1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there removed the I.L.S. from your 1911-A1 loaded and replaced it with a regular main spring housing with a more beveled mag well?

Can you leave the I.L.S. out of the gun?

·
Registered
117 Posts
It's a standard, interchangable part. Springfield proudly proclaims the ILS system can be "retro-fitted" to older models without any modification.

What can be "retro-fitted" can also be "proto-replaced."

We don't need no steeeeeeekin' trigger lock.

------------------
What part of "shall not be infringed" needs 'splainin' ???
----------------------------------------------------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loader Forum

·
Registered
38 Posts
For what it's worth, if you're going to carry
this pistol, think very carefully before removing
any safety device.
Should you ever (God Forbid) have to use this gun to defend yourself, any lawyer that may end up involved ('cause you will get sued)
will eat you alive.

My humble opinion.
Steve.

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
Originally posted by armedbutnotdangerous:
For what it's worth, if you're going to carry
this pistol, think very carefully before removing
any safety device.
Should you ever (God Forbid) have to use this gun to defend yourself, any lawyer that may end up involved ('cause you will get sued)
will eat you alive.

My humble opinion.
Steve.
Thanks for you opinion, but I disagree. That is overblown hype that is pushed by a certain gun writer. Any defense lawyer worth his salt would 'tube' that argument in a minute flat.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If you are going to replace the mainspring housing make sure you order some additional parts. You will need a new mainspring, mainspring cap pin, and a mainspring cap. The factory mainspring is much shorter than a standard mainspring. The ILS system doesn't require a mainspring cap pin. The mainspring cap on the ILS is a lot deeper than a standard part. I changed the firing pin and the firing pin spring as well. Springfield uses the titanium firing pin in conjunction with the shorter mainspring to insure reliable ignition. The firing pin spring is a XXH spring versus the more commom XH spring. The XXH spring is used because of the light weight of the titanium firing pin. I replaced the firing pin with an ED Brown pin and the spring with a Wolff. I hope this info helps.

Shooter Ready?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Is there another term for "mainsprings"? I am at Wolff's website right now, and I don't see this term used, so I suspect it goes by another name as well.

http://www.gunsprings.com/

(I too am interested in replacing the ILS with a conventional, arched mainspring housing.)

[This message has been edited by GI-45 (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
184 Posts
We took the ILS out of my TRP today and replaced it with a S&A magwell. Didnt have any problems with it as far as getting it out and replacing it. I agree with everyone on this. The ILS is designed for an unloaded hammer down gun.

------------------
The only thing neccessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Thanks, DHMeieio.

Which of these mainsprings/hammer springs should I purchase for replacing my ILS?

- Reduced Power...: 17, 18, 19, 20 and 21 Lb.
- Factory Standard : 23 Lb.
- Extra Power........: 25, 26, 28, 30 and 34 Lb.

As a side note: this is my first 1911, so I suspect that "Factory Standard" should be my choice, but I could be wrong.

Also, I only plan to use factory-made, standard, 230-grain FMJ ammo, if that makes a difference.

[This message has been edited by GI-45 (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
770 Posts
Edited cuz my reading comprehension really sucked last night!!!

I kind liked the ILS on the Springfield SS that I had...

[This message has been edited by TimH70 (edited 10-13-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts