1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have inherited some guns from my grandfather. My question is leagally must I inform the DOJ? I live in California. If so where do I get the forms? And where do I send them? Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
From your last post....

EOD Guy said:
In California, it is legal for a grandparent to give a grandchild a handgun without transferring it through a dealer. If the pistol was bought in California in the 60's, it should not be registered unless your grandfather voluntarily registered it.

If you want to register the pistol, go to the California DOJ Firearms web site and download a firearm registration form, fill it out, and send it along with $14.00 to the California DOJ.

You must be legally eligible to posses the handgun.

See the Link: http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf
Good luck.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Meka said:
I have inherited some guns from my grandfather. My question is leagally must I inform the DOJ? I live in California. If so where do I get the forms? And where do I send them? Thanks
Yes, legally you must inform the DOJ within 30 days of taking possession of any handguns and you must have a Handgun Safety Certificate. You do not have to notify them of any rifle or shotgun transfers.

See California Penal Code Section 12078(c)(2).

You can get the forms from the Cal DOJ web site. See the link.

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Denstone, no I did not ask this question on this forum before. The replies to the questions I posted in the general forum gave me responses like "If it's not papered don't bother." "If I were you I would not register it at all." And Abramovich, I am perfectly aware of the post that stated if I want to register it to send in the standard form and $14 to DOJ. It is not that I want to register. I need to know if legally I must. I appreciated the response to my previous post but the fact is my question was not answered. EOD GUY thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts