1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some feedback from those that are using IMR 700X for their reloading of the 45. I am looking to try something new, but I would like something a little cleaner than Bullseye (what I have been using for a while now).

·
Registered
21,760 Posts
I load 700X in .45ACP. Not because it is better than other powders any way that I can tell, but because I load 12 gauge trap shells with it and am in the habit of buying 5 or 12 pounds at a time. So I use it in nearly all non magnum pistol calibers just for convenience.
A 200gr cast SWC and 4.8gr of 700X gives me about 850 fps, +/- depending on the gun. That is what I need for IDPA. Lighter loads for midrange target are about the same charge weight as Bull.
It is a rather large flake powder and does not meter as uniformly as ball or small granular powder. I have my Dillon's measure set at 4.8gr and get check samples from 4.6 to 4.9gr actual weight. Good enough for me.
Cleaner? I don't know; I'm shooting cast bullets so the lead and scorched bullet lube make it hard to see the powder fouling.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I also use 700-X for convenience. I can use it for shotshells, and the local skeet club sport shop sells it reasonably priced.

For IDPA, 4.3 gr 700-X with a 237 gr (wheel weight alloy) rnl gives me around 710 fps, just over 165 pf. For practice and general competition, 4.2 gr with a 190 gr swcl is a good all around light load.

I also noticed, Jim, 700-X doesn't meter as consistently as other powders thru a Dillon dispenser, but it's close enough. It's a decent all around powder, though, you can't go wrong with it.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss

1 - 3 of 3 Posts