1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finding powder around here has been a lost cause. Any shipments to the major outlets is gone 10 minutes after they open. But a local tucked away feed store has a very good supply of bullets, primers and some powders. I picked up some IMR SR7625 based on their load data book as it looked to be good for 45 ACP and maybe mild/std .38 spl, .44 spl and even mild 45 Colt. I have no experience with IMR powder and hope the members can give me some of their experience. The manager told me he usually has it on the shelf. SR7625 is a couple bucks more expensive per lb. than other brands but I'll pick up more if you folks recommend it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
486 Posts
IMR’s web site has a Handloader’s Guide that lists SR7625 for 45 acp.

http://www.imrpowder.com/pdf/IMR_handgun.pdf

“The powder charge weights specified represent loads that developed Maximum Allowable Chamber Pressures with the test barrels and components used, with the exception of loads that are specified as (C) compressed charges and therefore may represent case capacity rather than maximum chamber pressure, and loads that duplicate factory velocity. All tests were conducted utilizing commercial barrels in a Universal Receive”

I would reduce the loads by 10 to 12% and start there, working your way up to what is listed as max load.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
I got a bit over 3 lbs. from a fellow reloader a while back. I use it in both 45 and 9mm ... plated and FMJ. I like it. 45 rounds are loaded in the middle to upper middle of the data and 9mm a little closer to the top. It tends to leave a little "soot" on some of the empties but it's still fairly clean ... strange as that may sound. But I haven't loaded down near starting charge since first working up in increments when I first got it so really cant comment on how it does in real mild loads.

Probably my "worst" metering powder but still meters pretty smootly in my Redding measure. More important, the drops are consistent. There is just a little more frequent cutting than the others (231, AA2, AA5).

If he usually has it in stock, maybe shoot some up and see what you think before buying more. The only thing that would prevent me from routinely buying it is that it's not as economical as 231.

·
Registered
761 Posts
IMR’s web site has a Handloader’s Guide that lists SR7625 for 45 acp.

http://www.imrpowder.com/pdf/IMR_handgun.pdf

“The powder charge weights specified represent loads that developed Maximum Allowable Chamber Pressures with the test barrels and components used, with the exception of loads that are specified as (C) compressed charges and therefore may represent case capacity rather than maximum chamber pressure, and loads that duplicate factory velocity. All tests were conducted utilizing commercial barrels in a Universal Receive”

I would reduce the loads by 10 to 12% and start there, working your way up to what is listed as max load.
It has been a while since I have used 7625 in a .45acp load. But what I do remember is that the published load I used was indeed a max load. Starting with a 10-12% reduction is sound advice. Stay safe.

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
I have only recently begun testing with this powder, but it shows promise so far. I have an 8 pounder of it that I bought when I couldn't get my favorite (SR4756), but load data and burn rates looked similar. It is a little smaller flake than the SR4756, but that may prove to be a benefit in the ability to measure consistently in a volumetric powder measure. My initial tests have been nice so far for the upper-middle/lower-upper load map, but final results I don't yet have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts