1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
The hard part is getting the old bushing out of the frame without buggering them. Put a screw in the bushing and use visegrips to unscrew the bushing, the screw will keep the bushing from collapsing when you clamp down so you can unscrew them.

·
Registered
802 Posts
pokey

Ditto Ken

Just put a set of the slim Mc's on a friends Kimber - he loves em.

I heat the bushing with a soldering iron tip for a while to loosen any locktite, then using a lot of downward force with a Brownells grip bushing bit, turn slowly, keeping the screwdriver as square in the bushing slot as possible.

This usually works, but some bushings are made of softer metal than others and the slots will round off anyway...

At that point
, I use Ken's method
, and get the buggered one out. Sometimes they come out easily, but you might lose one - spare sets are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
JSP,,,
I have the bushing tool from Brownells and it works great when the bushing cooperates, other times its the vise grip. Good tip on the heat to soften any loctite, I neglected to mention that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I stripped a bushing out trying to remove it recently and I used a set of "screw outs" to get the bushing out. They worked very well, just be carefull and take it slow.

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
Installing slim grips.

pokey074 said:
just wondering how one goes about installing slim grips and how involved it is. i have a Kimber Ultra Carry with an ambi safety that i'm thinking of putting McCormick slim grips on.

Having installed quite a few I would alert you to look inside the frame to make certain that neither the new bushings or the new screws protrude into the magwell/frame. I have had to shorten screws with a bench grinder or a file several times. Other wise your magazines won't drop free.

I suggest using blue Loctite adhesive on the bushings and "screwlock" or Loctite 222 on the screws if you can find it. The grips will often shoot loose pretty easily without some way to lock the screws. If you use Loctite on the screws but not on the bushings or the same strength on both, the bushing will come out with the screw on disassembly.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I suggest using blue Loctite adhesive on the bushings and "screwlock" or Loctite 222 on the screws if you can find it. The grips will often shoot loose pretty easily without some way to lock the screws. If you use Loctite on the screws but not on the bushings or the same strength on both, the bushing will come out with the screw on disassembly.
I suggest *not* using loctite unless you find you need it...never know when you might want to change back to standard size bushings. I use the bushing tool from Brownells and replace from thin to standard all the time with no problems...and I've never had any come loose on me.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
A little play in the grips

I get just a bit of play after installing my gunner grips. I checked the grip bushings and they are tight and the hex head screws are tight. They are on my Kimber and are original bushings and screws. The gun came with the rubber grips and there was no play with them.
Here is where the problem might lie...I had Tripp research plate the gun last year, are there supposed to be gaskets or shims or little washers on top of the grip bushings?
Sorry for posting this here but for some reason I cannot post a new thread :hrm:
Bill

·
Premium Member
20,259 Posts
Several of us are having an issue with loose Gunner grips. I think they were just drilled incorrectly. I bought some small rubber o-rings and that holds the grips tight, but the screws are protruding more than I like. Waiting for a return email.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
AZ...Thanks

AZ Husker said:
Several of us are having an issue with loose Gunner grips. I think they were just drilled incorrectly. I bought some small rubber o-rings and that holds the grips tight, but the screws are protruding more than I like. Waiting for a return email.
I actually had this same issue but less so with a pair of Micarta grips...I was thinking about the rubber bushings myself...something like that or small metal "washers" just to take up the slack a bit.
I will wait for the solution...Thanks for responding...!
Bill

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Loose Gunner Grips

AZ Husker said:
Anyone hear anything on this???...I am going to send an e-mail as well.
Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I received a response from Christine Simonich...

silversport said:
Anyone hear anything on this???...I am going to send an e-mail as well.
Thanks,

Bill
...that they are looking into this problem and will get back to me...I will post when I learn anything.
Bill

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Loose Gunner Grips...Temporary Fix!

This may not be the answer we were all looking for but I got a possible "fix" for the loose grip panels for now at least...gotta thank Automatic at USN for this fix...
take a small piece of electrical tape and place it over the bushing...make it so it breaks open through the tape (tape on frame surrounding the bushing)...now do this to all 4 bushings...replace grip panels and screws...voila'...grip panels are now rock solid and they are closer to the frame than if you used the "O" rings...
Bill

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
silversport said:
This may not be the answer we were all looking for but I got a possible "fix" for the loose grip panels for now at least...gotta thank Automatic at USN for this fix...
take a small piece of electrical tape and place it over the bushing...make it so it breaks open through the tape (tape on frame surrounding the bushing)...now do this to all 4 bushings...replace grip panels and screws...voila'...grip panels are now rock solid and they are closer to the frame than if you used the "O" rings...
Bill
Sounds like a good solution. :)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Omigosh!!!

Pokey074...I am SOOOOOO SORRY!!! I didn't mean to hijack your thread...I initially wanted to aske something and start a thread but for some reason have not been able to and...whooops...I am SORRY man...REALLY!
Bill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts