1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own multiple pistols including 3 1911 and just recently got my first AR. Took out my buddy who rejects 1911s but is a big rifle guy. After he helped me sight in my AR we took out my Kimber Custom 2 tone 9mm. He was so amazed at how easy it was to shoot that well we took turns playing with that for several mags and left our Glocks in our holsters.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
People often forget the 45 acp round has more recoil than many people are comfortable with and that is often the only exposure some get to a 1911. A full size 1911 in 9mm is a easy shooting gun, IMO.

·
Administrator
72,962 Posts
The younger folk didn't grow up with 1911s, so they regard them in the same way some do Lugers or 03 Springfields. That's fine, but a true gun enthusiast is willing to expose themselves to ALL genres. A week ago I was shooting a pair of AR-15s. This week I shot a cap n' ball revolver of mine. Both are fun in their own unique way.

·
Registered
13,149 Posts
???------------ I LOVE the recoil of military 230 ball in a full size, steel 1911. It feels GOOD.

But I've never shot .45 ACP from a light plastic gun. That might feel crummy.

--

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
We now have several generations of guys walking around who have never fired a handgun or a rifle with a really good trigger. They're always amazed when you hand them one. Dsk - I LOVE black powder too. Just a big friendly shove.

·
Registered
891 Posts
The majority of the gun world thinks a Glock is the only gun that actually works. They also tend to believe that only plastic, striker-fired pistols are relevant today. So I think many people just dismiss the 1911 from ignorance rather than their own experience.

I started shooting 1911s about three years ago for a defensive pistol match because I thought the SA trigger was an advantage. Now, I have a 2011, a commander 1911, and carry an officer 1911. I see no need to look at other pistols designs based on how well I can shoot the 1911/2011.

I AM a 1911 convert. The results I can achieve with one are what influenced me. The fact that it's an American icon is just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Not surprised. When I was still gainfully employed in police work at a Dept. that did not issue firearms, I was a Dept. armorer and carried an approved Series 80 Colt. Our rangemaster was also an armorer, so I interacted with him quite a bit. I guess I set a good example for him, as he showed up one day with a 1911, told me his qualification scores went up, and carried a Series 80 Colt from then on. He especially mentioned the consistent, clean trigger pull of his Colt as compared with the Glock he'd been carrying....

·
Banned
7,779 Posts
The way I tend to convert peoples is via example by toping the leaderboard's and leagues and forcing people to acknowledge that the ancient design is very capable and beyond what modern guns can do

·
Registered
660 Posts
The younger folk didn't grow up with 1911s, so they regard them in the same way some do Lugers or 03 Springfields. That's fine, but a true gun enthusiast is willing to expose themselves to ALL genres. A week ago I was shooting a pair of AR-15s. This week I shot a cap n' ball revolver of mine. Both are fun in their own unique way.
Hey... I still like shooting air pistols. Sometimes I use them as a warm up at my range when its empty. Archery is a lot of fun too.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Hard to find anyone under 60 that even knows what an 03 is.

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
People often forget the 45 acp round has more recoil than many people are comfortable with and that is often the only exposure some get to a 1911. A full size 1911 in 9mm is a easy shooting gun, IMO.
MEN have been shooting this round in this gun for 100+ years w/o a problem. The small amount of recoil the gun and caliber generates can be dealt w/ by proper training. Remember Tom Hanks fired his one-handed and killed a tank with it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
The way I tend to convert peoples is via example by toping the leaderboard's and leagues and forcing people to acknowledge that the ancient design is very capable and beyond what modern guns can do
I just finished first in a defensive pistol match last Saturday shooting against 18 men and 2 women. Most are shooting plastic guns. However, we do have a couple other guys who shoot 1911s. One guy shoots a .45. No problems scoring his hits. I've also noticed how many time that .45 hole reaches out and clips the line, saving him from a penalty. It's made me consider switching to .45 for the matches. :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hard to find anyone under 60 that even knows what an 03 is.
Almost 28 here, wish I had me a 03 but I think I want a Garand first (just love the way they shoot).

·
Premium Member
3,836 Posts
I own multiple pistols including 3 1911 and just recently got my first AR. Took out my buddy who rejects 1911s but is a big rifle guy. After he helped me sight in my AR we took out my Kimber Custom 2 tone 9mm. He was so amazed at how easy it was to shoot that well we took turns playing with that for several mags and left our Glocks in our holsters.
A former staffer at my late, lamented LGS-&-range was anti1911. He didn't like the reset.

Me: They can cure that now. Here, try the reset on my new DW "Valor".
[after trying]

Him: That -is- the cure!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts