1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Texas! Middle aged guy from the DFW area here.
Long time lurker and decided to start posting. Although I've been out of the game for several years...I am a longtime 1911 user and fan.
I bought a used Bi-tone (black slide/stainless body) Ultra Compact a couple weeks ago. I also bought an almost new Kimber Custom II the previous week.
This is my question, Ive decided with my smaller hands the compact size 1911 fits and feels/feels much better to me than the full size and i am about to drop some money into the Springfield and am weighing the smarts of doing this. The Ultra Compact has/had lots of rust and needs a refin and a general going over. the slide feels a tiny bit loose and rough when racking it. There is no comparison to the Kimber. I plan on sending it to Springfield for reliability work, Heinie straight 8 sights, and a Black T refinish. Although i bought this gun pretty low (380.00), with shipping will be around 600 to 700 to upgrade. I think i will end up with a great carry gun and dont plan to sell it..(barring an emergency) and i plan to collect a few more 1911's over the next couple months. I will have a pretty fair chunk of coin invested.
Does anyone here have experience with this model? Model number is PB9504 and it looks like a V10, minus the porting, has a stock beavertail/skeletal hammer- kinda like loaded features- minus the sights... ive been told not many were made. Deb at Springfield tells me it was made in 95. With the action smooth and a nice finish it's the perfect type of gun for me to carry.
As i mentioned, there is no comparison to the action of the Kimber- but if this gun comes out similar i will be happy. or..i could sell and look for something already with my features.. i need to mention that i lover a project and lover to mod things to my taste.(like thousands of other guys here..lol)
Anyone one here have one? and comments on the typical quality of this model? Im not worried about resale so much..i could sell both my guns and buy an already to go model.. but i dont want to let go of the full size Kimber.
I'd really like to hear from other owners of this gun. Is it a known loser? or a nice piece?
This is a really great place to learn about 1911's and im glad i found it! Also looking to meet guys/group for range buddies in the area! I would really appreciate others wiser than me to chime in!
thanks in advance,
Randy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I forged ahead and shipped it this morning to Springfield to be refinished in Black T, Hienie straight 8 carry sights and reliability work.
After doing a bunch of research on the shipping subject I noticed lots of conflicting info. My experience today was great. I went to my local UPS store. I knew I was going to tell them it was a firearm (wasn't going to break the law) but I didn't want to pay 70$ and up for overnight shipping. When I got to the counter I told the lady it was a firearm.. she just smiled and pressed on with her computer. Then she informed me it could leave today (fri) and be there on tues for 20.66$ including 500$ insurance.
I filled out the form and wrote ship to S.A. Custom, paid the nice lady and left.
I'm a happy camper and really look forward to getting this gun back...
The wait begins!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
382 Posts
Two Weeks! Wow!
I have a Mil-Spec with the infamous loose front sight (I keep super-gluing it from inside after a shooting session) that I want to replace with a dovetailed version as well as getting a trigger job.
I was concerned over the time it would be gone. After hearing your experience, I may just bite the bullet and pull the trigger on it. (I know, forgive the puns there.)

Lookin' forward to seeing your "After" pictures, Woof*!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Be sure to show us the "after" pics, Woof!

You originally asked others to comment if they had a Springfield UC. I've had one for about ten years, purchased 'nearly new' from an unhappy original owner.

My UC has been ultra reliable after a 400 round break-in. The slide-to-frame fit is quite loose (it rattles when shaken), but it's more accurate than my Colt Defender.

Be sure to replace the recoil spring every 800 rounds or so, if it's not a double spring assembly.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I've had my Ultra Compact for about 8 years. I have no complaints about it. It's an accurate shooting gun, eats whatever I feed it and is reliable.

I agree with ambidextrous1 about the recoil spring. I have to change mine every 600-800 rounds or I start getting feeding issues.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ditto on you showing us the 'after' pics.

I've had mine only a couple of years, a lightweight V10 UC built in '98.

Had some accuracy problems in the beginning which Springfield fixed happily and rapidly and I've had no problems of any kind since.

I love it.

I'm about to (I think) trade for a Para Slim Hawg and am thinking about redoing the problematic Para finish to look like the V10.

No, I'm not trading the V10!

Will

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts