Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gamer buddies convinced me that I would do better in IPSC competition if I didn't use a behind-the-hip holster, and shoot 190pf loads. Although neither contributed to my poor showing at Area 1, I did think that cutting a second ot two off each stage would help, even if I wasn't doing my best shooting. I want a holster that has some adjustment, is secure (we had a quite a few DQ's for guns falling "off" of holsters), and surrounds at least part of the gun. The old Safariland 007 is kind of what I'm thinking of. I'd prefer leather covering if not construction (some habits die hard). Does Ernie Hill make something like what I'm looking for?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Brownells might stil have some basketweave Safariland 010s left. Otherwise it might not be easy to find a leather holster. I personally use a 012, and love it. Problem is it is easy to snag on something, and it lacks a lock. Not much of a DQ problem(hand SHOULD be on the gun the moment the buzzer goes off) but it still sucks when you gun falls in the dirt. It's happened to me twice. Frank Garcia's USA holster and CR Speed are good holsters with a lock, as is the Limcat(but make sure it's locked after shooting).

·
Super Moderator
7,941 Posts
I am using a ghost holster for open and limited and I love it. Locked, you can drag me around the range by the gun and it won’t come out. Brownells has them now.

The Limcat is good, but pricey.

Safarilands retention system sucks.

Hogue magnet holsters aren’t even a player. I saw two dropped guns at Area 1 from those damn things. Many more locally over the past two years. Bad holster, very bad.

OR, you knew it was coming, try a Ky-Tac holster. Not as cool looking as a Ghost or Limcat, but almost as fast. And you can use them for carry or IDPA. Joe at SKD-TAC has them. I have them for all my IDPA guns and my STI wide long.

Good luck to you.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

p.s. I was the clipboard puke for you on the transporter room stage this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
22,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Transporter room? Great; you saw me at my worst. After emptying my gun at four plates, and seeing them all still standing (actually, they looked like they were doubled-over, laughing . . .) I almost quit the stage. Great fun, regardless.

·
Banned
725 Posts
RickB, If that was you in 22nd in the L10 division, my word man, look at who you were shooting against. Look at where second came in points/ percentage.

------------------
"Gun Control is Only to Protect Those in Power."

·
Banned
725 Posts
It also seemed that there were quite a few DQ's. How were the stages designed?

------------------

·
Registered
466 Posts
As soon as I muster the guts to drill the hole required on my trigger gaurd, I'm picking up a Ghost. Drilling ANYWHERE on my gun sort of freaks me out. I've seen the rig in action, it looks well worth the bread and the "pain".

·
Super Moderator
22,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, 22nd in L10. If I had shot up to my classification (what I would expect, with Robbie L. in L10), I would have been 10th. Maybe it was big match jitters? Or, maybe I just sucked last weekend! As for the DQ's, most were for breaking the 180. Half the stages required moving or shooting right on the 180 line, and a lot of people went (apparently) a little too far. There were about 300 shooters, and last I heard, twenty-three DQ's. And, Transporter Room wasn't my worst! Outland was much worse. Much.

·
Banned
725 Posts
I was suprised to see Rob shooting in L10. Do you think some of those stages were 180 traps?

------------------

·
Super Moderator
7,941 Posts
I didn’t see any 180 traps. There was a lot of shooting and reloading on the 180, but nothing more than the usual IPSC or IDPA match.

I backed it off a touch when I was near the 180, which would explain my lousy performance, but not my misses.

The only stage I didn’t like was the one in the Rifle butts. “Data in, Garbage out.” Marginal course design for newer shooters.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Originally posted by Tom Freeman:
The only stage I didn’t like was the one in the Rifle butts. “Data in, Garbage out.” Marginal course design for newer shooters.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

One thing thats interesting about that stage....all the scores are very close to each other as far as time goes. Yeah so Leatham beat everyone else (no surprise there) but everyone else was very close to each other time wise.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I actually liked stage 11, I'm a hoser!

Hey, kudos to me! Of all 12 stages that Robbie won, I got closer to beating him on stage 11 than any other 10rd capacity (Lim-10/Prod.) shooter on any of the stages 1 thru 12! ....and I was shooting a Production Glock 20!

I've never been so juiced about being a loser!

[This message has been edited by TVD (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Banned
725 Posts
TVD, How is the G20? What else have you had to compare the G20 against?

------------------

·
Registered
302 Posts
Not to stray too far from RickB's topic, but........I think the full size Glock 10mm is a winner in Production because of it's size compared to most of the other Production eligible guns. With the light recoiling 150 power factor loads, the G20 is indeedy a pleasure to shoot. Then, hell, drop in a magwell, seattle slug, tungsten guide rod and add some 140mm mag extensions you'
ll have your self a nice 19+1rd Limited gun.

RickB, put down the leather bound Elmer Keith books and get out to get your self a lightweight,fast competition rig!

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
My 'IPSC rig' normally consists of my Milt Sparks 1AT holding one of my EAA Witnesses.
When not normal it will be a Sparks HSR holding either a 5.5" 44 Redhawk or a 7.5" 357 Redhawk.
Or it could be a right- or left-handed Galco Yaqui Slide holding a comp'd 9x21 Witness for Open (yep, iron sights).
Or a left- or right-handed Uncle Mikes Kydex holding one of my 1911s.
Or an old leather-wrapped steel Ernie Hill for one of my 4" GP100s.

Some think my idea of an 'IPSC rig' odd.......

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Ghost holster

I have an old Bianchi Open holster that looks like a Ghost Holster variant....
it uses the trigger lock system, that does help with retention, and I have never dropped the gun out of the holster in competition.

Since the holster was designed for compensated 5" guns, it is too long when using a Limited gun. I made a wood block insert with a dowel rod that fits inside the end of the Bianchi holster. This allows the barrel to fit over the dowel rod when using a 5" Limited gun, and is extremely fast. I painted the wooden block black, and it looks pretty decent for a quick conversion from Open to Limited guns.

For production guns, I use either a Comp Tac or Blade Tech.....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.