1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called up my local Sheriff's office today and asked them what their fee is for a handgun purchase permit (I moved to a different county, even though Iowa is state-wide "shall issue" now, the Sheriffs still tinker with what they can). They are valid for a year and are required to purchase a handgun (unlimited amount). I was told that it is a $10 fee, payable only after the permit was ready to be picked up. But I was also told that it is a mandatory 10-day wait to pick it up from the Sheriff's office.

Iowa has no such "mandatory" wait like this on the books, in fact there is wording in the laws to discourage against it. Now for $10 and a 10-day wait, I'm not going to go to war with my local LEO agency over it... but I have to admit it grinds my gears a bit. The other county I lived in pulled some boners like this back in 2008 after Obummer got elected. It took over 5 weeks to get a permit, and when I received it, they back-dated it to my application date (so after $11 and 5 weeks later, I got a permit that was only good for 10 months and 3 weeks).

Would you just pay the $10 and wait the ten days and carry on? Or would you raise voice to higher officials to persuade officials to walk a tighter line in accordance with the law?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I believe we have an obligation to require all of our officials obey the law, letter and sprit, just as they believe all of the citizens should obey the law. In fact, the equal protection clause of the Constitution requires it.

Rusty Bolts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I called up my local Sheriff's office today and asked them what their fee is for a handgun purchase permit (I moved to a different county, even though Iowa is state-wide "shall issue" now, the Sheriffs still tinker with what they can). They are valid for a year and are required to purchase a handgun (unlimited amount). I was told that it is a $10 fee, payable only after the permit was ready to be picked up. But I was also told that it is a mandatory 10-day wait to pick it up from the Sheriff's office.

Iowa has no such "mandatory" wait like this on the books, in fact there is wording in the laws to discourage against it. Now for $10 and a 10-day wait, I'm not going to go to war with my local LEO agency over it... but I have to admit it grinds my gears a bit. The other county I lived in pulled some boners like this back in 2008 after Obummer got elected. It took over 5 weeks to get a permit, and when I received it, they back-dated it to my application date (so after $11 and 5 weeks later, I got a permit that was only good for 10 months and 3 weeks).

Would you just pay the $10 and wait the ten days and carry on? Or would you raise voice to higher officials to persuade officials to walk a tighter line in accordance with the law?
Lets put it this way, if you say nothing...nothing gets done.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
I've never had that problem when I lived in Iowa. Only thing I can think of if it's a bigger county like Black Hawk, Linn, or Polk maybe they're just backed logged. A friend of mine lives in Cedar Rapids and he told me it took the sheriff's office there almost three weeks to get him his carry permit they were that far behind. I would just ask them straight up why the ten days. Go Hawks!!!

·
Registered
24,388 Posts
If it was me.

I would be all over those idiots for breaking the law. We had a county clerk here in VA that was found to be doing that recently. She is not breaking the law anymore. And she will likely be out of a job when she comes up for reelection next year. We have a very effective grass roots organization here in VA. We spend a great deal of time and effort in going after these shockheads.

It sounds like you need a group like us in Iowa. Please feel free to visit our web site. We are the Virginia Citizens Defense league.

There is a great quotation floating around out there that goes something like this. "The only thing necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing."

If you are not part of the solution. Then you most assuredly are part of the problem. Think about it.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never had that problem when I lived in Iowa. Only thing I can think of if it's a bigger county like Black Hawk, Linn, or Polk maybe they're just backed logged. A friend of mine lives in Cedar Rapids and he told me it took the sheriff's office there almost three weeks to get him his carry permit they were that far behind. I would just ask them straight up why the ten days. Go Hawks!!!
Indeed, the incident back in 2008 was in Polk. I understood the delay at the time (Obama had just got elected), but it was the $11 fee, and especially the 5-week backdating that irked me. This time around is Marshall County. Not exactly a huge place.

????

Did a few IL politicians sneak into Iowa? :scratch:
They try all the time. With the exception of Ames, most of them stay east of I-35.

I would be all over those idiots for breaking the law. We had a county clerk here in VA that was found to be doing that recently. She is not breaking the law anymore. And she will likely be out of a job when she comes up for reelection next year. We have a very effective grass roots organization here in VA. We spend a great deal of time and effort in going after these shockheads.

It sounds like you need a group like us in Iowa. Please feel free to visit our web site. We are the Virginia Citizens Defense league.

There is a great quotation floating around out there that goes something like this. "The only thing necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing."

If you are not part of the solution. Then you most assuredly are part of the problem. Think about it.
I'll check that out. I'll wait until I get the permit in my hand before I get too fired up. Unless of course it really does take 10+ days, then I will shift gears accordingly.

·
Banned
2,589 Posts
Just politely ask them to show you where the Law prescribes this 10 day waiting period. Show me the text of said law please. Go in armed, pun intended, with your own printed copy of current State Gun CCW Permit regulations and ask them to show you where you obviously missed this 10 day period thing.

As others have said, if you say noting and do noting, they get away with it. In time, if they get away with this long enough, next year it will be a 30 day waiting period, then 3 months, etc..

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I'm feeling a bit dense

Do I understand that an individual in Iowa has to have a "license/permit to purchase"? I was given the impression that this permit the OP mentioned was just for purchasing not a CHL. If that's correct then, Iowa ***? If not, then like Rossanne Rosannadanna....."never mind".

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do I understand that an individual in Iowa has to have a "license/permit to purchase"? I was given the impression that this permit the OP mentioned was just for purchasing not a CHL. If that's correct then, Iowa ***? If not, then like Rossanne Rosannadanna....."never mind".
Correct, it is a permit to purchase, not a carry permit (although I will renew my carry permit after I get a copy of my DD214). Long guns in Iowa, no permit needed. No registration. Just need a permit to purchase handguns (lasts for one year, unlimited purchases), or a CC permit does the same job (lasts for 5 years). The question involves the law and the "waiting period" that the county has imposed outside of state law.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I filled out my paperwork today, same as a 4473 in context, but condensed into one simple page. The first clerk who handed me the form looked annoyed that she had to wait 30 seconds for me to complete the form, so I had to wait for another clerk to show up (I was the only one in the room). Regardless, I was courteous and had a smile on my face. I was then told that I would have to come back [specifically] on January 13 to pick up my permit. This is obviously longer than the already-longer-than-expected 10-day wait that I was previously told.

I think I'll be writing some letters this weekend, starting with Senator Chuck Grassley (R) and working down from there. I'm not in a big rush for my next purchase (although I would like to make one in a timely manner on a few pieces that I have had my eye on while price/demand has somewhat rebounded, before the next "mass shooting" occurs and the libs scare the bejesus out of the panic-buyers again). It's the principal of the unnecessary "scheduled" waiting period that has torqued my political impatience a bit.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Iowa needs to get this fixed.

Correct, it is a permit to purchase, not a carry permit (although I will renew my carry permit after I get a copy of my DD214). Long guns in Iowa, no permit needed. No registration. Just need a permit to purchase handguns (lasts for one year, unlimited purchases), or a CC permit does the same job (lasts for 5 years). The question involves the law and the "waiting period" that the county has imposed outside of state law.
I guess Hoosiers live a sheltered life. I thought only the "Big Brother" states had the "pre-qualification" process.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Can you say "federal civil rights lawsuit?" I knew that you could.

When the good sheriff finds himself running around to lawyers' offices making depositions, sitting around federal courthouses for days on end waiting to be called on, with his house & bank accounts & pension fund targeted for attachment to pay punitive & exemplary damages, maybe he'll start to re-think setting arbitrary guidelines on his performance of statutory public duties of his office.

When enough citizens file enough federal lawsuits against enough local, county, and state officials, all seeking punitive and exemplary damages, then MAYBE some of those officials will suggest to the state legislature that these silly statutes be repealed.

