1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to make a sell out of state on the gun pages for sale forums? I know I would need a local dealer who could send the pistol to the buyers dealer, but I don't really know any dealers. Also, how much does this cut into the sale price? I would really rather sell locally, but you can reach so many more potential buyers on the net. Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
as easy as pie,,, and you really do not need to have a FFL send the gun,,, it just needs to go to a FFL ,, However, check with your local state laws first... I am sure some Texans will speak up here.... Hey Aleko give us your thoughts.. You set your price with or with out shipping. UPS and Fex both have some exp rules - must be overnight - you decide who pays.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought, Harley, overnight night only and that can get expensive. Someone on another forum had stated that you didn't have to ship overnight and new that was crapp. I remember when UPS first set that policy and how it caused an uproar. Thanks for the input dude.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not a problem. I do it all the time.

Just get the buyer to send you the money and a SIGNED IN INK copy of his dealers Federal Firearms License (FFL) and ship the firearm to the street address on the FFL.

It's the buyers responsibility to make sure he is complying with all of his state and local laws regulating the receipt of firearms.

The biggest problem you are likely to encounter will be shipping thru UPS if it's a handgun. If so, tell them you are sending it in for repair. I reccomend FedEx for handguns and rifles, or USPS for rifles only. Take a copy of the FFL with you just in case.

·
Registered
203 Posts
When the UPS crap hit the fan, I started using FEDEX to ship my guns. FED EX's policy is also overnight, but the particular office I use has always offered me two-day shipping (even though I tell them plainly it is a firearm) in-lieu of overnight for 1/5th the cost.

·
Registered
29 Posts
banzaijohn said:
When the UPS crap hit the fan, I started using FEDEX to ship my guns. FED EX's policy is also overnight, but the particular office I use has always offered me two-day shipping (even though I tell them plainly it is a firearm) in-lieu of overnight for 1/5th the cost.
My experience with Fedex has been the same. When I do have to use UPS, I always go with Next Day Air Saver. It saves a little... The buyer always pays the shipping, unless I have it already figured into the price, so the cost isn't that big of a deal.

·
Administrator
72,478 Posts
Be advised that some FFL's will only accept a gun sent to them from another FFL holder. It's isn't the law, just their own policy. If you encounter a buyer whose FFL won't accept the gun straight from you it may be necessary to ask the buyer to pick up the fee to ship from your own FFL dealer, unless you want to absorb the cost yourself.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
DSK is right, I had a gun sold and the buyer said his FFL wanted it sent from another FFL - It was my right/choice to say get another FFL or he has to pay the extra - The lesson/point here is to ask all these questions or at least (if your the seller) to post what you will or won't do on shipping... makes things a lot easier. Most people are willing to bend to make a deal work. I had a gun bought and the seller agreed to pay for shipping,,, Well, my FFL stated that if it came from a private party it had to be treated like a pawn shop gun and had to go through the local PD wait period - if it came from another FFL "no wait" the seller said if that was what I wanted then I was on the hook for the extra fees - I really did not nee the gun that fast so the wait was fine with me. again, moral of the story, ask questions first...

·
Registered
300 Posts
might also be a good idea to send it 'Signature Required'. not something you want left on the doorstep, or a less than ethical recipient to say "Package? What package?"

Some time ago, either in this forum or Shooters, someone posted this senario....certainly not a pleasant one. The sender didn't declare what he sent, nor did he insure it beyond the standard $100.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
beerme said:
Someone on another forum had stated that you didn't have to ship overnight...
Dear beerme,

I have heard a poster or two say that as well. The company I remember being mentioned was FedEx Ground which I believe is the old Roadway Package Express (or whatever it was called). While this is a part of FedEx it may actually be operated as a separate entity and have it's own shipping rules. Your best bet is to email/write to all of the package shippers (UPS, FedEx, FedEx Ground, Airborne, etc...) and ask what their policies are. They will also tell you how they want the thing packaged etc...

I hear a lot of people say that they just tell the company that they are shipping "machine parts", or something like that, rather than a gun. There are certain drawbacks to that. One is that should a firearm be shipped this way and be lost or stolen it might be an out for the insurance carrier to disallow the claim since company procedures were not followed. The second is the possibility that it might be a crime to misrepresent an item shipped on a common carrier. I don't know if it is but it might be and that would be another thing to check out. Stay safe, Gary

*edited to remove, "if you are looking to save the buyer some money"*

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Sorry to bring back an old one, guys, but this seemed like the best thread when I did a search.

I took a gun I have sold to a UPS Store to send it from Kansas City to California. I had a copy of the recipient's FFL and the gun was in its own box, no ammunition. The guy behind the counter asked if it was broken down as much as possible; I said no, then did it right there in the store before taping the box closed. While I was doing that, I guess he went back to talk to someone who told him that since I'm not a dealer, I can't send it from a UPS Store, that I have to go to the UPS hub to send it. Not a big deal, but they didn't know where the hub is located(!).

Came home and emailed UPS for the address but also got in response:
Shipper
- Individual

Consignee
Gun Manufacturer (for repair or adjustment only) and from a person not otherwise prohibited by Federal, State or local law to a
licensed importer, licensed manufacturer or licensed dealer for
the sole purpose of repair or customizing.
Doesn't this mean they won't take it from me at all, since it's being sent to them only as a drop point for sale to an individual? Or should I just not mention that part?

I did a search on FedEx.com for "handgun" but couldn't find anything useful there. Will call both on Monday, I suppose. USPS.com was very clear that handguns are not allowed, so I know they're out.

Thanks much for any help!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Be careful here.

As an owner of a pistol, you can only ship the pistol via UPS or FedEx to an FFL for the purpose of repairing/working on the pistol. Once complete, the pistol must ship back to the owner only.

Although not a law, both UPS and FedEx require that firearms be shipped next day (liability concerns from theft). Additionally, you must also declare all firearms being shipped.

As for out of state transfers of ownership, FFL to FFL transfers are generally the only means to legally transfer ownership. As such, the owner must take his/her pistol to an FFL and that FFL will ship out to the receiving FFL. There is a fee for the transfers.

Transfers within the same state may not require coordination through an FFL. Local laws may differ.

·
Registered
462 Posts
andrew9C1 said:
I did a search on FedEx.com for "handgun" but couldn't find anything useful there. Will call both on Monday, I suppose. USPS.com was very clear that handguns are not allowed, so I know they're out.
FedEx will allow shipment of hanguns to an FFL as allowed by BATF regulations (e.g. shipment by owner to an FFL for work or repair to the firearm).

Here's a FedEx link that describes the requirements for the shipment of firearms via overnight:
http://www.fedex.com/us/services/express/termsandconditions/us/firearms.html

This FedEx link specifically states handguns cannot ship ground:
http://www.fedex.com/us/services/ground/termsandconditions/firearmsus.html

USPS will only allow shipment of handguns from FFL to FFL or organizations as defined by USPS.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
jimbo said:
Be careful here.

As an owner of a pistol, you can only ship the pistol via UPS or FedEx to an FFL for the purpose of repairing/working on the pistol. Once complete, the pistol must ship back to the owner only.

Although not a law, both UPS and FedEx require that firearms be shipped next day (liability concerns from theft). Additionally, you must also declare all firearms being shipped.

As for out of state transfers of ownership, FFL to FFL transfers are generally the only means to legally transfer ownership. As such, the owner must take his/her pistol to an FFL and that FFL will ship out to the receiving FFL. There is a fee for the transfers.

Transfers within the same state may not require coordination through an FFL. Local laws may differ.
Not true. When you ship the gun to an FFL, that is the only legal means of tranfering ownership needed. Local laws have nothing to do with it, it is regulated by the BATF.

·
Registered
462 Posts
BillD said:
Not true. When you ship the gun to an FFL, that is the only legal means of tranfering ownership needed. Local laws have nothing to do with it, it is regulated by the BATF.
You're correct about the ATF non-licensee requirements for a out of state private to private transfers. It only requires an FFL in the purchaser's state to coordinate the sale/transfer.

However, NYS laws seem to only allow non-licensees to use common carriers to send pistols back to manfacturers/gunsmiths for repair/work only.

Here's the NYS website FAQ that discusses the situation when a NYS resident can send handguns via carrier:
http://www.troopers.state.ny.us/Firearms/FAQs/FAQindex.html

"Q - Is it lawful to ship a firearm through the mail or by common carrier?

Yes, under certain circumstances. A licensee may ship a handgun to a gunsmith or back to the manufacturer for alteration and/or repair."

It does not say that non-licensees can use common carriers to send guns to an FFL out of state for transfer, however. It almost gives the impression that all out of state transfers in NYS must go via FFL to FFL.

Can anyone clarify the NYS requirements for out of state private to private transfers?

·
Registered
462 Posts
tthiel said:
I would add that it would be a good idea to print these regs out and take them with you to the Fedex office since many fedex offices don't seem to know their own regs for shipping firearms.
I second that.

If you go into a FedEx or UPS hub and cite (or better yet, point to) their regulations and be confident about it, they generally will come around quickly.

Unfortunately, the workers don't know all of the requirements (although they should).:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts