1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
:blaring trumpets: MODERATOR ANNOUNCEMENT :blaring trumpets:

Gents, please take the religious debates to PM's as suggested.

I am tempted to close this, but will let it run a little longer because I fully believe that Jesus would be packing heat if he were on Earth today.

Keep the discussion FIREARMS oriented, and leave the non-firearm religious diatribe out of it, if you please.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you were going to have "In God We Trust" engraved on a 1911, I would suggest getting a Dan Wesson. Their logo already incorporates a cross.

This reminds me of an old thread on rec.guns, wherein someone asserted that God carries a 1911. When the obvious followup question arrived ("Then what is the Devil's weapon of choice?"), the forum moderator replied, "Legislation."

·
Registered
402 Posts
BarbWire said:
only problem with that is that isnt the real bible either... the vatican has the one bible and wont show anyone else what it says... the king james version is a translation version of the bible written more to help the kings of england retain control of their subjects than further the word of God. just makes me wonder what the vatican has to fear if people are allowed to see their "secrets". the true word of God should not be kept secret by a handful of men.
You are partially correct. The Vatican Library does contain the gospels that were included in the bible. But for a little clarification their never was 1 Bible. The Bible was actually constructed of various texts that were discovered throughout history. In fact none of the Gospels in the Bible (and there are Gospels not included in the Bible) were actually written until years after Jesus had died.

A Little Historical Theology:

Gospel - a text written about the life of Jesus
Apocrphal Gospel - a Gospel thought to be authoritative
Biblical Gospel - a Gospel thought to be authoritative and chosen to illustrate the beliefs of the Church, thus included in the Cannon (ie. the Bible)
Heretical Gospel - a Gospel thought non-authoritative

The book that we refer to as the Bible is actually a selection of historical text that were chosen to serve as the religious cannon.
There are many Apocryphal texts (psalms, gospels, letters) that were not included in the Bible. They are available for reading, maybe difficult to locate, but any University with a Theology program is likely to have them. They are also likely to have a selection of Heretical Gospels, the most well known are the Gnostic texts.
Why all the confusion? Simple. The people of that time recorded history largely through oral traditions (story telling and songs). Over time the story gets distorted or misinterpreted as the original deciples and thousands of witnesses of Jesus each had a different perspective. Also, no one person was given the task of recording these stories, so while the Gospels cover many of the same events in Jesus' life, have slightly different descriptions of those same events.

The King James version is one Biblical Translation. Personally, I don't have a huge problem with reviesed translations. People speak english differently today than they did in the 1600s. But I do think that some translations are a little too liberal in the language they use.

FUN FACT:

Two old testament books have been omitted from the current Bible used in protestant churches. They are still included in any Bible with an imprimature (a seal given by a Catholic Bishop, check the first couple of pages for a little "+" symbol).

Another FUN FACT:
The earliest known Gospel was written 30 years after the death of Jesus - The Infancy Gospel of Thomas, an apocryphal text . Its a very interesting read about a child Jesus aware of his power, but with actions, thoughts, and behavior of a young boy. It truly illustrates the human quality of Jesus. It is considered authoritative, but not included in the Bible. my guess is that it was not included because there is very little to extract from it. It doesn't really address moral questions or fundamental beliefs.

This should not be confused with the Gospel of Thomas, a heretical text made popular by the movie "Stigmata". The closing credits of the movie mention that the Vatican is hiding this Gospel. Odd statement since I had a copy about a year or two before the film, and shortly after the movie came out every bookstore put copies on the shelf for the "spiritually inspired by hollywood".

·
Registered
96 Posts
If MO ever gets the CCW sorted out and I get one, I probably would carry in church. If a person is known to me (and I think they are a stable sort), I would give permission for them to carry. Everybody just needs to remember that if I am in the pulpit, then even the people in the back row are well within my effective range with my 1911.
Brother,

You now have the green light.

Go protect your flock!

Tom

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
bring_the_noise said:
This reminds me of an old thread on rec.guns, wherein someone asserted that God carries a 1911. When the obvious followup question arrived ("Then what is the Devil's weapon of choice?"), the forum moderator replied, "Legislation."
LOL!

:biglaugh:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Sorry folks. There's no discussions of religion allowed here. This helps to keep things as peaceful as possible. Shane asked you to keep it firearms oriented. Stay safe, Gary

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.