1911Forum banner

IN THE WHITE Sries 80 GVT

933 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  FR8owner 
#1 · (Edited)
I had just receintly picked up this series 80 government model made in 1983, It has NO finish on it, It looked as though it was well oiled and kept under the seat of a truck for 20 years, I took about 2cc of muck and grunge out of the trigger workings, and replaced the grip safety which was disabeled, And now this black sheep went to the range, At 15 yards it groups as well as my new 80 GCNM, So, It shoots better than I do,
It currently has red fingernail polish front sight, and some odd thumb safety, I took the time to play around with the finish and used some Flitz on both sides of the slide, and on the right side of the frame, Turned it into almost mirror,,,,,, Now for the fun part,
WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH THIS UGLY DUCKLING ??????????

It had a really bad set of Pachimier grips that were well past their due date on it, And All I had laying around to through on it that didn't matter were the Springfield grips, But they fit the bill for now,
This is a fun gun that I can do whatever I want to without hurting it's value,
I am not interested in spending tons of $$$$$$$$ On the duckling, But I wont be embedding rhinestones in it eather,
The MSH is arched and grooved, It shoots great, I have a 18# wilson combat spring in it already,
What would you do?
It is a hobby, not an addiction!!!!!!
I am looking forward to hearing what you would do if you had an ugly ducking to tinker with!
PB

See less See more
#2 ·
The thumb safety is an aftermarket. If it were my pistol I'd put a Colt thumb safety back on it, and send it to either EGW, Cylinder & Slide, or maybe even Colt to have it reblued. Otherwise you've got a good platform for a custom gun if that's what you fancy. Getting it refinished in a brushed hard chrome instead might not be a bad idea either.

By the way the Series 80's came out in 1983.

#5 ·
dsk said:
The thumb safety is an aftermarket. If it were my pistol I'd put a Colt thumb safety back on it, and send it to either EGW, Cylinder & Slide, or maybe even Colt to have it reblued. Otherwise you've got a good platform for a custom gun if that's what you fancy. Getting it refinished in a brushed hard chrome instead might not be a bad idea either.

By the way the Series 80's came out in 1983.
I agree with dsk. I would either send it to Colt for a re-blue or to Tripp Research in Texas to have it hard chromed. Put Colt parts back on it first.

#7 ·
I see a real commander hammer and grip safety, ditch the thumb safety and go with a colt one as said above, and install some delta elite style sights and a new solid long trigger and finish her off in a nice black matte with a new set of pachy's. Mayber a NM barrel bushing and a trigger job if funds permit. Umm colt goodness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.