1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent some pistols in to Colt to have some parts replaced and have some work done. These were all new pistols and I asked to have the plastic MSHs replaced with steel, etc.. I also asked them to replace the MIM sears, plunger tubes and magazine releases with barstock/toolsteel units. They called me back and said that none of those parts were MIM in my pistols.

Now, we know from Mark that these parts are MIM. I wonder why Colts service department doesn't know this (or, maybe even know what MIM is?)?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I was under the impression that the MIM parts in recent Colt 1991s are the sears, disconnectors, mag catch and mag catch lock...

Anyone know what the hammer strut is?

·
Registered
634 Posts
I was in product service when the quote was being done on the four guns, and just got off the phone with them, they were under the impression that these parts are not MIM. They indeed are, they thought when we got rid of the MIM extractor we did this with all other parts. sorry for the confusion.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
That must have been the same customer service guy I talked to about my problems! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'd bet that the guys who drive a Lexus or BMW don't know or care what their intake manifold is made out of. However, us average guys who own Colts are very demanding. We are a tough crowd to please.

Whew!

PS: What is the ASTM number for the firing pin?

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
That's an interesting question Fraser, I would like to know the ASTM spec number on several items, slide, frame, barrel, fire control parts.

Mark, I am a Structural Engineer by profession, and metalorgy is kind of a hobby. I would really like to know. You do not know how much I would like to have a 1911 made from some particular nickel alloys.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have been told by some a work that I at times push the envelope with some of the things I say. I just try and use common sense on what is appropriate. I did sign a confidentiality agreement when I started to work at Colt. There are many things that I could say on a wide array of topics but don't. I think I'll pass on this one, not out of fear but out of loyalty, hope you understand.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Completely understand. I signed one of those as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts