1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you install a series 70 hammer in a series 80 1911 ? I have a Remington R1 1911 and I want to install a wide spur checkered hammer in it. All the aftermarket hammers that I looked at that have the checkered wide spur design are all 70 series. I really don't want to eliminate the series 80 firing pin block in this Remington, I just want to change out the hammer. So, will a series 70 hammer fit and work properly in a series 80 1911 without doing major modification other that maybe some slight fitting ? Thanks.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Series 70 hammer will work without any issues. It may need to be fitted like any new hammer would be. There is a forum member who dropped in a NOS WWII era hammer in his series 80 1911. In his case there was no fitting required.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Yes.

(Wow, Fred typed all that - and he still beat me. :) )

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
The difference is in the position and cut of the 1/2cock notch,the 80s use a shelf and the 70s are captive of the sear.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
As you can see in this picture with the 70 on the left and 80 on the right, the only difference other than carbon vs stainless in these two examples is the half cock notch. The series 70 is an actual hook, which some call a captive half cock notch and the series 80 is just a shelf. Colt decided the captive half cock was not required on the series eighty hammer for their pistols. Other manufacturers that employ the trigger actuated firing pin block may do things differently. There is no reason, as stated above why you can not make the switch you desire. You may want to include a new sear and have them mated up though.

·
Registered
440 Posts
On a normal series 80 with the shelf the hammer will fall when the trigger is pulled from half (quarter) cock.

On my series 80 Auto-Ordnance this is not the case as it has a hook rather than a shelf so even though it is series 80 the hammer is series 70 style with the hook.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts