1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had the typical bump in the night two nights ago. Woke us both straight up into the sitting position.

Our home is laid out in such a way that a flashlight is not very effective because the rooms are quite large and difficult to light up completely. I've cleared it before with my surefire, but on those occasions I felt very exposed as I entered these rooms. This time I elected to light up each room with the overhead lights as I entered. They're large enough that an intruder wouldn't be able to localize on me for a second or so unless he was familliar with the layout.

As I was going through this with my heart pounding (the noise was LOUD), it occurred to me that if I had even a night vision monocular I might be able to get a look in a room before entering.

Anyone here ever entertained this idea? Thoughts?

BTW, the noise turned out to be a very large vase that fell off the top of the kitchen cabinets, bounced off the counter top, then the island, then the floor. Narrow base, top heavy, and I think a sadistic mouse contributed.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have no experience with night vision which is why I wouldn't use it. What happens if someone, anyone turns the lights on?

Some here will tell not to clear your house but call the police first. I'm one of those that must clear my own house.

I'll stick to a handgun and a Surefire. I think the KISS principle applies here.

·
Registered
890 Posts
As far as turning a light on while using night vision, any good quality modern set will either auto adjust or simply turn off. You wont get "blinded" by over amplification. Two major problems with night vision are, tunnel vision-very small field of view, and zero depth perception. I would personally stay away from using night vision to clear a home, and stick to a flash light and pistol or weaponlight/pistol. Save the money for something more usefull :)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I have several night lights in my house. So I check the house in the dark
with Surefire in hand, rarely turning it on.

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
40dcoe said:
I have several night lights in my house. So I check the house in the dark
with Surefire in hand, rarely turning it on.

Joe
This makes good sense. We have some of those flat, soft green lights in the hallway and bathrooms so our daughter can go to the bathroom without turning lights on. They are cheap and provide just enough light to see OK. I might go get more and put them in other places in the house.

I got them from Lowes. They look like a flat panel with a square screen in the middle that glows a soft green when plugged in.

·
Banned
976 Posts
I have the same lights.

But, one of them them turned mouldy when used in the bathroom due to the humidity.

Otherwise, they're great in other rooms.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
If the night vision doesn't cut it or you find it's a bit expensive, you could just pick up a few flashbangs. They might make a hell of a mess though and wake the neighbors.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
1st choice is to call LEO and hold if possible.......but:

ditto the night lite thing....all over the house for us. Also a very fiesty and protective very four legged warning system (with serious teeth attached) that would pin point any intruder within a matter of seconds.

Don't let her fool ya. She is simply gearing gearing up to eat something alive.

Also.....powerful Surefire or Streamlight (if needed) is ready and at hand.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Ditto, ditto, ditto on the night lights.

My whole house, (other than my own bedroom) is seriously lit up by a number of green nite lights, . . . several white 7 watt jobbies, . . . etc.

The lights were planned and placed in such a manner that anyone not familiar with the layout, . . . is illuminated, . . . or leaves a shadow that I can see.

I still take the flashlight with me when I go bump chasing, . . . but I never turn it on, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
kevins_garage said:
If the night vision doesn't cut it or you find it's a bit expensive, you could just pick up a few flashbangs. They might make a hell of a mess though and wake the neighbors.

I prefer frag gernads myself for room clearing. It gives me a lot of home projects to do.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
supertac45 said:
I prefer frag gernads myself for room clearing. It gives me a lot of home projects to do.
The more I ponder this, the more likely I think I'd like to move in with this Hmong family:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=4017252

Their little bump in the night was a SWAT team and they apparently did a pretty good job fending them off when they incorrectly busted into their home. (I'm not sure what happened to the thread on that story, but it appears to have been nuked.)

·
Registered
745 Posts
I think using night vision would be a bad idea. As mentioned I would be concerned about them flaring out from someone turning on an overhead light, car headlight riding by, BG's own flashlight, etc. I would think they would have to limit peripheral vision too. There is the expense of a good set, the training in using them. And the time it takes to put them on in an emergency. You should have an advantage with your knowledge of your homes layout. I would use a Surefire or other similar light to search, IF YOU HAVE TO. Firefly the light to briefly illuminate any potential threat to distinguish friend or foe, as you probably wont need it to navigate since you probably know the layout pretty well. Unless your wife is always redecorating and rearranging furniture like mine! :D Remember flash and MOVE. Do not remain where you just illuminated from! All this is based on the fact that you HAVE to search. I have cleared building's in the line of duty, with several officers and back-up on the way. And it is not easy. If you do not have to search it is much easier to defend then assault. Wait for them to come to you. In the mean time call the cavalry!