I can't believe that there aren't at least a few dozen Iowa citizens willing to take the lead and file suit, and it's difficult to believe that there aren't a few thousand more each willing to throw a hundred-dollar bill into the legal fund. There is no doubt in my mind that there are at least a few hot-rod young lawyers willing to screw every politician in sight to the wall and pester the devil out of them for a few years.

Anyone who has ever been the subject of a multi-million dollar lawsuit can tell you what life can be like for a few years, having your schedule dictated to you by judges and lawyers, unable to finance a mortgage or car loan because your credit report shows the pending civil claims, etc.

Slap 'em silly with writs and subpoenas, have them dancing to your tune every waking minute for a couple of years, don't let them think for a minute that you will settle for anything less than their last penny and drop of blood. Then MAYBE things will change a little bit for the better.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS.

It's a hassle, no one else wants to help, it's expensive, but just like your muscles, if you don't use them, they turn to fat.

And when you don't have muscles you don't date, you feel like crap, and everyone pushes you around.

In WV we have the Citizens Defense League (modelled after the Virginia Citizens Defense League) and we are HUGE and growing by leaps and bounds. We have great debates/speeches/interviews on youtube. We make the local and national news. We have a facebook page. It stays busy. We sue cities and sherifs that disobey the law.

It's tough to be free but it's worth it.

Don't take this lying down.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Did they actually say "mandatory 10 day wait" or was it a 10 day wait with the excuse / reason being a clerical thing. I know you stated the former, just wanting to be sure. If indeed the former, I would challenge it. Maybe not by way of hiring a lawyer because I personally don't have the money to burn, but I would challenge it best I could so that my voice was at least heard.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
This should probably be brought up in public at a County Supervisors meeting, or whatever body your area uses that supervises the Sheriff.

As for a "permit to purchase." Last I heard the Constitution still says, "Shall Not Be Infringed." The day I have to ask someone for permission to buy or own a gun it the day I either move or become a felon. I just don't understand why law abiding people in these restrictive states tolerate this stuff and don't clamor en-mass for redress.

We have to fight these illegal restrictions.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I think the first thing you'd need to to is get 100% clarification if its a legal thing or a paperwork/processing thing. Then depending on the answer go from there

·
Registered
777 Posts
Yes, in Iowa you have to have a permit to purchase a handgun if
you are not a CCH.There is a waiting period for the permit to purchase.
It has always been that way. On the other hand it only took 3 days
to get my CCH permit after giving them the proper paperwork.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Fascinating

Yes, in Iowa you have to have a permit to purchase a handgun if
you are not a CCH.There is a waiting period for the permit to purchase.
It has always been that way. On the other hand it only took 3 days
to get my CCH permit after giving them the proper paperwork.
Are the Iowa CCH lifetime like IN?

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did they actually say "mandatory 10 day wait" or was it a 10 day wait with the excuse / reason being a clerical thing. I know you stated the former, just wanting to be sure. If indeed the former, I would challenge it. Maybe not by way of hiring a lawyer because I personally don't have the money to burn, but I would challenge it best I could so that my voice was at least heard.
They actually said "10 day waiting period," although by law there is no such thing. The Iowa law itself is somewhat fuzzy: It states that permits are valid within 3 days of issue, but leaves a provision in there for Sheriffs to complete the clerical process within 30 days of application. Now, if the "wait" was solely for clerical reasons, that would be one thing, but staring at a calendar and specifically telling someone to come back on a specific day because there is a minimum "10-day waiting period" (which ended up being even longer than that when I showed up in person) is the issue I have with it.

Are the Iowa CCH lifetime like IN?
$50 for 5 years. I'm calling them back up tomorrow and just going to ask them (since I'm waiting anyway) to scrap my purchase permit and just redo my application for my CC permit. I have my original Honorable Discharge certificate at home, so it should go pretty smooth I would hope (in Iowa a DD214 or certificate showing HD is a green-light to get a CC permit without having to take extra classes or training).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts