1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, got into IPSC last year here, and did only 6 shoots, had fun. this spring want to do more than just 6 shoots. So my question is, 45 acp, 230 grain bullet Round nose, 4 grains bullseye, what weight of spring should i have in the gun?

·
Registered
290 Posts
i'm not sure what sort of velocity/power factor you get with 4 grains of bullseye but the majority of 45 acp shooters that reload and use 230 grainers utilize a 14 pound recoil spring. I've tried lighter (12 lbs) but experienced some battering of the frame.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I'm not familiar with the powder but for as cheap as they are buy a range of springs from #14-18.5, and use the heaviest your gun will function with.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
It should work pretty well with 18.5 lb spring.

I might go as light as 15 to take the wobble out of the sight picture.
18.5 is too heavy for IPSC 165 loads. This will cause the gun to bounce a bit and actually increase muzzle displacement and perceived recoil. 16 lb is the stock spring and 14 would probably work pretty well. I use a 12 lb spring and a square profile firing pin stop with no problems. I highly recommend the use of a shock buff. This will give you visual feed back of slide to frame contact; If you are eating up buffs, you're recoil spring is probably too light.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
18.5 is too heavy for IPSC 165 loads. This will cause the gun to bounce a bit and actually increase muzzle displacement and perceived recoil. 16 lb is the stock spring and 14 would probably work pretty well. I use a 12 lb spring and a square profile firing pin stop with no problems. I highly recommend the use of a shock buff. This will give you visual feed back of slide to frame contact; If you are eating up buffs, you're recoil spring is probably too light.

Gammon, are you using an EGW FPS? I was thinking about bypassing the ever so slight 45 degree edge and just going with the square profile.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
AngelDeville said:
...and use the heaviest your gun will function with.
This is what I learned to do, but it is not true in competition land and also might have caused my 1/100 FTF, which seems counterintuitive to me.

I always thought that the heaviest spring that would cycle would give the quickest follow-up shots, at the risk of too much slamming into battery. Not so, but I don't really understand why.

I run 230 gr at nominal velocity 800 (PF 184) and switched to a 14# spring and a buffer, and it is considerably quicker, about .05 or so off my splits. My rare FTF might have gone away, although I only have 150 rounds down the pipe since switching.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I switched to a 14# with 230gr fmj's over 4 gr clays and I'm loving it. Taking the spring down has decreased felt recoil amazingly. Splits are down and accuracy (second shot) is up.

I just got a dillon 650 so I think my loads may change but I'm gonna do my best to keep that spring weight, if not lower it.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I don't know what to think now. I took the same ammo and all my springs to the range. I had previously added a buffer when I went to the 14# spring.

So I was firing single shots, and noting where the muzzle was after the recoil. Started with the 14, went to 15#, then back to 14#. I couldn't tell a difference.

Then I compared 18.5# and 14#, also with a buffer for both. It wasn't even close.

The 18.5# was much better, with the muzzle much closer to the target than with the 14#.

Tomorrow I'll shot some Mozambique drills with 14# vs 18.5 and see if any difference in timing is detectable.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Gammon, are you using an EGW FPS? I was thinking about bypassing the ever so slight 45 degree edge and just going with the square profile.
I am using several EGW stops; I put them in six of my 1911s and clones. I radiused the stop slightly. I'm not sure if it is necessary but it gives me peace of mind. Make sure you use a full power (23 lb) MS to take full advantage of this mod.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
You and your gun are best off with the lightest spring that will allow it to function reliably, emphasis on "reliably". Heavy springs don't help and can actually cause battering when the slide goes into battery.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Is there a difference in "battering" at either end of the cycle?

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
I am using several EGW stops; I put them in six of my 1911s and clones. I radiused the stop slightly. I'm not sure if it is necessary but it gives me peace of mind. Make sure you use a full power (23 lb) MS to take full advantage of this mod.
Thanks, Gammon - I had not taken the MSH spring into consideration, but that certainly makes sense!

Much appreciated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts