1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Questions on Installing S&A Magwell on a Warrior

OK, my Warrior still hasn't arrived (been told in the next few days). My Tactical grips and S&A Magwell have arrived. Now I'm no gunsmith or even wannabe, but I'm fairly good at working with things of this nature. My question is, has any of you added this to your Warrior? Did it "drop in" perfectly? No filing? No hammering to bend the "arms". This will be the most expensive gun I have and I'm hoping the nicest looking. All the instructions I have read make this seem like a pretty easy installation as long as everything fits. Has anyone needed to do any modification? Or was it as simple as it sounds?

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Being a gun without the Series II safety, you won't have to worry about the push rod sticking up too far with a new MSH or magwell. It should be a drop in. You will not have a smooth transition from the funnel into the magwell since the Warrior has a bevel on the bottom of the magazine well. You can file and blend the funnel to fit if you want.

The legs may not be flush with the bottom of the gun, most S&A magwells aren't flush all the way across the leg. If you hold it up to the light, you will most likely see a small gap. You can pound on the legs a little but you need to be careful about changing the angle of the legs and the MSH retaining pin hole. If you bend the legs too much, the hole won't line up.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The the funnel you are talking on the inside of the magwell?

Any pictures of this?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roger that. That is what I thought.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
This is a professionally "high dollar" installed blended magwell. The blending takes place where the "funnel" meets the frame.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Kruzr said:
Being a gun without the Series II safety, you won't have to worry about the push rod sticking up too far with a new MSH or magwell.
Would you (or someone else) mind expanding on this a little bit? I recently installed an S&A on a Series II TLE and am curious as to how the MSH would effect the "push rod". I was under the assumption that the grip safety activated the safety. I installed it, ran 500 rounds through the gun, dis/reassembled and didn't seem to notice anything strange.

Maybe I'm not clear on what you mean by "push rod". I'm sitting here wondering how the MSH has anything to do with the Series II safety.:scratch: Now you got me worried. ;)

Mine was essentially a drop-in. I am in the process of blending it now. I found that by installing it, and then taking a hooked dental pick, I was able to make a score line on the inside-top of the legs where the bevel of the grip frame meets the mag well. Saved a lot of time by not having to reinstall a bunch of times and seeing if the bevels were matching up. Just a little detail work and its off to get re-bead blasted.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
LeMat,
If the new MSH/magwell doesn't allow the grip safety to sit back far enough, the push rod will stick up above the frame and it will be difficult or impossible to get the slide off. The push rod will get caught in the recess in front of the FP stop plate. If this happens, you need to take a little material off the faces of the two tabs on top of the MSH. This allows the GS to sit back far enough to drop the push rod flush with the frame.

The push rod is that little piece next to the disconnector that engages the plunger in the slide when you hold in the grip safety. It is what releases the FP block.

·
Registered
704 Posts
OK, I gotcha. I thought about it some more today and came up with basically the same thing, but thank you very much for verifying that for me. :)

Upon closer inspection, I see that there is some rubbing towards the rear of the bottom of the slide, behind the plunger caused by the push rod. I could feel a slight hesitation when attempting to remove the slide (seeming to come from that very area) and can't imagine that it would be anything else than that push rod sticking up a bit too far.

I think I may take a few thousandths off of those tabs and see if I can alleviate that.

Thanks again! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts