1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a web search just yesterday, I discovered these recent pictures of Canadian military personnel with their Inglis High Power pistols. Hope they are of some interest. Keep in mind that the most recent possible manufacture date for either of the pistols shown in use here would be October of 1945! (Any doubts about the dates of the photos should be dispelled by the fact that both of these fellows are wearing the only-very-recently issued CADPAT field uniforms...)

Sgt. Rick Smith, "B" Squadron Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) on the range, near Zgon, Bosnia-Herzegovina, November 2002

Canadian Forces Sgt. Alain Martineau unloading his pistol prior to entering the Coalition Forces camp, Kabul, Afghanistan, July 2003

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: production date source?

cswaffie said:
What is your source for finding year of production? I'd like to look up mine. TIA.
As you are probably aware, all Inglis pistols were manufactured in 1944 and 1945.

Clive Law has the production ranges for both T and CH series pistols summarized in Chapter 19, "A Data Summary", of Inglis Diamond: The Canadian High Power Pistol (pp 266-267.)

They are broken down by month, except for the earliest and latest production, which are lumped together (i.e. Feb - May 1944 and Aug - Oct 1945.)

If you don't have access to this excellent reference (available from Service Publications ) let me know your serial number and I could look it up for you. Mind you, it is well worth having for the price (US$49.95 + $8.00 shipping.) The gold-plated pistol depicted on the coverjacket is a presentation piece made for Canada's WWII Prime Minister, William Lyon MacKenzie King, although he died before it could be presented:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Grant, your lanyard is better than what I have seen. I have a book "Special Forces" and in it they have the hi power, with the lanyard that you have. Where did you pick it up?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Re: production

GrantR,

Thanks for the clue on Law's book. I'll have to get that. Serial number is 1T2914.

Another question, if you don't mind. I noticed on your HP, the safety's thumb piece goes only 2/3 of the way across. Mine goes all the way across. Was this added during the FTR? (It was FTR'd at Enfield in 62.) Many thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lkblair said:
Grant, your lanyard is better than what I have seen. ... Where did you pick it up?
I honestly can't remember! Have been collecting such items, along with web gear, for the past 2-3 years. If I'm not mistaken, this one, and another like it, were e-bay purchases.

However, do not despair! I have since learned that P&S Guns and Militaria, up here in Canuckia, has them in both "gray/green" and "khaki" for US$8.50 each + shipping - which I believe isless than I paid! Here's the linke to Jean's "miscellaneous" page - scroll down to items 926 and 927:
P&S GUNS AND MILITARIA - MISC

The items he has illustrated do appear to be this pattern of lanyard - i.e. thick cord, double throughout (rather than a single strand,) one end having a "standing" (i.e. fixed) loop for "through and back" attachment to the lanyard ring, and the other sheepshead knot being a "slider" - (I hope Jean won't mind me linking directly to his pictures if it helps make a sale):

Here's a view of this type of lanyard on my MkVI Webley, which may give you a better idea of whether this is what you're looking for:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cswaffie:

Your Inglis would appear to have been made in late August 1944. Serial number range for this model, during that month, was 0T7824 through 1T3223 (i.e. from 7824 through 13,223).

The Inglis safety thumb levers were all of the type shown on my pistol, so far as I am aware. Inglis Diamond does depict a 1963-FTR'd British pistol in Ch. 12 ("The High Power in Postwar Britain") which has a full length lever like you describe, though the text does not specifically mention this change as one of the operations involved in the FTR process.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts