1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm broke again.

Here's what I did. I wanted to get into IPSC shooting (currently shooting IDPA), so I just ordered an STI Edge in .40 and three hi-caps from Chuck at Shooters connection. Should be picking the gun and the mags this weekend. My questions to the esteemed forum are listed below:

1. What ammo (manufactured) is good for practice and matches until I can save up some brass for reloading? Try to stick to suggestions that eric at Ammoman might have in stock if possible.

2. What are your favorite loads for .40 IPSC to make major? Should I just buy new brass and reload or try #1 above?

3. Holster recommendations for the Edge: What do you use? How do you like it?

4. Anything negative about this gun or things to add to enhance/ things to avoid?

Any and all responses appreciated,

Bob

------------------
NRA, Life Member
GOA
IDPA

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The Edge is a great pistol as it comes right out of the box. You might need to have the trigger tuned up to suit you. Magazines can be a problem. Some of the STI mags are out of spec. With decent base plates, springs and followers, you should be able to get 18 in at a minimum. If you can't, then something is probably wrong. I finally said to hell with it and sent four mags to Gramm's Engineering. Bevin has some mandrels that he uses to form the magazines, and with his new 4mm plate, the right springs and followers, you can load 20. Of course, you end up with over $150.00 invested in the magazine, but all the worries are eliminated.

I can't speak to the issue of factory ammo. For reloads, VV N320 under a 180 is very common. I shoot a 180 with VV N340, but 320 is softer if you don't mind flirting with the pressures. A lot of guys who like a slower impulse to the pistol are using the 200 or even 220 bullet. Montana Gold and Zero are the two most common bullets you will find at major matches. Some of the better known shooters are using AA2 powder and the Vectan A-1 is coming on.

As for holsters, Safariland is pretty common. I use the Bianchi hemisphere, but I don't trust the retention ability so I bag the pistol between stages. I have played around with the Ghost holster and I'll probably buy one.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
OKC,

Don't waste your money on new brass. There's plenty of used stuff around that will work fine. One thing I do suggest is that you buy an EGW (http://www.egw-guns.com) undersized sizing die. That's it's .001" or .002" smaller in diameter isn't as important as that fact that it sizes futher down the case.

I'm using a Safariland 012 but you really need an Arredondo muzzle tensioner to make it secure. I just got a Universal Shooting Academy Pro holster for my single stack. I like it but I haven't used it enough to consider relacing my Safariland. Best bet is a Limcat Stealth holster but they're expensive. Chuck sells both of them and the Ghost Holster. Only thing I don't like about that is you have to drill a hole in the trigger guard.

I don't have any good loads for you. I just finished using up some 180PF stuff I had laying around. I'm going to try some 165 gr. bullets with Clays, Alliant American Select, and IMR SR7625. Don't know what I'll end up with. Try to load about 1.200" OAL though. That will feed better than standard length .40 which is something like 1.135".

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use a CR-SPEED 2000 holster with a Safariland belt and 773 mag pouches.
I've found the 200 grain bullets seem to have less muzzle rise than the 180 grainers.

My Load...

Star 200 FMJTC
1.200 OAL.
5.0grns. Hodgdon HP-38
Federal primer
assorted brass
172 Power Factor (in my gun)

You can try faster powders but use caution.

PARANATOR...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just ordered a Safariland 012 to replace my 010, nothing wrong with Safariland holsters, but then also nothing wrong with USA, Ghost, or CR Speed. I'd personally stay away from Limcat, there've been several reports I've heard of the muzzle snagging on something and dragging the gun out of the holster, sometimes resulting in a match DQ(loaded gun). Don't have much experince with the STIs, so I can't really comment there. As for loads, I use Accurate #2, which is a bit unusual. However I find 5.6grs under a 180gr WCB loaded to 1.180 with a Win small rifle primer works great.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks gentleman for the excellent responses. Sounds like I need to load the rounds a little longer to avoid pressure and feeding problems. How does the HP-38 meter in a Dillon? It's supposed to be real similar to 231 but am I correct in assuming it is spherical? I'm just at the verge of making a decision to buy a press and until this purchase was going for an XL 650. Now, if I load both .40 and .45, I'm thinking about getting two SDB to eliminate the hassle of changing over a 650 from .40 to .45. Any thoughts on this? Thanks for the tip on the EGW die.

Bob

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If you buy a couple of tool heads you only need to swap out the shell holder parts and the priming system. I swap back and forth between 40 and 45 and it only takes a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Originally posted by OKC .45 ACP:
I'm thinking about getting two SDB to eliminate the hassle of changing over a 650 from .40 to .45.....Thanks for the tip on the EGW die.
You can't use the EGW die with the SDB. The SDB uses proprietary dies which can be a limitation for non-general purpose reloading such as competition loading. That said, many people use is successfully but it is a consideration.

I have a 550 and it's probably the easiest of all Dillons for caliber changes and in that regard, I wouldn't be without it, but I'd dearly love to have a 1050 for cranking out large quantities of ammo for IPSC.

I'd weigh your decision heavily on how often you change calibers but if you start competing actively which can mean 10 to 20,000 rounds a year or more, you'd be better off with a 650.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Go with the 650. I just got mine last week. Man what a difference. I was using the 550 for the last 10 years. Now I can't decide if I should keep it or sell it a get another 650. It is one sweet machine. You gotta love the electric case feed. For a load try 4.2-4.5 grains of titegroup. Accurate, burns extremely clean and makes the PF.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Ankeny. Is it really just a couple of minutes to change out the priming system, the casefeeder, and the shellplate? I agree that the toolheads are nice on the XL 650, but it seems that there is a lot to change on this press for caliber conversions. I wasn't going to sweat it as I planned originally only to load .45 ACP, but now with this .40, I wonder if two SDB's wouldn't be a good way to go. Realistically, how long does it take you to change calibers on your 650? Enquiring minds want to know!

Good point about the SDB and the EGW die. Those two won't work together. Guess I'll have to get two 650's. ARRRRGGHH. Just kidding

[This message has been edited by OKC .45 ACP (edited 03-22-2001).]

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hey OKC .45 ACP, I too live in OKC. Try Outdoor America for some .40 ammo. They carry Sellier and Bellot with 180 gr. tmj that goes about 950 fps. The brass is good and suitable for reloading. A box of 50 rds. is about $8.75 if memory serves. It's pretty good stuff as far as I can tell. I've shot a lot of it here lately.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey thanks, hhsmiley. I like the S&B too. Outdoor America is also selling the Federal American Eagle for about the same price as S&B. It's good as well.

Take care, hope to see you at a match sometime,

Bob

·
Registered
73 Posts
Try the Winchester Win-Clean 180 gr. I think the number on the box is WC402. I get them for around $100 a case and the brass looks like it was never fired. They use a brass enclosed base bullet and a special primer on them that makes the fire clean.

Save the brass and you have almost clean brass to reload.

BTW, they make major also. The WC402 has a vol. of 990 fps and the WC401, 165 gr is 1130 fps.

Winchester web page for them:
http://www.winchester.com/ammunition/store/cfhlist.eye?cartlist=NDAgU21pdGggJiBXZXNzb24%3D&uselist=none&brandlist=none&image=on&summary=on&velocity=on&energy=on&traj=on

L-Ray

1 - 13 of 13 Posts