1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a cold and dreary morning, drizzling rain. I didn't mind though, after the students were done with their 3,000 rounds, I was going to shoot a few hundred of my own. To my dismay, after only 13 rounds, my 9mm slided Kimber suffered a catastrophic failure when the bushings "legs" sheared off. Me thinks I will send it back (the bushing) to Ed Brown and see if he has any thoughts on it. I found the spring but not the end cap and I didn't have a spare for my .45 slide, so my day was done. Anyway, first time I had seen that particular type of failure, and near as I can figure, most anyone else I've talked to as well. From now on, there are a couple of more items I will keep in my toolkit.

Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Joe - I've had bushing failures on 2 different .45 Kimbers. Both were identical failures - bottom one-third of the whole bushing broke off. Sent parts downrange! One spring end cap went through 2 cardboard targets and I never did find it. The other I found against a berm 45 yards away.

These failures were on early Kimbers (one was an Oregon gun). I had been shooting these pistols for 4-5 years, and the bushings broke within 30 days of each other. Curious that.

Kimber sent 2 new bushings and asked for the broken parts so they could see the problem. Customer service rep hinted that they had problems with bushings on early Kimbers.

Caboose

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Me thinks I will send it back (the bushing) to Ed Brown and see if he has any thoughts on it.
So, was this an Ed Brown bushing which broke, or was it a Kimber factory part?

·
Registered
59 Posts
AFMan wrote

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me thinks I will send it back (the bushing) to Ed Brown and see if he has any thoughts on it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, was this an Ed Brown bushing which broke, or was it a Kimber factory part?

Exact question I had....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts