1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of sending a 1911 off to be lightly customized. One modification is going to be a change to slim stocks (grips). I see in the shops price list two procedures: Install grip bushings, Stake grip bushings.

My question; Is staking the bushings necessary under normal use?

I assume that normal installation includes lock-tite and fileing of any length of the bushing that intrudes into the mag well.

While my pistol is away, is it worth another 30 bucks to have them staked?

Thanks in advance.
Chad.

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
Some of us just apply a tiny drop of Loctite to the outer threads and tighten them. I use the high strength Loctite, as heat applied correctly will break it down if I ever need to remove the bushings.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
It won't matter (staking or loctiting) one bit ... until you try to remove a grip screw and find that the bushing turns out instead, and then it will matter ... a lot! ;)

But seriously, if cost is the issue, go get some red loctite instead and do it yourself when you get the gun back - haven't checked in awhile, but I'd be shocked if a little tube costs $30, plus as PP said, you can get 'em back off with heat if you decide to go back to standard bushings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts