1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a hunting rifle this year and with a moddest(under $400.00 )budget. I am looking at the Vangard(Weatherby), Remmington 710 or Winchester 70(shadow) in 270 win. Has anyone a sugestion or a recomendation on any of the listed items, or have experienced and of the above. Thanks in advance..... ROFI

·
Registered
84 Posts
A friend has a Vanguard that was dirt cheap and is dead accurate. That would be better than the REM with the plastic lined action for sure. I just can't see it lasting.

Not had a "shadow" in my mitts, no comment.

postban out

------------------

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
What distance are you going to be shooting at? If the distance is modest, I suggest getting a lever action a la Marlin or Winchester.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan on using this rifle to hunt white tail here in Michigan and do not for see the range of 100 yards to be on the outside of a possible shot.

I too looked at the Vangard last night at Wall Mart (exclusive)and it looks to be an excelent deal @ 385.00 all I need is rings and scope to top it off.
I think I will hold off till the week-end as there is a gun show here in Novi (Michigan)and a deal or two my make them selvs seen .

I am thinking 270. but my Father-in-law is very adamant about the 30,06 any input on this topic too..ROFI

·
Registered
286 Posts
.30-06 is the best all around caliber for North American hunting in my opinion. Fast, hard hitting and will drop anything on the continent. Some states do not allow you to use anything less than a .30 caliber to hunt big game with as well, that could be a consideration. I use a Remington Gamemaster in .30-06. It is a pump, great piece!

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

·
Registered
445 Posts
HEY ROFI:GUNNUTS HERE,Just my 2 cents,BUT! Don't buy your guns at big chain stores,go to a couple of local gunshops,look around,get some prices,on the gun and scope and mounts together,if something brakes drown the road,or you want to trade up those change stores will not help much if at all,support your local gunshops ,someday you might not find any.GOOD HUNTING and MAKE the first shot count!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts