1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently shoot IDPA, but looking at shooting some IPSC as well. As I pretty much shoot stock in IDPA, the idea of shooting Open in IPSC appeals to me.

I keep eyeing a Nowlin built pisyol based on an STI hi-cap frame with their 7X comp in either .38 Super or 9x23. Any comments on this set up, or suggestions for an alternative?

I'm ideally looking for something fast with as little muzzle flip as possible, and reliable.

Many thanks for any input.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Check out the new SV IMM open gun. I shot one at Nationals sweeeeet! It is 38 oz. handles like a limited and is fast and flat!

·
Super Moderator
7,788 Posts
Wow. You have got to be the *FIRST* IDPA shooter on this list who has come right out and said the idea of IPSC Open Class sounds cool and you want to spend some serious $$$ on it. Many kudos to you. While most just realize its just a game, a few here will most likely come uncorked.

Nowlin builds a good gun. STI and SV factory guns are good also. Brazos is here on the forum and is the STI/SV forum moderator. EGW knows his way around an IPSC gun too. There are lots of IPSC type guns (Limited and Open) for sale on the USPSA web site or at your local club. Where are you? I can hook you up with someone who could point you in the right direction locally.

I don’t see the need for a 9x23 in IPSC with the new power factor. 38 Supercomp or 38 TJ will work just fine, and their not tapered, which can lead to problems in 170mm mags. The TJ case is just as thick as the 9x23 inside.

As I am just getting back into the Open class game, more out there can help more than I ever could. Ask around, and wait to buy. The equipment race has leveled for now. Its been pretty flat for the past two or so years with the trend being lighter guns with the lower power factor.

Good luck to you. Remember, it’s a game. Speed first, accuracy will come.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes, go with a 38 super, Supercomp or TJ. The 9x23 has minor feeding/grubby-running problems that most of us prefer to avoid.

The equipment race in Open has slowed considerably, as all the technological details have been hammered out for now.

Of the guys in the Super squad at the Nationals, many were shooting reliable old guns, rather than shiny new high-tech blasters fresh from the gunsmith. You can now buy an Open gun ready to go that is just like what the big dogs shoot, no repeated trips to the gunsmith for tuning and parts adjustment.

Mags will be the immediate concern, getting 170mm's and getting them tuned for reliable feeding.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Originally posted by Tom Freeman:
Good luck to you. Remember, it’s a game. Speed first, accuracy will come.
[/B]
Its the first time I've heard anyone say that. I've been doing the opposite. Now I know why I suck so bad at IPSC.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
ditto on what tom & patrick said, go and check out your local IPSC club, and shoot a couple of matches, with your IDPA gear. I'm sure they'll go out their way to bring you over to the dark side. while your there, check if any one is selling any of their old raceguns. I am shooting a 6 year old racegun, and with the new lower power factor, I feel that the old short comps are just as compative as the new long ones.

·
Super Moderator
739 Posts
There is still an equipment race but it is a lot of subtle changes instead of something that is earth shattering like red dot sights were. Just in the last two years I have redesigned comps several times, gone from heavy bull barrels back to cone comps, shortened the slide substantially, drilled holes in the barrels (several sizes and combinations), modified the comp to work better with the holes drilled in the barrel. What I am shooting now is significantly better than what I was shooting 2-3 years ago. What I am shooting now is moderately better than what I shot a year ago. What I will be shooting next year will be a little better than what I am shooting now. Don't kid yourself if you go to any of the top IPSC gunsmiths (and there aren't many left) you will find their most current offerings have changed to keep up with changes in the sport. The sport has changed in the last couple of years moving more towards speed and this makes a lighter fster gun more important. I would not look to the top shooters to decide what is best for you -- most of them shoot whatever they can get for free or whoever will pay them the most money. Look at the up and comers who are buying the best equipment they can get to give them any advantage so that they can catch up.

------------------
Bob Londrigan
Brazos Custom Gunworks
254-622-2245
http://www.brazoscustom.com

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yesss PhilD, DO come over to the dark ssside. Ignore the man in the red suit with the pointy ears and pitchfork, he's usually in the stat shack and you'll hardly know he's around. (evil maniacal laugh)

Seriously, (suddenly looking like a clean-cut responsible citizen that could be a dentist, bank president, or auto mechanic) if you're looking for fun with guns, IPSC Open class is near the top of the heap. (machine guns specifically excluded)

IPSC Open class is the Formula 1 of shooting sports. I'd try to explain it , but I don't think it's possible unless you've had a similar experience.

Before you buy anything (unless you've got enough money not to care) locate a local club and start shooting what you've already got. Accept your Rookie status and learn the game. Make some friends and before you know it you may find yourself shooting some stages with a borrowed Open gun.

If you're actually suseptable to the disease, you'll know what to do from there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
:rock:
PhilD said:
I currently shoot IDPA, but looking at shooting some IPSC as well. As I pretty much shoot stock in IDPA, the idea of shooting Open in IPSC appeals to me.

I keep eyeing a Nowlin built pisyol based on an STI hi-cap frame with their 7X comp in either .38 Super or 9x23. Any comments on this set up, or suggestions for an alternative?

I'm ideally looking for something fast with as little muzzle flip as possible, and reliable.

Many thanks for any input.
38 super comp 9x23 has a tapered case that can cause magazine failure 38 super comp dosnt have a rim like regular 38 super :rock: ;)

·
Registered
276 Posts
first, visit www.texassouthsection.com and check out the club in your area. gulf coast shooters...shoot in corpus and those guys can show you some nice guns. check out the uspsa website in the classified section and see what you can grab. i think bob's advice to look at what the new shooters are using is by far the best. why not look into 9major? makes your cost over the years nice and low compared to buying 38 super brass. there are a good deal of tx gunsmiths that make winning guns in the right shooters hands. i would stay local in tx to buy a gun from a gunsmith so you can readily get in contact with them. here s a list off the top of my head:

eddie jimenea(houston)
bob londrigan aka brazos gunworks
benny hill aka triangle shooting
dave dawson aka dawson precision

these are probably the big 4 in the texas south area. p m me if you need some help, more than willing.

·
Super Moderator
7,788 Posts
Had not seen this thread for 3 years...

As an update, I had SV IMM Open gun that Recon talks about in the first reply. Light, fast, but really loud. I mean really loud. And the recoil was a touch too violent for me. There was no way I could even begin to track the dot.

Went back to a 5 inch normal weight open gun. The shorties just didnt work out for me.

Next project might be a 9x19 major gun or a 9x19 limited gun for the Handgunner.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
WOW..a thread on open guns...cool

the latest rage is short guns..short slides..barrel holes and a three to five chamber comp..

9mm major or the old standby 38 super...

I have tried a couple of short guns with barrel holes..and they are loud..reminded me of shooting hybricomps..double muffs and after a day of shooting..felt pretty tired from the concussion and the noise..but some guys like that..

I keep getting drawn to the short guns..maybe I will find one I like..

for now..I am shooting a short slide ( about 1/2 inch ) six chamber gun in 9x23...no feed issues at all..but now with a 165 PF..not really necessary and worth the expense.

good shops to go with

EGW
Brazos
Dawson
Bedell
JL Hardy
STI
SV
and I am sure others..

main thing..get a gun that is reliable, 100 percent, good mags, and an accurate load..then just shoot and shoot...

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Hey Tom,
I Agree they make my teeth hurt! :biglaugh: Long time no see. Tell Gene he needs to make more $ so he can Shoot!
Ivan
Armscor

·
Registered
427 Posts
My 9 x 23 Open Gun, Built by EGW in 1996 has NEVER in 58,000 rounds had a failure to feed from its double stack STI mags. The rimless and tapered case is the best choice for reliability. That said, 9 x 23 brass is scarce and expensive, Starlines 9 Supercomp case is not as strong as the original Winchester or CP Bullet case. If I built a new race gun, I'd chamber in 38 Super but when I shot out my orginal barrel as few thousand rounds ago, I put in another 9 x 23 considering my brass supply, reloading dies, and the fact that my wife also shoots a 9 x 23 Steel gun, also built by EGW, that is just about fault free. Who came up with the idea that 9 x 23 has magazine feed problems?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts