1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
34 is OK

Shane, I am a 1911 guy thru and thru, however, I have considered something for IDPA in SSP division. Two matches ago, I had the opportunity to run that of a friend after the match. I liked it for my intended purpose, and will strongly consider it if I go to the SSP division some next year.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have both the g34 and the g35. Their dimensions are roughly 1911 5 inch like. The platform loaded is lighter than an unloaded the a 5 inch 1911.
More than combat accurate, light recoiling and none of the reported reliabilty issues of the G22 when fitted with a light. I have carried both IWB and OWB with a light using a Raven Concealment holster with relative ease.

All of my 1911s have arched mainspring housings which minimizes the"pointing" difference between the 2 platforms.

If you thinking of IDPA, the 34 is the go to gun of the reigning champion, David Svengy(sp?).

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
('Sevigny', IIRC....)

The 34 is indeed a pretty light recoiling pistol; I;ve not used many light loaded 9x19 or .38 Super all steel 1911 variant pistols to be able to compare the two, although, of course, the latter is not SSP-eligible, unless in LDA trim.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
If you like the the grip on a 34 it would be a great pistol, if you don't like the grip so much give the M&P9L or Pro a try before you buy.
On a side note Dave Sevigny could shoot about anything and be a champ.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've had a G34 for about a year. Had some issues with bad reloads not feeding reliably. Finally got the proper loads into it.

Just did a speed steel match....it's sort of eerie.....so light, no recoil, points well, has a LOT of shots in even just the standard magazine...

I've been shooting revolver speed steel for about 18 months....and place generally in the lower-middle of the pack. The G34 took 2 seconds off my average stage the first time I used it. I'm more of a participant than competitor in any case.

As much as I prefer Revolver in speed steel, it was so much fun and so easy, I'm going back for more with the G34.

Shot one IDPA match with a G23. Not as much fun as I was planning on having....

However, for sure, G34 will be my enthusiastic "new pony" for a while.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I own a Glock 34 and a Glock 35. I shot IPSC for a few seasons and those were great guns. I still like both they they are used nearly as much as they used to be. They are also great house guns.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I briefly had my Glock 23 with the range masters 34 slide :rock: but he wouldn't let me buy it off him. That's a combo I could keep. (top franken glock in the pic)

At least as good as the old G17L I had, but more .... good.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I know an IDPA competitor how shot himself in the leg with a Glock. No he didn't touch the trigger. It went off after he stopped his draw and reholstered. It seem he jarred the Glock when he reholstered. This happened in the winter and it was cold, about 20. I have heard other stories of Glocks doing what they aren't suppose to do. Just proves stuff happens, even with a Glock. If somebody gave me a Glock, I would sell it and by a 1911.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
It's probably my favorite 9mm pistol. Accurate, fast recovery and easy to shoot. The only down side is it is a bit bulky and therefore not as easily concealed as other options. For range work it is a great gun and with the right holster and shirt it can be concealed. On the down side, personnally I can not transition from a Glock to a 1911 very easily. The M&P pistols match the grip angle of a 1911 better and are a decent compramise on a Glock.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I know an IDPA competitor how shot himself in the leg with a Glock. No he didn't touch the trigger. It went off after he stopped his draw and reholstered. It seem he jarred the Glock when he reholstered. This happened in the winter and it was cold, about 20. I have heard other stories of Glocks doing what they aren't suppose to do. Just proves stuff happens, even with a Glock. If somebody gave me a Glock, I would sell it and by a 1911.
+1 to that.

·
Registered
775 Posts
The G-34 was my second pistol after getting out of the service. Shot my best IDPA scores with it. With a Glock, I take re-holstering seriously. A stiff plastic holster that covers the trigger area is mandatory IMO, and look each time to make sure the holster is clear before inserting.
The G-34 is probably the fastest 9mm game gun out there, but for an all around pistol, I want an exposed hammer and a manual safety for piece of mind in gun handling.
A Glock is the last thing I want to shove in my pants in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I find my Glock 35 to be very versitile since it allows me to shoot 9mm,40S&W and .357Sig with only changes of barrels and magazines. It is accurate and reliable if not particularly aesthetically pleasing. Having said this, I still do not feel comfortable carrying it on a daily basis because of the way the safety works. On the other hand, it seems that it (Glock) is still the most widely carried pistol for law enforcement so folks much more knowledgeable than me must feel that it is a safe firearm.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I love mine and shoot 3-gun with it. Best shooting Glock I've ever tried, I made the transition from a 1911 with relative ease. The longer sight radius than other Glocks is really nice. I also replaced the sights with 3 dots that are very similar to the sights on my 1911. In perhaps a bit of Glock heresy, I've removed the extended slide release and replaced it with a stock one and will soon do the same with the mag release. I tended to ride the extended release so it wouldn't lock back when empty and the longer mag release I just find a bit annoying. But the gun shoots great and is cheap to feed.

For the lower round count of 3-gun vs IDPA, I can usually just show up with 6 or 8 loaded mags and never have to load while at the match. That's nice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts