Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really know where to start.
More bad technical advice here lately than in a loooooong time.

First, see if the guy giving the advice does it for a living.
Second, look at his previous posts.

If 8 days ago he was unsure of thumb safety function (on/off, up/down),
perhaps give his advice a bit of scrutiny.

·
Registered
90 Posts
PW,

I'm sure it is no small amount of time that you spend on this forum shaking your head at some of the things you read. I appreciate all of your knowledge and your willingness to share it. I'm sure you've saved a lot of people a lot of time and money. Keep it up, and thanks again!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I hope you don't mean me, but that is very possible. I am new to the forum, and do tend to stick my nose into things.

I am trying to keep out and simply learn by reading. You guys have an enormous well of knowledge and experience and I wouldn't want to do anything to make you want to stop sharing.

Again hope it wasnt me, and if it was I humbly apologize. I can only imagine how irritating it must be to read something that makes no sense.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts

Not only do we get incorrect advice, we get an attitude to go with it. It is a wonder to me when I see a well established Pistol Smith be told they don't know what they are doing so they stop trying to help people with pistol issues.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
I hope you don't mean me, but that is very possible. I am new to the forum, and do tend to stick my nose into things.

I am trying to keep out and simply learn by reading. You guys have an enormous well of knowledge and experience and I wouldn't want to do anything to make you want to stop sharing.

Again hope it wasnt me, and if it was I humbly apologize. I can only imagine how irritating it must be to read something that makes no sense.
I don't think it is you. I do enjoy watching your videos. You do a very good job explaining procedures. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
There's a certain type of person who will just argue a point despite all the evidence to the contrary to the bitter end. All you can do is post the correct info for more enlightened individuals to read and let the person continue to think that you're an idiot. :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Welcome to the Noobernet :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
There's a certain type of person who will just argue a point despite all the evidence to the contrary to the bitter end. All you can do is post the correct info for more enlightened individuals to read and let the person continue to think that you're an idiot. :)
LOL, I agree. I love your work by the way!

Thank you for all you do on this forum. You have been a huge help for me and you didn't even know it.

Thanks again,

Rob

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
LOL, I agree. I love your work by the way!

Thank you for all you do on this forum. You have been a huge help for me and you didn't even know it.

Thanks again,

Rob
You're very welcome. To be fair, I may have even been guilty of taking a point or 2 too far on occasion. :)

As long as somebody learns from it, especially me, it was worth it. :)

·
Registered
1,825 Posts

This isn't your forum you don't own it and you don't control it. I know where you're coming from, I see it, I'm a novice and I see bad advice here everyday. But it's open to EVERYONE, of all skills levels. Maybe you want this to be your domain and those that "do it for a living", but it's not. Maybe you want it to belong to you, to Warner, to Chambers, to Burton, and block replies from anyone but those you deem worthy.

And I'm dead nuts certain that you were once a novice and gave bad advice and screwed the pooch on guns more than you want to talk about.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm positive in the course of me "learning out loud" I probably come off this way at times. I'll try to do a better job of keeping my rambling away from folks seeking knowledgeable advice.

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Agree with evry word of the OP.

I would like some clarification on the other posts. I am one of those people who has given bad technical advice at times. I only do that out of ignorance. I really love it when one of the masters tell me when I am wrong and why. Maybe I just don't understand why we are here. It seems to me that when everyone is in agreement, nothing is learned.

If I am not welcome to post what I think I know, I am in the wrong place.

Since you were the OP, Chuck, I'd like a response. If the rule here is to have only the masters respond, tell me and I will never post here again.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Agree with evry word of the OP.

I would like some clarification on the other posts. I am one of those people who has given bad technical advice at times. I only do that out of ignorance. I really love it when one of the masters tells me when I am wrong and why. Maybe I just don't understand why we are here. It seems to me that when everyone is in agreement, nothing is learned.

If I am not welcome to post what I think I know, I am in the wrong place.

Since you were the OP, Chuck, I'd like a response. If I am in the wrong place, tell me and I will never post here again

That's exactly what you (we) are being told.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ok I'll tell it like it is. Mr. God's Gift to gunsteel is talking about me. I didn't decide in the 1980s or 70s or the 30s whenever it was he started working on guns, that I wanted to be a pistolsmith. I was a construction hand that got disabled by cancer. So I started doing cylinder throats and barrel throats. I do pretty good at it, as there is a steady stream of work in the mailbox. People are happy with the work.

I got terms a little mixed up yes. I was talking about a class of hardened steels that gun makers are now using for barrels. They CANNOT and WILL NOT be reamed or throated with a HSS reamer. End of discussioni.

So I apologize for the confusion, and for the mistake that I made by lumping this into the term "black oxide."

However, since many of you fellas here are eager to gladhand one who makes a public mockery out of a member and enjoys it, that puts you just about the same place as it does him. If 30yrs in the pistol business makes one into the arrogant A$$ that he is, looks like I made the right decision.

With all due respect sir, I am glad for you that smithing has paid your bills and made you a living for 30yrs. Congratulations. You made it. I shall depart the cliquish and self righteous company that I have wandered into and let you have your little fishbowl and all your little fishies can worship you for the rest of your days.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.