1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My first AR was a Bushmaster patrolman. At the time I bought it Obama was in office and I bought one because I could. I paid about $200 over the going rate at the time which was good because they were selling for so much more a few weeks later.

I mounted an Eotech red dot and later a Romeo7. However I didn't like the front sight post blocking my field of view. I was advised to replace the front sight post with a low profile gas block or to red-neck the front sight with a Dremel. I didn't like either 'solution'.

Upon my search I came across an AR Stoner upper from Midway. It is a complete upper, gov't contour 16" barrel of 4140 Chrome Moly Steel with 1:8 twist, no front sight. The barrel is not chrome lined. No big deal for me. The upper ws $229 + shipping. I took off the upper from the Bushmaster and mated the Stoner upper. I added a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 with the Vortex cantilever mount for $299. I couldn't be happier.

A relative of a coworker was in the market for an AR. I decided to sell him the Bushmaster. I took off the Stoner upper and reassembled the Bushmaster and broke even on the sale. That left me with the AR Stoner upper with the Vortex scope and no lower.

I had heard so many good things about PSA. In videos and in forums like this one. More pros than cons. So I had this upper with no lower, a very sad state of affairs. I went to the PSA website and bought a blemished complete classic lower for $119.00 and finished my inadvertent budget build.

The AR Stoner upper has been discontinued.

AR Stoner upper - $229.00
PSA Classic Complete Lower - $119.00
Vortex 1-8 w/mount $299.00
Total $647.00

I've been shooting the Mk 318 Mod 0 62gr OTM getting 1 moa at 50 yards and a little over 1 MOA at 100 from a very solid bench with near perfect conditions.

Shooting from prone, sitting, kneeling and standing is all together different. We won't go into groupings in those positions. The targets are human size silhouettes. I've been able to keep my shots in the 8, 9 and 10 rings at 50 yards shooting at a moderate pace, double tap. Bring the rifle to the low ready and raising for another double tap.

These results are not under any duress. One of the shooters advised me to get myself under duress by getting my heart rate up by running a couple of laps or running in place. Then shoot the drills over with an elevated heart rate. I gotta tell you shooting is more challenging with your heart rate elevated. You're breathing heavier while trying to steady for the next double tap.

As you can see it's a very clean and basic look which works for me as I tend to be a minimalist. I have gravitated towards the 20 round magazines over the 30 rounds. I use a 10 round magazine when shooting from the bench. I am improving my drills from the various positions. It took 5 years for me to complete my inadvertent budget build. I am happy with my long term, budget build. :)

a
Air gun Machine gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Duress? Running vs being shot at, two totally different things. I think paintball with just a face shield (no pads, and in shorts) will get your duress up.

Reactions: DPS1911A1

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Duress? Yeah…….coming into a hot LZ and taking ground fire while trying not to hit the trees with my rotor….that takes the pucker factor up serval notches.
BTW, to the OP: I did a build very similar to yours - a Stoner upper in 7.62x39 from Midwayusa (on sale for $249) with a PSA lower (Also on sale). Then scope and mounts and a new YH gas block - what a fun “build”. Throughly enjoyed it and it shoots just great - my hand load or factory ammo (old left over stuff from long ago). Very please with it. Enjoy yours and train, train, train. And when you think you trained enough, train some more.

Reactions: DPS1911A1

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Duress? Yeah…….coming into a hot LZ and taking ground fire while trying not to hit the trees with my rotor….that takes the pucker factor up serval notches.
BTW, to the OP: I did a build very similar to yours - a Stoner upper in 7.62x39 from Midwayusa (on sale for $249) with a PSA lower (Also on sale). Then scope and mounts and a new YH gas block - what a fun “build”. Throughly enjoyed it and it shoots just great - my hand load or factory ammo (old left over stuff from long ago). Very please with it. Enjoy yours and train, train, train. And when you think you trained enough, train some more.
When I bought my Bushmaster I had zero AR knowledge and they indimated me. Of course all those issues were put to rest when I spent time at the counter of my GS and they sales guy was very patient and helpful. Fast forward had I known about PSA and others where you could buy parts and pieces to build your own less expensively why would anyone buy OTC. More and more guys are building their own AR systems because of the simplicity and lower expense of it. My other is the Troy Industries XM177E2 Son Tay Raid replica which too is a very simple and basic in design.

At the end of the day when you have to defend yourself against peaceful protestors dead is dead whether using a build like mine for $647 or a custom build upwards of $2000 and more. I guess if you happen to earn a very comfortable income you buy what you want. Me I tend to be conservative on all my purchases with the exception of the XM177E2.

It's such a badass looking rifle, isn't it?

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

1 - 8 of 8 Posts