1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mostly negative, I'm afraid. Took my Kimber Custom One to the range today, shot 50 rounds and then coughed up $5 plus $12.50 for ammo (Lake City) on my range's rental G.I. The gun shot high and had way too much creep. More, the slide several times got stuck half way on the last round (my former mil spec did the same thing, though it shot to point of aim and had a crisper trigger). The $18.50 for the experience was well worth it because I had seriously considered getting a G.I. The gun's bare, elegant aesthetic pleases me; its performance does not. My Kimber, as usual, performed flawlessly. More than ever, I regret selling my Springfield stainless mil spec. It's sights and trigger were inferior to my Kimbers's, yet my accuracy with it was nearly as good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
I guess that's what you would expect of a potentially abused and ill-maintained 500 dollar pistol that you are not familiar with as opposed to a higher priced Kimber that you maintain yourself and know...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
wouldnt buy a kimber if you put a mil-spec to my head.:mummy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
eckerph said:
wouldnt buy a kimber if you put a mil-spec to my head.:mummy:

ouch, them's fighting words...

But seriously though, I tried a few kimbers and comppared how they felt in my hand, I would take the cheaper SA anyday....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
I have both a Springfield Milspec and a Kimber Gold Cup. Kimber is twice as expensive, but also twice as accurate and twice as "pretty." You get what you pay for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,383 Posts
I would never base performance on a rental range gun. Fit and feel yes, but not performance. Used and abused are fitting descriptions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
we have berretas for rent at the gunclub on base and these things are well worn. you cant base an opinion of a gun by shooting a rental, you dont know how many thousands of rounds put through it or when it was serviced last.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GunsnRovers said:
I would never base performance on a rental range gun. Fit and feel yes, but not performance. Used and abused are fitting descriptions.
You're right to an extent. But this gun looked well lubed and I know it's been on the range's rental shelf for a relatively short period. The trigger's creep is built in and those nubby sights don't help matters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
You never know what has been done to that GI. Its constant hard use, and spotty cleaning will have an impact on how well the gun performs. Most rental guns are beat-up garbage, and are only good for testing out a new prospective purchase to see if you like it's fit and feel. Though there are exceptions. My local indoor range had a generation 1 G17 that has seen 100k+ rounds and except for a few spring replacements, it runs every bit as good as a NIB G17. It also got cleaned only about once a month and a few drops of oil:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
i agree with the previous comments on range guns. I'm an officer at michigan tech's pistol club and I can attest that most of our ruger MK IIs have seen over 100K through them. Reliable, they are not. Usually there are 2 or 3 a night that will need to be stripped and cleaned. We're in the process of rebarreling on that has seen so many rounds that the chamber is over sized enough that cases a splitting. But even this gun will group under 1 inch at 50ft from a steady hand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Bought a Kimber first then the WW2 Springer. If I had the Springer first I would have stayed with Springfield and bought one of their loaded over the Kimber. The Kimber had to be returned twice. It is now 100% thanks to the rework and a Lee factory crimp die. My WW2 require no break-in or return trips. As for accuracy, I as slong as I can keep it in a 6" circle I'm happy. I shoot mostly steel plates in anticipation of competing in action pistol matches at my club. I consider these guns as defensive weapons not target or even hunting weapons. Minute of torso is fine by me. One note, I have rarely used the factory Springfield mag. I ordered 6 CMC 8 round blues for it.

A range rental...I wonder how often those springs get changed.

tjg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
eleiko said:
Mostly negative, I'm afraid. Took my Kimber Custom One to the range today, shot 50 rounds and then coughed up $5 plus $12.50 for ammo (Lake City) on my range's rental G.I. The gun shot high and had way too much creep. More, the slide several times got stuck half way on the last round (my former mil spec did the same thing, though it shot to point of aim and had a crisper trigger). The $18.50 for the experience was well worth it because I had seriously considered getting a G.I. The gun's bare, elegant aesthetic pleases me; its performance does not. My Kimber, as usual, performed flawlessly. More than ever, I regret selling my Springfield stainless mil spec. It's sights and trigger were inferior to my Kimbers's, yet my accuracy with it was nearly as good.

Thats like saying i own a mustang and test drove a 300k mile focus rental car. The gi in stock form is what it is, is it a tack driver like a wilson or kimber, no its a gun you can drop in the mud and keep shooting (done on accident chasing a hog) Only problem i ever had out of mine that wasnt magazine related was after 500 rounds of wolf and the ramp at a thick coat of crap on it, and after a quick scraping with a finger nail it was good to go again. Youd be better off finding someone that owns one and keeps better care than a range rental.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
I love my SA

I orig went in to get a GI, but was talke
up to the mil-spec. It has run great. Carried in harsh conditions still fires every time. A week ago we were shooting and we has rain, fog, nasty splattery mud. I shot my SA without problem, and my buddy's kimber jammed with what seemed like any crud.

Kimbers are tighter all around, but when the mud hits the fan i'd perfer my SA.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top