1911Forum banner

Installing slide stop/release

1395 13
I read somewhere about a tool called a wigget(sp?) that is suppose to help you install the slide stop without making an idiot scatch. Anybody know what I'm talking about.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23,696 Posts
Tom,
The Widget is made by Pachmayr, and is just a swizzle stick with a flattened end you can slip under the slide stop to depress a too-long plunger to seat the lever. You ought to be able to improvise something by grinding down a toothbrush handle or just a strip off last year's credit card.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=581547

Col (and Tomm, too)
Your slide stop plunger is likely too long. You can replace it or shorten it.

·
Registered
23,696 Posts
Wear areas look pretty normal to me, except I don't know what that divot in the bottom of the slide stop shaft is caused by. Unless it is a mold mark.

Your plunger protrudes more than the Colt, Caspian, and Springfield I just looked at. It should be short enough for the bevel on the slide stop to depress so you can reassemble the gun without a tool.
Maybe the plunger is too long past its shoulder, maybe the shoulder in the plunger tube is too far forward. Hard to do anything about the tube, but you can shorten the plunger tip. Chuck it in an electric drill and apply file and stone to shorten and round it until it works.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.