1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else used either of these powders for 45 ACP, and what results have you achieved?

Opinions most welcome!

MAG-63

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim,

Thanks for the response.

Any particular reason you didn't buy more?

I have been using PB for 45 acp, 38 spl, and 45 Colt with very good results.

I've found it especially clean, and use comparable amounts to my old stand-by (W231).

MAG-63

·
Registered
21,913 Posts
I didn't buy more PB because:
1. Other powders give lower velocity variation.
2. I have no other use for PB, while I can load .45 ACP with 12 gauge powder; usually 700X.
3. I only care about "clean" for light revolver loads, for which I use Clays. I have been trying Clays for shotgun, but prefer 700X and will restock with it soon. The last half pound of Clays will load a lot of moonclip ammo.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim,

Somehow, I've never used 700X for anything although it would probably suit my needs just fine.
Do you prefer flake-type powders such as 700X for shotshells?
My favorite dual-purpose powder is WSF.
It works great in 45 acp and in my shotshell reloads.
Thank You for your time and responses.

Mark Groves

·
Registered
21,913 Posts
I prefer 700X to everything else I have tried in 12 gauge. I shot 20 or 30 pounds of 452AA when it was new and substantially cheaper, but went back to 700X when Winchester increased prices. I have also used Red Dot, Green Dot, AA+, and now Clays, but still like 700X best. It seems more uniform at the light, extra light, ultra lite, and way, way, light target load level.

I have not tried WST and consider WSF to be a bit slow for my application in either 12 gauge or .45ACP.

I am at present loading .45ACP with some old 452AA, but when it is gone I will likely try Titegroup - I feel I owe Hodgdon some business after the help Phil Hodgdon gave with pistol loads for that 452AA - but it it does not offer advantages in metering or shooting, it will be back to the 700X for .45s, too.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like now might be a good time to try 700X since I'm almost out of WSF.
I surely hope that Hodgdon continues to market all of the IMR series since they now own them.
(Their website says they are going to).
Thanks again Jim!

·
Registered
21,913 Posts
OK, but bear in mind that 700X is a pretty large flake powder and will not meter as close as Ball. It does well enough for me and velocity and accuracy are as good with measured loads as weighed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts