1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simply out of curiosity, I have a question for some of the more experienced firearm and tactical folks out there (I am still wet behind the ears at 26). If the SHTF what would you want to have at your disposal in a tactical situation that could possibly require not only close quarters battle but also a feild and urban environment as well? My best guess would be a pistol, a shotgun, a rifle of some sort, and a knife? But which ones? What is the best way to be prepared in what I am describing as an almost a war-like situation? Forgive me if any of this sounds ignorant, but I just love picking brains of those who are knowledgeable and have been around the block a couple of times.

Thanks,

-S

·
Registered
421 Posts
good running shoes.;) ;) .

if i can can get out by running the best 40yd dash of my life, cool.

if not, a customized Kimber classic gold match, 1 spare mag, 1 6p surefire light, 2 spyderco folders, and the determination to go home to my wife and kids.

in an 'end of civilization' scene, most any good rifle or carbine would do. i just personally like my Bushmaster shory. a good Remington 870 12g w a couple of different barrels for different puprposes would be good. i mean, after you repel boarders, you'll hafta hunt to eat, right?

also, a good .22 rifle/handgun for 'quiet' work.

dan
(slydel0kt)

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have my Idaho ranged weapons. Urban isn't very dense, and well, that's what the semi-auto AK is for. Anything close it works wonders as well.

Long-range past 100m, I have my FAL.

I've got a variety of handguns as backup, and if I need to enter a building that bad, I have a Mossberg 12 gauge with 18.5" barrel and folding stock and tacticool foregrip.

Day to day, well, I practice with snap-aim and milk jugs at 25 and 50m and my 1911. If that doesn't cover it, I lay down fire and go for the car and pop the trunk and get reloads and a shotgun or rifle.

·
Registered
238 Posts
3 1911 .45’s
S&W 629 magna classic
S&W 686 2.5”
S&W 642
Beretta 92 fsc
Pre-ban tec-9
Browning buckmark
3, .357mag derringers
2 rem.870 police magnums
w/top folding stocks
Daewoo ar110c .223
2 18” 12guage SXS
Chinese sks
Astra .44 mag

Plus 20 others I couldn’t carry

·
Registered
200 Posts
Last night my father and I tried to remember how many guns we own between the both of us. We had forgotten alot, but we have about 40 between the both of us. Tens of Thousands of rounds of ammunition, stored away in 2 places.

Theres only one I wouldnt trust my life too, and thats a Kahr Thompson.

We have food, gold, silver, water, tools, clothes, and so forth.

Most importantly is the will to survive. With out that, no point in anything else.

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
In the situations you describe, the ability to avoid having to fire a weapon will be the best thing you can have.

But if you are making your way home in this bad situation you should have at a minimum:
1911 with 3 extra mags
Long bladed knife: Kabar
AR15 M4 type with 10 extra mags
Pump action 12 ga shorty with extended mag and a 50 rd bandoleer of buck and slug.
.308 main battle rifle (FAL M1A, etc) with 6 spare mags

and the most important thing of all:
about 3 other guys to help you carry all this stuff.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
sean_205 said:
If the SHTF what would you want to have at your disposal in a tactical situation that could possibly require not only close quarters battle but also a feild and urban environment as well?
I would want a radio to call in arty, tac air, and a SEAL team. But that's just me. If the rest of you want to go it alone with a 1911 and a pair of running shoes, good luck :D.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the following:

SA 1911 & 6 mags
Ruger P95 & 3 high-cap mags
(2) S&W mod 19's & 4 speed loaders
S&W M36
Taurus M85
Makarov 9x18
(2) SKS & 900 rounds ammo
plus a few lever actions, with ammo.
12 ga. Mossburg 500 with 20" brl, 8 rd. mag.

There are more, but I couldn't carry any more.

·
Registered
788 Posts
assuming we're talking civilian world, there is but one setup I ask for right now, and it's all stuff I own. SHTF around here, we're talking about defending the home as far as I'm concerned, for me this is my 12 gauge (Mossberg 500A) with buttstock (screw that pistol grip business), and a bandolier of extra shells. The Commander riding backup IWB with 7+1 on board and my 4 8rd mags standing by. Top that off w/ a fixed blade combat knife, and the home is defended till I run out of ammo or life. Should I need extended range firepower, there is a scoped .30-06 in the house, but I'd be more likely to use the ol' Winchester 1894 as I'm faster with it and very much minute of human accurate out to 200yds which is about twice as far as anything clear to my home is at any rate.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Re: Re: In a tactical situation, what would be at your disposal?

K1500 said:
I would want a radio to call in arty, tac air, and a SEAL team. But that's just me. If the rest of you want to go it alone with a 1911 and a pair of running shoes, good luck :D.
I want K1500 on my team. :D

Originally posted by BillD
about 3 other guys to help you carry all this stuff.
Isn't that why we all drive pickemup trucks? ;)

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Its not very urban where I am. I have several rifles that could start taking out the enemy at a considerable distance, and bunches of shotguns, handguns and a couple assault rifles at close range. More importantly I have family and neighbors nearby. And most people here have pets that would alert them of intruders even before they were aware of them. Hell, I have two of the only CATS i've ever seen that get up and growl if they hear something strange--they've alerted me several times to people stopping. Dogs are probably more menacing though... :p

·
Registered
816 Posts
All good ideas: knife, handgun, shotgun, rifle. I'd add to SHTF kit a hatchet to be able to make firewood, a gas mask, and always having plenty of gas in your vehicle to flee and put distance between yourself and any threat.

I'd fear having to bug out w/ and finding the gas tank empty.

RJ

·
Banned
967 Posts
Glock 30 with a few mags for up close.

Scope M1a with several mags. Scope is easily taken off with the Arms mounting system to go irons when needed for anything out to 200, scoped good to 600 with range finding reticle.

Double barrel 12 ga. and a bandolier of 55 mixed loads

Two flashlights on me, several knives of various designs.

Tac vest will hold the m1a mags, cyalumes, first aid, knife etc

My BUG bag over the tac vest, can live out of it for a week for two.

Bug contains lights, heat, ammo for m1a in two bandoliers, 100 rds of 45acp, MRE's, clothes [ long underwear, two camo BDU's in idferent patterns of urban and white ] , poncho, canteen, a fixed and folder, first aid, blanket, sleepng bag, two man GI pup and a small Night Vision handheld.

Brownie

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
And never, ever forget the CLaymores:D

·
Registered
992 Posts
They're placed in front of the howitzer, and mortar pits in the front lawn. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
877 Posts
I prefer to set the Claymores just inside the line of bushes that surround the perimeter of the front yard. The bushes hide the tripwires and the paper boy has a little extra margin for error when he makes a bad throw. :biglaugh:

As an aside, I know a guy who really does have a Howitzer in his front yard. I think the bore is 155mm (not sure). :D

1 - 20 of 82 Posts