1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This type of configuration looks like an interesting project gun.

Swap out the internals with some Harrison or Cylinder and Slide items, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, or take your pick and you might have a fun piece. Looks like it would be an ideal carry piece with those low sights and smallish beavertail.

Too bad it is imported though that is not all bad: SDS Imports 1911 A1 Tanker 45ACP 4.25" Barrel 8+1

·
Premium Member
15,367 Posts
'Swap-outs' might be cool IF the pistol is completely mil/Colt-spec. Otherwise, not fun.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,153 Posts
Not to get too far afield, and with no interest in debating relative merits, but I understand there is a Turkish 1911 with forged frame and slide, in the $400 range(!), and at that price point it's not obvious which guns are forged and which are cast, anyone have details?

Reactions: WT54

·
Registered
98 Posts
First, realize that most "drop-in" 1911 parts aren't. They may or may not (likely not) drop in and function properly. Much depends on how close to original specs both the base gun and the "drop-in" parts are. Also, by the time you buy the gun and then all the replacement parts, you could probably have afforded a better gun initially. I'm not trying to be a buzz-kill. I've done what you're suggesting because it was what I could afford at the time. I ended up with a lot of money tied up in a gun that I couldn't sell for anywhere near what I have invested in it. I'm just trying to save you some aggravation. I'm merely suggesting that you might be better off in the long run saving your lunch money until you can start with a better gun.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had my SDS/Tisas GM sent to my gunsmith for the transfer. He was really impressed with the barrel and slide maching as well as the barrel fit. I think they are a really good value. (And yes, mine works just fine-though it does shoot high.)

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've shot a Tisas 1911 and own a BR9 (Hi Power Clone)....I would compare that Tisas 1911 to a low-end RIA...And that's not bad-mouthing either...The Tisas had great fit and a decent finish...I've owned a low-end, full-sized RIA government model and it ran great!!! Similar fit and finish to the Tisas...I sold that RIA to a guy that really wanted it, and helped "finance" a new purchase and kept my exposure to the war and finance department (spousal unit) to a minimum...I miss the RIA, but like my full-size Springer a bit more, but it cost more...Go figure...
As for interchangeable parts with the Tisas weapons...The BR9 is an awesome HP clone...Tight fit and shoots/cycles flawlessly....I added a C&S wide combat trigger (this eliminates the mag disco and gives a wider paw-print for your booger hook) and spring kit from BHSS at the 2k rd mark and had no issues with compatibility...Trigger took a bit of stoning, but like T.M. stated above, not much is drop-in with a steel hammer-fired weapon...
I would jump on that deal in a minute...Go shoot the hell out of it...If it runs good, I wouldn't throw a bunch of "upgraded" parts at it until you are sure they are needed...
Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
Post #5 by T.M. Nichols. Lots of truth in that. I never saw much future in buying a pistol just to purge its components to upgrade to machined steel name quality components, .ie. investing $450 in parts in a $400 pistol. Some of that defeats the skill building goal. If you are looking at such a product and the slide, frame, and barrel really are that good, then chances are some of the smaller parts are quite useable. For a project like this buying the pistol to upgrade, I suggest shooting it. Not a box of ammo...a couple hundred rounds, get to know it. Then establish what needs to be done to make it do what you want and to do the things you like about it better. Set goals for a noticable upgrade with least amount of parts purchases. I did that with the two Rugers I bought and both are nice pistols as they are.

Mind you, some of the parameters and features you desire may be perceived rather beneficial. Example, on a GI pattern gun, I now shape the A1 grip safety so I get a higher good hold and bob the hammer a lttle to eliminate hammer bite. 200 comfortable rounds of ball in a shooting session just leaves me hungry for more shooting. I am not suggesting you mock what I do. Just use an approach which would allow to realize more of what you are seeking. Let the pistol be what it is...just better.

I have looked at those SDS pistols with the wide spur hammer in display cases. Haven’t handled one...yet. Tempted to pull the trigger on one and refine it if I can strip it first. But for similar money, I can get a known quality Springer Mil Spec Defender and have same practical end product which I might be able to make a few $$ on if I decide to part with it.

Reactions: WT54

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Depends. If you view it as an education/hobby, upgrading an economy pistol can be fun. Pretty expensive too. Money that will NEVER be recovered at sale or trade. Nobody is standing in line for my projects.

Shoot the pistol stock. See what it needs. Might just be fine. Maybe an extractor or extractor tune up and a trigger job and you are done.

As for me, I am way down the rabbit hole on upgrading economy pistols. I enjoy making purses from sow ears. The skills transfer. When the fancy 1911 pistols burp, hiccup, or sneeze, and they sometimes do- not a big deal.

I tend to view an economy pistol as a frame, slide, and barrel. You get the rest of the gun for free. And nowadays, they usually work just fine.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
First, realize that most "drop-in" 1911 parts aren't. They may or may not (likely not) drop in and function properly. Much depends on how close to original specs both the base gun and the "drop-in" parts are. Also, by the time you buy the gun and then all the replacement parts, you could probably have afforded a better gun initially. I'm not trying to be a buzz-kill. I've done what you're suggesting because it was what I could afford at the time. I ended up with a lot of money tied up in a gun that I couldn't sell for anywhere near what I have invested in it. I'm just trying to save you some aggravation. I'm merely suggesting that you might be better off in the long run saving your lunch money until you can start with a better gun.
Those are good points. I would agree. In fact to improve a trigger and action, I often will simply walk around with the mechanism and work it all day long and sort of break it in, hitting it with some Rem Oil spray every 20 or so cycles. I'll do that for a week sometimes, work an action a little bit every day and pull the trigger quite a few times and then use it at the range a lot. If the trigger and hammer pull don't sweeten up after that at least a little, or if the reset gets worse, then I would go with a drop-in kit from Cylinder and Slide or someone that makes quality internals.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Depends. If you view it as an education/hobby, upgrading an economy pistol can be fun. Pretty expensive too. Money that will NEVER be recovered at sale or trade. Nobody is standing in line for my projects.

Shoot the pistol stock. See what it needs. Might just be fine. Maybe an extractor or extractor tune up and a trigger job and you are done.

As for me, I am way down the rabbit hole on upgrading economy pistols. I enjoy making purses from sow ears. The skills transfer. When the fancy 1911 pistols burp, hiccup, or sneeze, and they sometimes do- not a big deal.

I tend to view an economy pistol as a frame, slide, and barrel. You get the rest of the gun for free. And nowadays, they usually work just fine.

Enjoy!
Interesting way to look at it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not to get too far afield, and with no interest in debating relative merits, but I understand there is a Turkish 1911 with forged frame and slide, in the $400 range(!), and at that price point it's not obvious which guns are forged and which are cast, anyone have details?
Good question.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tisas has been making good guns for a while. I think they probably don't need a swap out.
The Turkish military industrial complex is a very lucrative one for them and has been making guns from many European countries on license since WWI, to my limited knowledge.

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
Reread this tread. I meant to say earlier this is the first time I encountered the term tanker in this context

·
Registered
894 Posts
My 94 year old 4th armorded division neighbor laffed at the name said the pistiol was a pain to carry but the second best freind he had.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Tanker 1911. haha

Consider how much you want to upgrade a $400 gun, it could serve as a solid base if the frame is forged and the slide are both in excellent shape and inspec. I've traveled this road...$500 gun with >$1K parts in it...it's hard to not "upgrade".

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
Here in Maryland prices are a bit higher...but this is a maingey BLUE state. I put one on hold until next month. Seems to be a good gun for the money. Can’t wait to shoot it and get to know it, strip it and evaluate what’s inside. Then do the minimum for get a good blaster.
The last statement in the previous paragraph...it just dawned on me. It seems I’ve become more select in my goals, visions, and where I concentrate my $$$ and efforts. Finding joy in creating individual guns keeping its character instead of a formula purge and manufacture.

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
The only thing that bothers me is the Army clone is in Cerakote. I would love to see it parkerized!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts