1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a good chance I'll be installing a pair of thin grips on my Stinger. I know the bushings will have to be changed to facilitate the thinner grips. If I recall, there was a thread about this very same topic a few months back, but my search failed to produce it. Any advice or hints on installing the think grips?

Thanks.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Beware that ambi safeties and thin stocks are USUALLY mutually exclusive. Get a set of thins that allow the ambi, I think Chip McCormick sells them.... or get a non ambi thumb safety installed. Be sure to specify "officer or compact" length stocks.

My favorite local gunsmith has a tool to stake the bushings in,,, might be worth asking around

good luck with that mini-TRS

------------------
Rust never sleeps

·
Registered
48 Posts
Craig Spegel makes thin grips for 1911's that have the ambi safety cutout I have several pair including a set on my Stinger and my PremierII, LW 2. Craig's phone number is 503 368-5653. His thin grips are .200 thick rather than than the standard .250.

[This message has been edited by martyu (edited 10-15-2001).]

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you want to get the original bushings out
get the bushing remover bit and then get a soldiering iron and put it on the bushing in the gun, let it get nice and hot and presto it comes right out. They put lock tite on the bushings which make it very difficult to remove them that's why you must heat them up! Also put your wife\girlfriend's clear nail polish on the new bushings threads so that they will stay in place and be relatively easy to remove if necessary.

Ybbeat

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you buy some Loctite #222, meant for screws smaller than 1/4 inch, the bushings can be removed with hand tools and without heating. In my previous note where I spoke of Craig Spegel's thin grips I failed to mention that it is only necessary to file the standard bushings down to the point where the screw driver slots are gone. This will automatically put them at the correct height for his thin grips. Before you get too excited, if the bushings MUST be removed at a later date one only needs to file a screw driver slot in the modified bushings. I have never had need to remove them and I am not bothered by doing it this way. If you are, replace the bushings before putting on thin grips. But I would rather not remove them unless absolutely required, for fear of messing up the threaded hole, because of the staking of the original bushings.

[This message has been edited by martyu (edited 10-15-2001).]

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you have trouble removing bushings, like I have had on my 1911's, the hot iron can help with the removal! I would not recommend spending a hour filing down and cutting new screw slots into old bushings. Craig includes the slim bushings with his grips which you can install in less than five minutes. Then you can spend the other 55min. shooting!
Just my opinion!

Ybbeat

Steel is real baby!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, let me get this straight. All I have to do is unscrew the old bushings (assuming they're cooperative), screw and loc-tite in the new bushings and I'm done. Is it that easy? I've learned to expect the worst from seemingly simple procedures.

Thanks.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Ivanhoe,
First remove stock grip bushings (most difficult part). Then degrease frame at bushing holes. Use red loctite on new bushings and screw into frame. Allow loctite to set up overnight. Then put on your grips. It is that easy.

------------------

·
Registered
737 Posts
Ivanhoe, you are getting some good and some bad advice here. I put thin grips on my Stinger and there is a special problem that you need to be aware of. The bushings are NOT standard size on the Stinger. The ones you get with your thin grips probably will NOT work. I talked to Les about this when I ran into the trouble. The new bushings drop right through the frame hole for the lower screw. He has deliberately oversized those two frame holes to keep some heavy handed guys from stripping out the frame. Thin bushings that will fit the Stinger frame are not available from Baer. I filed down my original bushings and that worked out ok. It was kind of a pain. I obtained my thin grips from Allan Yoast. He was not aware of the problem at that time, but he sure is now. This very desireable change sounds simple to do, but it is kind of tricky. Best. Watch-Six

------------------
Get your 1911s and AR15s while you still can!

[This message has been edited by Watch-Six (edited 10-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Watch-Six (edited 10-23-2001).]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Watch-Six,

I own a Stinger that I replaced the grips with Craig Spegel thin grips, I was unaware of the bushing size difference you brought to my attention. Thanks much for the Info.
Marty U.

·
Registered
737 Posts
martyu, my grips are Slim Tecs. I doubt if that really matters. Another bit of info for Ivanhoe. The two larger holes were quite difficult to get the old bushings out of. The two smaller ones were easy. That is when I found out that two of the holes were larger. I had to put those two bushings that were hard to get out right back in! The smaller holes worked ok with the new bushings that came with the grips. The whole process was quite a bother. It sounds like martyu had no such problems. Perhaps the frame holes were changed at some point in the past. My Stinger was bought in 2001, so I think it is of current production. Good luck to all. Watch-Six

------------------

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Why not contact Baer and let them suggest the solution? Geez...after spendin' that much money with someone, They'd be the FIRST I called for EVERYTHING!!!

...I'm sure they'll be glad to help. I can't imagine them not supporting a customer that came to them for help.

...If they don't , at least you'll know what NOT to do!
Good Luck with the pistol...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I did talk to Les about it. That is how I became so enlighted on the subject. He offered to take care of it if I sent him the gun. I didn't want to get hit with the UPS bill. He did sent me some new bushings, but they were of course the same as the ones that were already on the gun. I kept them in case I ever want to put standard grips back onto the Stinger. I have no complaint about how I was treated. Best. Watch-Six

------------------

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Watch-Six,

I bought my Stinger this year too but only filed the bushings down. I didn't remove them. Mine is an aluminum frame Stinger which I would dread removing the bushings from, if thinner ones were available. By the way I really like the supported barrel Les uses to prevent wear & tear to the frame. I also own a Premier II, LW 2 which also has a supported barrel.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
When replacing grip screw bushings you must be sure that the bottom end of the bushing doesn't go past flush the inside of the mag well & interfere with magazine insertion & release. The bushings aren't necessarily a "drop-in" part. Some fitting may be required.

------------------
ElrodCod
NRA Life Member

1 - 15 of 15 Posts