Just MHO.

-Hershey

·
Registered
793 Posts
Imho

I think if you are looking for a reason to justify NV - sure go for it.

I think if you are looking for a practical way to solve a bump in the night issue - no this isn't the way to go.

For most all of us if you turn the lights out in your house and sit there for 15 - 20 minutes to allow your eye to adjust you can see well enough to dectect movement or better. Advantage to the intruder.

In the dark an intruder can easily hide behind a piece of furniture or duck into room / closet to wait for you to come to them. Advantage to the intruder.

Calling the police and barracading is the smart play. For one reason or another this isn't always possible (you need to retrieve the kids / the response time is to long / other).

Reducing the advantage of darkness and concealment (there is little if any true cover inside a house) is a good idea. Flashlights are great. Better - a master switch in your bedroom that will turn on all the lights both inside and out. The installation of additional lighting so as not to have dead spots. The arrangement of furniture and mirrors to allow for specific vantage points to allow you to see behind furniture / into potential hiding spots and around corners. Alarms and dogs should also be considered.

NV has its own separte issues and will require on going training with the units - a potential issue for many. Not to mention periods of down time for any maint. issues or battery failure.

In short, for the cost of really good NV you could likely have the electrical work done and pick up some nice mirrors.

But - who doesn't want some high quality NV? If you get it - post pix.

Good luck

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
HP12C said:
Calling the police and barracading is the smart play.

If there's an intruder in your house, calling police and barracading is
a reasonable response. But the trick is to know that the noise is
being made by an intruder. How do you do that ? I do it by checking
my house. So far, I haven't found one (knocking on wood).

Joe

·
Banned
8,526 Posts
I have motion detectors that activate shotgun chambering sounds through the bose system, should they proceed to the trip wires...

and that's just the front porch....

·
Registered
734 Posts
. Also a very fiesty and protective very four legged warning system (with serious teeth attached) that would pin point any intruder within a matter of seconds.

Don't let her fool ya. She is simply gearing gearing up to eat something alive.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:
WOW! Mitrod she sure looks vicious! I wouldn't mess with her! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I've used NV quite a bit. I use it only if: it is PITCH black. If I can't see my hand in front of my face then I'd use it. Or I'd use it if I'm stationary.
NV ruins your night sight too, so once you turn it on you have to leave it on or let your eyes adjust.
Depth perception is zero as already stated.

I MUCH prefer to just use ambient light. I have pretty good night sight and I've gone on plenty of movements in the dark through the treeline and I rarely turned on the NV.

For in my own house I like a weapon mounted light. I use a X200, but I can see well enough in the dark that I really would only use it to get pos ID.

I always get a laugh when people say "don't investigate, call 911!"
So do you really call 911 whenever you hear a bump in the night? The police would stop responding! Nothing wrong with investigating a weird sound. Plus I'm not going to sit in my bed while there may or may not be a BG in the house and my kids are in the other room...
On the other hand if I came home to find a broken window, open door etc I'd call the cops first.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Ditto on the "four legged warning system."

mitrod3...I would sure hate to get my Achilles tendon mangled by that vicious guard dog of yours!! :eek:...:D

A good watch dog is always a good line of defence if a would-be BG decides to make an appearance. LOUD BARKING is always something that we would HOPE a BG would want to steer clear of.

If they wake up the bulldog...the .45 isn't far behind.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Well placed night lights make sense if placed back away from the location you sleep. These light up there are the perp would come from.
Get a more powerful flashlight wit the intention of using it primarily to light up and blind the opponent after you locate him.
Clear the house slowely, allowing time for more noise. You have the advantage if you are alive and have not made contact with the perp.
Make sure someone can call 911 and make sure you indicate there are guns involved. They will dispatch much faster.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Personally I would not get night vision. I would opt for one of those humongus Surefire flashlights or a handheld spotlight like you would have in your car or truck, under $25.00, can be house charged, will run for about a hour and 1.5 or 2 million candle power and light that BG up to the extent you burn his eyebrows off.

Roy

1 - 20 of 34 Posts