1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
23,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and then I buy things on impulse. Even guns and I don't mean some 1911.

Last year there was one that I sort of blame on Hickock 45. He had a UTAS UTS-15 shotgun he was shooting in one of his U-tubes and then I saw a lightly used one in a gun store for $500. I figured logically I could play with it some and then sell it and probably not lose any money.

Of course when my wife saw it she mentioned that if I shot somebody breaking into the house with it then is that the gun you want them to hold up in court. I do have a Mossberg pump I bought back in the 80s for a shotgun so didn't NEED it.

More recently I had another impulse buy.

Still trying to figure out why I bought that. Seemed like it was logical at the time. It is fun to plink with at times.

Anyway, if you bought some gun on impulse are are thinking you shouldn't have done it then there are people that worse off.

·
Registered
607 Posts
You may suffer from FADD or firearms attention deficit disorder . I was diagnosed in my early 30's and my spouse has helped with the treatment .

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Ruger 10/22 50th anniversary addition.

Why? Cause I didn't have a 10/22, and "everyone ought to own a 10/22". Safe queen since the I brought it home November 2014. It has yet to go to the range. I have no idea if it will even shoot.

Excuse: I'm too busy breaking in 1911s.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
I've impulse bought several 1911's. Other guns I do my research. At least it's not as bad as people who impulse buy cars, houses, and wives.

·
Administrator
72,979 Posts
Define "impulse buy". I've never made an unplanned gun purchase right on the spot, but I have gone home, waffled on it, and returned the next day on many occasions.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
I have way more impulse buys than I am proud of. Worse yet, I don't own any of them anymore. Guns, for me, are a hobby that I am passionate about as well as a way to protect my family. If you aren't losing money, good on you! Have fun!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Oh, yeah, a few. Here are two from this year alone.

The last gun show I saw this: A ROSSI CYCLOPS in .357. I had never even heard of one, much less seen one. Price was right so I had to have it.

Earlier this year I'm surfing the shootingworld forum and spotted this little jewel. A AMT AutoMag in .22 Magnum. Price was too low to believe so I sent off an email. Reply was it was owned by a man who bought it years ago and just wanted to get his money back. I had a check in the mail the next day and even included some to help cover shipping. It arrived and was a joy to shoot. Accurate beyond belief. Then my son stopped by and tried it out. He fell in love with it so I gave it to him for his birthday. Dang!!

·
Administrator
72,979 Posts
The AMT AutoMag II .22s were cool-looking guns. It's a shame they didn't last long in the marketplace.

·
Administrator
72,979 Posts
Me too. Anything I buy, no matter what it is, I have to think about it first. I've lost out on a few really nice guns by hesitating, but it's just the way I am.

The best deal I think I ever got on a firearm was this excellent-condition S&W 915 I found priced at just $265 in a LGS. And yes, even then I had to go home and think about it overnight! I'm just lucky it was still there the next day.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
If I wasn't a starving mechanic, I would be the epitome of impulse gun buyer...I say buy away buddy. Nothing wrong with a little self indulgence.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Me too. Anything I buy, no matter what it is, I have to think about it first. I've lost out on a few really nice guns by hesitating, but it's just the way I am.

The best deal I think I ever got on a firearm was this excellent-condition S&W 915 I found priced at just $265 in a LGS. And yes, even then I had to go home and think about it overnight! I'm just lucky it was still there the next day.

Really nice fine!!
Scott

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I tend to think and even over-think every gun I buy. Of course, as I look over the sprawling collection I wonder, "most of these I have never shot. Why do I own guns I never shoot?"

If you can easily buy a weapon, perhaps you can easily sell a weapon also. I have a hard time parting with my firearms. I also am running out of room in the gun room.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
had 2 impulse marriages. guns are cheaper if you dont like them
That's the truth. Getting rid of a gun is positive cash flow. Getting rid of a wife is the exact opposite.

When it comes to guns, I'm a serial impulse-buyer. Ordered a Sig P320 online on impulse when I saw a good price on one. Got it home and cleaned it, took it to the range the next day and put 200 rounds through it, didn't much like it, so now it goes on Armslist. Lather, rinse, repeat.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Define "impulse buy". I've never made an unplanned gun purchase right on the spot, but I have gone home, waffled on it, and returned the next day on many occasions.
Two plus years ago I was in a pawn shop in northern WI, just looking around with a friend and my son. I was in the back room perusing rifles, my son said, dad the have an Anaconda up front. I went to look at the Anaconda and immediately noticed a Colt Python 2.5" sign said price and 1966! Told my son to go to Colt serial numbers on his smart phone - yup 1966 (52xxx) Never let go of it until I paid the bill - it was in nice shape, locked up well, no cylinder side wiggle, no buggered screws or lifted side plate and the grips were original and correct. Had not planned on it but was not leaving without buying it. The reward trip was returning to pick it up! 😁

1 - 20 of 41 Posts