1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does wilson not go w/ external extractor on their stuff, aren't they better or what?

What do y'all know about that crap?

BTW, does wilson make any alloy frame officer's model frame size guns?

·
Registered
735 Posts
No and No.

I feel that the internal extractors are better and cleaner looking but are a little harder to work on if needed than the external. All of the high quality 1911's use the Internal extractor design other than Wilson's KZ model but I don't count that one anyway.

Also, No alloy Wislon frames as of now that I know of.

CG.

·
Registered
21,983 Posts
Why? I don't know and doubt Bill Wilson would tell us.

I figured they were a sure bet to go external when they introduced the KZ45 plastic mutant with one, but have not. I have seen a picture of a single stack they made up on special order for a gunzine writer with an external because he thought it was an improvement. Maybe they would for you.

Wilson used to make an aluminum gun but no more. There isn't a source of aluminum frames for him to use, Caspian quit making them. I don't know where else he could get one. The S&W scandium-aluminum alloy would be nice but they have announced that they are no longer doing outside work. I doubt Les Baer would wholesale them to him. Would Springfield let Imbel supply him? Would Taurus - if and when they get their own guns on the market? I don't know and don't know if Wilson would consider them of good enough quality for his lineup.

·
Registered
948 Posts
You could probably buy a Springfield lightweight (or S&W scandium) and send it in as a base gun, couldn't you?

(Unless that just isn't what you want to do - just a suggestion ;))

·
Registered
997 Posts
It's my understanding that Wilson is now making their own frames . They chose to not have an alloy frame model , whether the frame came from outside or they made it . I don't think they are convinced that a strong enough material has been proven that they want to back with their complete satisfaction policy .

A very famous custom gunsmith has told me that Colt is the only aluminum frame maker who had it right . Les Baer uses another softer grade for their aluminum products, Stinger etc., and according to the smith , it's too soft.

I think Wilson's choice to use an external extractor on the KZ Model was an attempt to cut costs , but recently I heard of the possibility of an internal extractor on that model due to consumer concern . There may be no truth to it as I can find nothing on their website. Either way , they make a reliable gun or they fix it free...Tom

·
Registered
735 Posts
tpdtom said:
A very famous custom gunsmith has told me that Colt is the only aluminum frame maker who had it right . Les Baer uses another softer grade for their aluminum products, Stinger etc., and according to the smith , it's too soft.
I think Baer dropped the aluminum frames too, possibly due to problems. The new Stingers are not offered in aluminum unless you can order it that way.:scratch:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts