1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible? I'm using Wilson (actually, Wolff, I believe) springs on a short (standard length) guide rod. I always get a new scratch when installing a new spring on the guide rod. It's fairly deep, but seems to polish off with a few cycles of the spring. And it doesn't matter whether I turn the spring clockwise, counterclockwise or just push it straigh on.

I know the tighter spring end is there for a reason, but is there a way to install it without scratching your GR? Or should I just not worry about it?

TIA

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I think it is designed that way so the guide rod holds one end of the spring tightly (so the gun will function properly.) I use a stainless steel FLGR in my Baer, it does scratch as you mentioned. Since it's an internal part and as long as it still working fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
When they cut and wind the wire for the spring, it leaves a burr at the end of the wire on the inside of the coil. You can feel it with your finger and usually see it too.

I know the parts are internal and nobody knows about the scratches but me...but...I hate them! So, I use a dremel and stone to remove the burr before I use the spring - I used a small file before I bought the dremel. No more scratches, even with tightly wound springs.

Mikey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts