1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've been searching for a Colt 1911 shooter in a decent condition when I came across this particular pistol on an Online gun sale site. The frame is easy to date by Serial No. 9508 and WGP monogram to 1912. There are two SM markings on the right side which I did not find anything about on the internet. The slide seems to be in better condition as it came from a newer 1942 1911A1 with serial# 867480. Magazine seems to be from a 1911A1 as well... Asking price is $1,350 and I wonder why? What would be a fair price for this pistol?

I hope I a not braking any rules by posting pictures from a sale website and I'd like to thank you for your input.

Lev

·
Premium Member
15,343 Posts
I never saw that 'SM' mark before - have no idea what it may mean. Maybe the initials of the guy who did the serial number? Anybody having the frame that goes with that slide could be interested in it at that price, then selling the frame and other parts. That would be the chance of a lifetime to make a gun whole again.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Too much money for no real value. The parts are old, but always remember old does not always mean valuable. The pictures provide very good decision making information. I do not think you will regret walking away from this one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I remember a conversation about this, a long time ago. The "SM" is for Service Model. It was an ACE .22 cal. Somebody put a .45 Government Model slide on it. They were interchangeable. I remember somebody did that with a Remington-Rand slide. Wanted a fortune for it, of course.

I found the old thread! It was at THR: I highlighted the s/n in question...

"4) Colt Service Model "ACE" : Caliber .22 Long Rifle S/N SM 1 to SM 3,836 = Feb.1936 to Jan. 1943 (Between 1935 and Sept. 1945, 11,961 Colt Service Model "ACE" pistols were made and their parts were fully interchangable with the .45 caliber M1911A1.

5) Colt Service Model "ACE" : S/N SM 3846 to SM 13,803 = April 1945 to Sept. 1945 ( Between 1938 and Oct. 1946, a total of 2149 .22-.45 conversion units were made to convert .45 caliber pistols to .22 caliber. They were: S/N U1 to U2670. From 1938 to 1940, .45-.22 conversion units were made to convert Service Model "ACE" .22 caliber pistols to .45 ACP. They were: S/N U1 to U112.) - info from here
Regards,
Greg

Yes, Colt used the SM serial number prefix on Service Model .22 Ace pistols, but not on .45's. All of the Colt 1911 and 1911A1 pistols that were sold to Uncle Sam had serial numbers with no prefix of any kind."

HOWEVER, Matyoka, the SM on your pistol in question does NOT look like those on other ACEs from the same period. Nor do they have an SM on the trigger guard. In 1945 they, of course, were A1 frames. They did not have a lanyard loop and did have relief cuts behind the trigger, etc. Good mystery. I'm stumped.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I've never seen such a SM mark before. I assume are the initials of somebody. - have no idea what it may mean. Maybe the initials of the guy who owned it before?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would not pay over about $400 for this gun. Though its parts are old they are miss matched and don't have any collector value. I may make a good gun for a cheap build if you buy it right. The frame is from a full size 22 cal model so I would not know if it will last on a 45 as I don't know much about the particular guns strength of of frame in a 45 cal conversion. I would say the guy is looking for an extreem profit on a build up with a 1940s slide.
GRIZZ

·
Premium Member
15,343 Posts
Gryphon; thanks for the info! Duly noted and entered into the memory banks, hopefully to be retrieved at some future date. So, the .22 frame then would have added value if were not for the 'enhanced' serial number. Too bad - somebody with the correct .22 slide could probably use it but it's way too expensive.

·
Registered
774 Posts
If you're looking for a 1911 "shooter" why not search for a Series 70 Government Model or a Pre-Series 80 Commander. Either in good condition would be a good shooter IMO and shouldn't cost too much for what you want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts