1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
73,054 Posts
Funny how a new GB member with no feedback is always the one to push these auctions all the way into the stratosphere. For all I know he may be legit, but it always makes me raise an eyebrow.

·
Registered
908 Posts
It doesn't look like the seller knew what he had. I'm glad I didn't see that auction, because it would have been difficult to sit on my hands. That is one of the nicest type I Rr's I have seen. (And these are not often seen...)

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Worth every cent IMO. As Rob says, I would have had to have sit on my hands. If I had the money, I would have bid more.

These are 5 times as rare as a US&S. Try to find a nice one like this. If it were a US&S it would have sold for about $8K in that condition and folks would have been mildly surprised. Being surprised at this fine gun at this price is for those that believe the US&S is the big find, the poor man's Singer, etc.. These are the poor mans Singer and built on the Singer equipment. Super nice pistol and one of the last Type I RRs. Somebody got a gem.

Another bidder went to $5550, with 166 feedbacks. I would not sale one this nice for that price.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Funny how a new GB member with no feedback is always the one to push these auctions all the way into the stratosphere. For all I know he may be legit, but it always makes me raise an eyebrow.
I always think something is up when you see that...

But that said I am a zero feedback gunpoker member , haven't found anything that I just had to have , but I have bid on a number of items .

·
Administrator
73,054 Posts
It doesn't look like the seller knew what he had. I'm glad I didn't see that auction, because it would have been difficult to sit on my hands. That is one of the nicest type I Rr's I have seen. (And these are not often seen...)
Worth every cent IMO. As Rob says, I would have had to have sit on my hands. If I had the money, I would have bid more.

These are 5 times as rare as a US&S. Try to find a nice one like this. If it were a US&S it would have sold for about $8K in that condition and folks would have been mildly surprised. Being surprised at this fine gun at this price is for those that believe the US&S is the big find, the poor man's Singer, etc.. These are the poor mans Singer and built on the Singer equipment. Super nice pistol and one of the last Type I RRs. Somebody got a gem.

Another bidder went to $5550, with 166 feedbacks. I would not sale one this nice for that price.
Thinking twice about this, you guys are right. I often can't wrap my head around a Remington Rand being worth that much, but given the rarity of that variation in any condition I can see why somebody would gladly pay upwards of $7000 for a nice one. If you're trying to complete a collection you likely don't have a Type I RR and would gladly pay dearly for one. I still think the bidding was a bit unusual, however. It appears all but two guys failed to appreciate what it's really worth, and those two went at it like a pair of hungry dogs at the end. The fact that the pawn shop selling it didn't seem to understand what it was really worth was unusual as well, but definitely not unknown. The Colt I bought last week had a Buy It Now price so low I thought there had to be a catch somehow. But then I began to suspect the shop selling it didn't know how much the gun was really worth and had it way underpriced, so I quickly clicked the BIN button before anyone else did. Here the seller is lucky they didn't have a similar lowball BIN price to click on, or else they'd have lost out on a really lucrative sale. The only thing that concerns me is that whoever sold it to the pawn shop might have only gotten a few hundred for it, which would really suck.

·
Premium Member
15,357 Posts
The thing on possible 'shill' bidders is, if that were the case and the shill won the auction, the seller would have to pay all fees just as if he really had sold it, which would be considerable. If he reported his friend as a 'non-paying bidder' in order to dodge the fees, he would P.O. his bidding buddy who just might spill the beans. So, if you think beyond your nose, you'll see that the idea of shill bidders really doesn't make much sense because the seller can't take the chance that the shill might win.
I am not saying it's impossible or that it hasn't happened, but it is not the norm.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
I'm a litle surprized that...

I'm a litle surprized that there was so much heavy breathing over a very late type I Remington Rand. The first 10 thousand or so RRs used up the Colt supplied barrels and probably milled triggers, and as such, I would think that most collectors would want a pure type I RR with the "COLT .45 AUTO" marked barrel and milled trigger. It is a great looking pistol none the less. Best Karl

·
Administrator
73,054 Posts
What collectors "want" and what they can "get" are two different things sometimes. This is the first complete, unmolested Type I in exc condition I've ever even seen for sale. The only early Type I RRs I've ever seen are the ones pictured in reference books or on your CD. Everybody always talks about Singers and how rare they are, but in the past few years I've seen a lot more of those change hands than some of these other guns that seem to fall under the radar of many collectors.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I want them regardless of trigger, etc.. Everyone I have let go went the same day and usually within one minute of letting it known it was available. I want them all back.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Is the main spring housing retaining pin on the subject pistol in backwards? The dome head side of the pin is usually found on the right side of most 1911-A1's. But was there a factory correct way? Or was it random depending on the assembler?

·
Registered
939 Posts
How pissed do you think the loser is? He autobid $6349.99, the winner autobid two cents more and won.

Also, I can hear the guys at the pawn shop thinking "what the heck just happened?" "Those gunpoker fools!"

·
Administrator
73,054 Posts
I've had people step over my max bid and win the auction by a dollar or two on many occasions. That's just the way it works. Either you enter a figure that's the absolute highest you're willing to go and keep your fingers crossed, or you keep going and risk getting sucked into a bidding war.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts