1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the factory ambi-safety with a CM safety. I am new to 1911's (a convert from Glocks) I thought this part would drop right in. Once its on it won't go from the fire position to the safe position. It will only go about one third of the way up towards safe. Does this part require fitting, or am I improperly putting it back together?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Yep, it needs fitting so the lug will just clear the sear.

Compare the new one to the old one, it may be obvious. If not, assemble the frame with the triger, sear, disconnector and hammer, but leave out the grip safety. Also removing the safety plunger and spring (from the little housing above the grip) makes the trial and error part easier.

Lay the leaf spring on the sear/disconnector and slide the Main spring housing on just far enough to add tenison to it. Then pull the hammer back to full cock and insert the new safety. Looking in where the grip safety goes will show you where the safety lug is contacting the sear.

Remove metal here and try again, go slow, and check often. You want to remove enough that the safety will "just" clear the sear when moving up to "on safe" position.

Better instructions are available... but hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts