1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My only shoulder rig to date is for Sigs (holds my 220 and 228). I'm looking for a shoulder rig for both 4" and 5" 1911 single stack pistols.

My preference is for a rig that allows the muzzle to ride upward at about a 45 deg angle, and carries two mags under the strong side arm. A clip or strap down to the belt on the strong side is optional. Clean thumb break with snap and, of course, comfortable.

Full vertical or horizontal carry of the gun is not desirable. Anybody have any thoughts or experience???

TIA...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Check out the alessi bodyguard...it is pretty much the apex for this design.....Lou uses a pull through snap instead of a thumb break which is incredibly fast and less bulky......Matt Delfatti also makes a really great one with a thumb break if you want to cover the firing pin...his mag carrier is also horizontal which makes access to them a bit easier...here's one in brown with an optional cuff case...either way you can't go wrong..

http://www.delfatti.com/New photo series for web site/SR&CC.JPG[/IMG]

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Lou can provide his Bodyguard rig with single or double mag pouches, soft or hard, vertical or horizontal.

I have examples of all of these mag pouch configurations.

The traditional approach is a soft vertical (buillets down) pouch, but he can do it however you like.

The pull-through snap in the triggerguard is THE best retention-release mechanism in a shoulder rig IMNSHO, since it's secure, but avoids that extra fiddling with the thumb break; just grab and pull.
So far as I know, nobody else offers this option.
Lou will make any of his Bodyguard rigs with a thumb break, though, if that's what you really want.
There are some guns (eg, Glocks) which he WON'T make the pull-through snap for, due to concerns about possible ADs.
The 1911, of course, having an "affirmative safety", is just fine with the pull-through snap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses so far.

My preference for the thumb-break was due to familiarity. I've never seen Alessi's "pull through snap" design, but I'm willing to check it out.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
353 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
holster

Check out a Don Hume shoulder holster.

Jim

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
sawbones...I didn't know Lou still offers horizontal..he told me he stopped offering the horzontal some years back after many new mags were polymer and wouldn't stay in with his magnetic design..doess he offer a covered snap now on his horizontal pouches? by the way..you mnetioned soft and hard....I assume my old style is soft leather but what is the hard leather like?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Hi P7;
His horizontal mag pouches (I just got another rig from him last week with double horizontal pouches) have snap flaps. They're not magnetic.

This was a special order, for a vertically-oriented 1911 shoulder rig. You might have to specifically ask for the mag pouch orientation that way, but Lou can certainly do it.

Also, the fact that the pouches were for thin flat 1911 mags might be important, and he might well not offer them for thicker (eg, polymer) mags. Dunno.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Thanks Saw....one more thing...are the horizontal mag pouches as concealable as the vertical? I mean do they stick out at all? I wouldn't really mind vertical if it is a slimmer design...also, about the hard vs soft leather which did you order and is there a comfort difference? All my old Alessi shoulder rigs are soft leather and they held up pretty well......if the hard is like the hard molded leather like my ISP, I may just opt for all soft....leather and pouches....by the way, what is the wait time? I'd really like an all black rig if possible also....

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Hi P7;

I think the horizontal double mag pouch is equally as concealable as the vertical one, at least with 1911 mags. With larger, thicker mags, I think the vertical soft pouches might be a better choice.
I actually have a couple of Lou's rigs for Glock 30s that I have with single pouches, due to the bulk.
If you want this for a Browning P35, for instance, you'd almost certainly want a vertical pouch setup, and likely single, whether soft or hard.
The leather of the hard pouches is just as hard as finished holster leather, FWIW.

Best.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
It's for the P7 so I guess I'll go with double soft pouches...I assume the holster leather is only offered in hard molded which is fine with me...I emailed Lou and am awaiting a response...

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Hi P7;
As you may know from having some of Lou's work, his holsters and mag pouches can be pretty tight at first.
I had to stretch the horizontal hard leather pouches by wrapping 'em in plastic bags at first. Now they're fine.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I actually just ordered it from rfholsters ...black with double soft verticals...thanks again Bob...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Two Words

"ANDREWS LEATHER"

I also have the Monarch rig w/ the three spare mag option, great balance, very comfortable. Wouldn't have anything else.

He says all of his products have a lifetime guarantee, That's his lifetime not the product.

My brother has a galco, it doesn't even compare.

Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts