1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at taking my first tactical hand gun course next year.

I sure could use some suggestions on what to
look for when gathering information about
classes and any recommendations on schools that are worth looking into.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Originally posted by sned45:
I'm looking at taking my first tactical hand gun course next year.

I sure could use some suggestions on what to
look for when gathering information about
classes and any recommendations on schools that are worth looking into.

Well I took my class' at FTA. However, from where you live...it'd be quite a drive to get here. But I recommend them. The group there are nice and helpful. Whats also nice is their classes are 1-day, sometimes 2 on the weekends. So you won't have to lose too much money (hopefully) going to it as opposed to a 5-day course...

You might want to check the gun shop you frequent or gun shops in your area and ask if they know of any good ones if any in your area.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Recommend www.Gunsite.com or www.Thunderranchinc.com. Also search thru the Training Talk forum at this site for other input/opinions. There are many good instructors & schools out there besides the two I've mentioned.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey San Jose! You live at the bottom of 680 and I live in Fairfield, up at the top end of 680.

If you want a very decent experience without having to go far, check out the Halo Group at www.thehalogroup.com. My experience there was very good (for the price). The instructors I had there were very knowledgable and experienced, although they're totally Glock oriented. The facilities are quite primitive (no accessories available, no gunsmith on hand if you have problems with your firearm, no food and drink provided, etc.)

If you don't mind some moderate travel, Front Sight (like AAshooter said) is the place. Just outside Las Vegas, it offers first-class training in a facility that is being built to first-class standards. When I was there last (May of this year), things were still somewhat primitive, but they're constantly building and improving. The actual range areas were excellent already. They do have accessories if you need them, a gunsmith on the premises, and they provide food and drink.

The training was fanastic. I'm a professional training manager (not on firearms) so I know good instruction and instructors when I see them, and these guys were great. They were knowledgable, patient, inspiring, and confidence-building. They are also very "customer-oriented" (they know how to treat you so that you'll come back and recommend them! Can you tell?)

Of course Gun Site and Thunder Ranch are legendary, but they're in Arizona and Texas respectively. And there are many others, such as Lethal Force Institute which have an extremely good reputation.

I recommend Front Sight. You won't be disappointed. If you're interested and it can be arranged, maybe we can make some sort of Bay Area group trip kind of deal and share the expense of driving. I am planning on going back for more training in the spring some time. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Why wait until next year?

Start this weekend by shooting action pistol with us (California Gunsports) at the San Jose Municipal Range. For a meager fee of $10 for the whole night, you'll go through a series of tutorials that will drastically improve your shooting skills. Shooting fundamentals, drawing from a holster, tactical reloads, low-light engagements, etc.

More info: http://cgs1999.homestead.com/gunsports.html

If nothing else, you can talk to people who've BEEN to the aforementioned schools. Like my buddy who is a life member of Front Sight.

------------------
~ ScorpioVI
http://tacticalpursuits.com

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ScorpioVI, I'm going on vacation this saturday and won't be back till Dec 3rd. I will have to attend the action pistol after I get back.

I have never drown from a holster with a loaded gun (have a few time unloaded) will that be a problem?

RANash a bay aera group trip might be fun to do.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Originally posted by sned45:

I have never drown from a holster with a loaded gun (have a few time unloaded) will that be a problem?

Absolutely not. Everyone has to learn somewhere, and I learned how to PROPERLY draw from a holster from this club. A night will be designated for holster-qualification.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts