1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the least expensive, not cheap, plain jane 1911? Norinco? Springfield? Though good things have been said about the Norinco's I don't think the are readily available any more.I want something similiar to the classic GI pistol. I have a Kimber Compact and just want parkerized full-sized gun. I do not have an FFL.

tjg

·
Administrator
72,074 Posts
Find yourself a good used Colt M1991A1 for a decent price. A Springfield Mil-Spec would be 2nd choice. Stay away from Auto Ordinance or Rock Island Armory.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
141 Posts
Take a look at a Charles Daly, priced right, lots of extras, and the 2 guys I know who own them are well pleased with them.......

·
Registered
953 Posts
You have received good advice. The 1991a1 is the best "plain jane" out there. I picked another one up for a Charles Daly trade in and $200. You just can't beat 'em.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I would look at the Charles Daly and the Mil-Spec Springfields

·
Registered
967 Posts
I can't argue against the 1991 as I just bought a beautiful stainless one. The few that I've been able to handle have all shown great fit and finish. Accuracy is always more in the shooter than the shootee.

As for a classic, mil-spec "cheap" 1911, I would have to say nay to the Springfield. I have one; it's not that cheap, though it is a good gun if you get a good one.

Chas Daly is horrid. I looked at two of them at the store not too long ago and I was disgusted. I don't know how they shoot, but I don't know anyone that ones them and they have never been well-received as the other makers have.

If you want cheap-to-buy, and still have a really good 1911, something that everyone speaks highly of, even calling it the best bang for the buck, your best bet is the Sistema.

Built on Colt machines under license, they were produced in Argentina(?) for the military and police. They are fully interchangeable with our 1911s and come in great condition. The usual cost is below $400 for a mil-spec shooter with matching serial numbers on all parts. It's a great base gun for future customization or for general carry.

Honestly, 1911's are addictive. I have one in hand, another on the way and am already looking to buy a third! When that third one gets here, you can bet it will be a Sistema.

------------------
When reason fails...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Although I am no expert, my Springfield Armory 1911A1 Mil-Spec has been very reliable and shoots better than I can. I too was looking for an "inexpensive, plain-jane 1911" about two months ago, and I think I made a good decision.

K

[This message has been edited by Kirb (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
554 Posts
You might also consider one of the Argentine Sistema 1927 pistols. 100% Colt compatible, build on Colt machinery. JLD and cruffler.com have nice ones for $300. I'd post a picture of mine, but the PhotoUsa site is down, so my pictures are captive.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The comment about Rock Island Armory being a 1911 to stay away ffrom is off base. Took one of the base 1911's and had it RC tested by Cylinder and Slide; the only parts that were suspect were the hammer pin and the sear pin; the slide stop was a tad sort to be activated. Out of the box it shot 2.5" groups at 20yards and shot everything it was fed, from JHPs to LSWCs.

Auto Ordnance ia also seeing an improvement in quality, since Kahr Arms purchased them.
They are an inexpensive 1911 partly do to lower advertising budget.

In the world of 1911's, having carried on on duty to exciting places of the world and tothe range for over 20 years; from a professional stand point all the companies put out crap. Considering the numbers of Kimbers, Springfields, Colts, etc., there are several in every production run that should not get out of the factory but they do. Yet these are still the greatest production 1911's; look at all the gun rags.

For that matter I have had my hands on several 1911s from Baer that I wouldn't give you a pluggen nickel for. They only fed one type of ammunition reliably, were jam-o-matics; and these are high-end production pieces. Thanks but no.

I have seen Wilson's 1911s choke and puke too. I would take Wilson over a Baer for small things like; no sharp edges, standard fixed sights, etc.

Preference for a semi-custom would be a Nowlin. They make alot of the parts that are stamped with other name brands, they are concerned about customers, and the pistols are damn accurate.

A common problem in the world of 1911s is getting caught up in the NAME game. Just because it says so and so or such and such, makes it no better or worse. Decide what your needs are and go from there.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hello,
There were a number of Colts made in Hartford that shipped to Argentina. They recently cambe back. You can find them for around $400 in good shape. They will say Commercial Colt on the side and mine is tight (frame to slide) barel is bit loose, but that doesn't bother me. The gun shoots well and I know others who have purchased them, they all enjoy there pistol.

Anthony

·
Registered
287 Posts
Actually I quite enjoy my Charles Daly.
It shoots better than I can and looks very nice.
The pistolsmith I took it to to replace the mainspring housing (I prefer arched), was rather impressed. And then I told him how little I paid!
No, it was not a garage hack either. I will not say who as I cannot speak for him. I will say he has worked on 1911's for more years than most other name 'smiths.

Every maker has bad products from time to time, nature of the world.
Take a look and judge for yourself.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Pinetree,

Many different opinions here. I would say all are logically justified except for Vaughn T. A person who judges a product w/o personally trying it out has no credence. I have a full size Kimber and full size Charles Daly. The CD is a great and reliable 1911. Check out the CD archives.

good shootin', gunny

1 - 20 of 31 Posts