1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are two long depressions stamped in the sides of the lower portion of the 13-round magazines that is lacking in the 15-round magazines. If you drill a hole near the upper end of those depressions, with diameter the same as the width of the depressions, and also clip half the length off the two plastic studs on the bottom of the follower, the magazine will hold 14 rounds. I think it might be possible to further modify it to hold 15, but haven't really looked at that yet.

I'm not saying this is a good idea - just interesting.

·
Registered
296 Posts
There have been stories about people dropping their modified HP magazines and having the rounds get all jumbled up. I'd sure test the notion out before carrying said magazines for self defense.
Best,
Rob

·
Registered
747 Posts
If you cannot hit what you are aiming at with the first 13 rounds one more is not going to help!

·
Registered
153 Posts
My BHPs are range toys and I like the quality and reliability of my 13 rd mags, especially the mouse traps ones. I've got a few 20 rd Mec-Gar mags for fun.

I am happy leaving them the way they are. I do think it's cool that there is a clever mod. to add one or two rounds to the 13 rders.

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got a bunch of 15-rounders. Since I've owned my Hi Power for fifty years, I've got a bunch of 13 and 10-rounders lying around too.

I've only been to a range twice in my life. Is there some benefit to them that eludes me? 🙂

·
Registered
972 Posts
If ya' get into a situation where 13 rounds ain't enough...ya' probably got problems bigger that what one more round is gonna' fix.

·
Registered
594 Posts
When it comes to magazines and reliability McGar is the best and should be left alone... buy some 15 round mags and save the 13 round for the next assault on firearms, their owners and magazines by the left.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I dont like to modify magazines, they are more reliably if left alone

I live in a a state where factory 13 rd mags cannot be replaced, not risking modifying a mag

·
Registered
972 Posts
....or the next actual lethal "..assault.." by some sociopath in a shopping mall, movie theater, school, etc. in a hoodie with cargo-pants pockets full of 25, 30, 50 round magazines. '..left..', 'right' or dead 'center' doesn't matter one little bit when the '..body count..' and casualty list is provided by local law enforcement at the post-incident press conference.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"I live in a a state where factory 13 rd mags cannot be replaced, not risking modifying a mag"

I don't even travel through states like that.... 🙂

On my Kimbers, I usually have to modify the durn things just to get them to feed reliably. A mixed blessing - I use that as an opportunity to add a round to them as well.

As far as round count, I'm also quite content with my 5-round J-frames.

·
Registered
374 Posts
There is no reliability penalty with increasing the 13's to 14. The difference between the 13 and 15 is only the special hollow follower in the 15.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I suppose that what it comes down to is; '..just 'cause I feel like it..'...in which case...go fer' it.

BUT....when shortening the '..legs..' of the original magazine feed/follower, make sure the angle of feed remains un-changed.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts