1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading on this thread a while back where one of you was at home around 8:00 pm, and a kid came to your door selling magazine. I was unable to locate the thread to expound, but the exact same thing happened to me last night!!!!

I was sitting at home, right after my girlfriend left, and a knock came on my door. I figured she had left some school books so I didn't even look out the peep-hole. I opened the door and there is this short , clean cut looking kid. I gave the usual southern greeting, and he proceeded to explain to me that he was a new neighbor and was going around working on his communication skills. I figured "great", and welcomed and introduced myself ect..
Then he began to tell me that he was taking a class in school, and going around to sell magazines, purely for working on "communication skills". I immeadiately thought of this thread, and it struck me as odd too. Its late at night, dark, and the kid had no type of forms. Meaning, even if I wanted to buy a magazine, there was no form I could directly see for me to fill out, ect...Well I had pulled my door too long ago and was standing at an angle, so as not to let him see my firearm on my side. I asked to see what he had, and he produced a small lamenated sheet with various magazines on it. I then turned and handed it back to him and he looked directly at the gun. He said "is that a gun?". I said yes, I have a CCW. I then inquired as to his name and apt number, of which I will check with the office of my apts. soon, an then told him I was not interested. He left , but I really started to think about the thread I read here, and now it strikes me as really odd that a teacher would even suggest such a thing. I had alot of speech and communication courses and never had a teacher ask us to go door to door. Not only that but when I was looking at the magazines, he asked me what I did for a living. I assumed it was to pitch a particular type of magazine. But then I thought, well ya but it also tells you when I am home, what my average salary is, ect.... I am sure this is a harmless situation and I am just being overly cautious. But like the starter of the other thread, I find this highly suspicious.
But thanks to this forum , I knew exactly what to do and to say, as well as got some information about the individual and a good "long" lengthy look at him. All he got from me was the sight of my gun, the front door, and a "no" I am not interested.

Is there a rash of this thing going around?
Have alot of you encountered it?
And if there is anyone here that actually had a class where this was suggested as a means of building communication, let me know I think it would ease my mind.

Now its not I wouldn't have known what to do if I hadn't read the thread, but it never hurts to read others experiences and encounters. So in short, THANKS GUYS!! :)

And hopefully I wasn't getting cased :(

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes, it sounds strange. Young child, talking to strangers, at their home, no paperwork, later at night....it just doesn't add up.

Letting him see your pistol was an error as he now knows that firearms are in your apartment. It's not that hard to figure out which vehicles belong there and attempt a break-in when no one is at home.

Also, when (not if) the kid tells his friends/family about it.....

Your ability to conceal effectively just dropped as people you don't know anything about now could know you are armed. Combined with the strangeness of the meeting....

Basically,
Having the gun=good
Letting the kid see it=bad

How soon can you move?

Good luck and stay safe,

Steelheart

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He wasn't a kid, kid lol. He was my age, early to middle twenties. And I always carry my firearm on display when I am at home. But maybe I should stop.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I've had several similar occurences, where a young person would come to the door in the evening, supposedly trying to sell magazines. They all had some sort of story about why they were selling magazines and had the laminated sheets of paper with lists of what they were selling. Also, they didn't have any form of transportation in sight. I think that this is merely a ploy by adults who are selling magazines, and they take the young people to the area they want to solicit, let them try to sell, then pick them up afterwards. The adults collect commisions on the sales and give the kids, or some organization to which they belong, a small cut of the commissions. Of course, this really exploits the kids. That being said, there is still the distinct possibility that some of the kids are scouting for persons with bad intentions(e.g., transient goups of criminals such as the so-called "Travelers"). I would treat them no differently than any other door-to-door solicitors of unknown identity or origin- "thanks, but no thanks, and have a good evening". As for concealing a weapon at the door, having it in a folded newspaper is unobtrusive and quick to deploy if needed. It just looks like you were reading the paper when the doorbell rang.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, good info guys. I am also interested in what MUS has to say, he is just like my old man in personality and I am interested in what his opinion is :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Call the school

I'm assuming we're talking college age.

If he said which school (or there are not many in town) call them and have them check it out and get back to you. I can't imagine a state school would/could do such a thing. A private college might but it still seems irregular for a class. It might take a few calls and transfers but they should be able to verify (or not) his story. If it's not legit, I'd call the police and let them follow-up on it.

We have a similar sales tactic yet it involves younger kids selling candy. The adult drops them off at one end of the block and pick them up at the other end. All on the up-and-up but I don't like it either (for me or the kids).

Take care and stay safe,

Trog

·
Registered
137 Posts
is this short , clean cut looking kid
He wasn't a kid, kid lol. He was my age, early to middle twenties
Ok so the storie changed and changed a lot.

We have had the same thing around here, Innr City high-school students are bused out to sell things to the soccor moms in developments and raise monie for there schoold that they can't get in the city.

Any way it's also turned into a try the door thing were they knock and if no one answers they try the door to see if it's open and they rumage the house. Never take anything big, but have stolen jewlery and small items.

Now to your deal:

That's not a "Kid" that sounds like a robery waiting to happen, wonder what he would have done if an unarmed woman answered the door and just opened it?????

As for showing the Gun, I'm torn. Probly not the best in an apartment complex but not the end of the world either. As for telling him you had a CCW, what dose that matter at all? Your home?

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
When I said kid, that was in context to most of the guys I talk to on here are older. So I am a kid, as was the one I spoke with in comparisson to alot of people that post here. And no it didn't "change alot". Just the contextual reference. Which is why I said "kid kid" as in 8 years old. But to a 65 year old man, a 21 year old is a kid.

As far as telling him I had a CCW, I like to inform people of why I am carrying a gun. Not everyone knows the law, and a visit from LEO because I didn't take the 6 seconds to explain, when there are real issues LEO can be handling, just seems to make sense.
Again maybe it was a bad judgement call, thats why I am asking for advice, or how to handle the situation different.

"That's not a "Kid" that sounds like a robery waiting to happen, wonder what he would have done if an unarmed woman answered the door and just opened it?????"

I dunno thats kinda the point. :(

·
Registered
398 Posts
I think there were several things that you did incorrectly at least in my opinion.

First of all, make looking through the peephole part of your door opening regimen. The door is always locked, and I ALWAYS look through the peephole before I open my door. Secondly, I keep my foot behind the door when I open it so if the person at the door tries to push it open, I'm at least attempting to prevent a forced entry.

Second of all, my gun is concealed. There's no need to show it off...the element of surprise that I would have if the "kid" would have tried something is worth it to me. Besides, I don't want every young adult in the neighborhood knowing that I have guns and carry them around on me all the time. You said you don't want an unexpected LEO visit....well, you wouldn't have an unexpected LEO visit if it was concealed, yet you would still be as prepared as if you were carrying openly.

Just sharing some ideas...not trying to start anything..:)

esheato...

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate that :) , No [email protected] what-so-ever, I appreciate the constructive criticism, and I will definately correct the behavior. No better way then to learn from people that "know", and have been doing this for a while :) So no one feel bad about ripping me a new one here, I encourage the ideas :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Better to learn here then to learn the hard way out there, if you know what I mean. I live way out in the country in the middle of no where. If someone knocks on my door in the middle of the night I slip out the back door with my Rem 870 and approach them from behind. I never open the door to anyone after dark. They get painted with a Surefire and covered by my mean ol' evil Remmy 870 assault shotgun.(blk stocks). I have no problems with showing intruder my shotgun.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey Natural

I realy wouldn't worry to much abought it, apartments suck genraly (have you looked into renting a house? A lot of times you can rent a small place for a little bit of a comute but you get a yard!).

As for answering the door armed, I always do. Period. If I deside to open the door is; Open the door with the left hand right foot behind door and wepon in right hand.

To many freaks out there theis days.

If I'm getting food or a delivery (to much take out) then gun's holstered.

·
Registered
469 Posts
hjk said:
...They all had some sort of story about why they were selling magazines and had the laminated sheets of paper with lists of what they were selling. Also, they didn't have any form of transportation in sight. I think that this is merely a ploy by adults who are selling magazines, and they take the young people to the area they want to solicit, let them try to sell, then pick them up afterwards. The adults collect commisions on the sales and give the kids, or some organization to which they belong, a small cut of the commissions. Of course, this really exploits the kids...
This is likely.

Our local investigative news reporter did a story on employment scams. The scammers would advertise a management training program and have applicants (usually young adults) show up to a particular spot. The scammers would then bus them to a distant area and say, "Your first task is to sell as many magazines as you can. We'll be back at 9." Stranded without means of getting back home, the "applicants" would have no choice but to sell the stuff or walk back. If they kids got paid, it was very little.

·
Registered
128 Posts
As far as opening the door goes, and looking through peepholes:

If it is a hostile invasion, you've got to be more careful than the peephole. If the BG is clever (and murderous), he'll just wait till you unlock the door and start firing, or kicking, or whatever. Or he might just wait til he sees a shadow through the peephole and fire since he knows right where you are at that point.

Better is to have a window that looks out to the front door where you can glance out in safety and see more than you would through a little peephole.

Best is to install a little surveillance camera (they're cheap nowadays) and monitor your door from well inside.

Bear in mind, home invaders are usually in packs. Once you've opened the door you're already behind the curve if that's what's happening. Fortunately, they're rare in states with CCW.

But imagine: relatively clean cut guy at door. You open it a bit, foot behind to slow it down. Within 2-10 seconds of opening two other guys run full speed from around the side where you can't see them and slam into your door. You will be knocked back, maybe with a sprained toe already.

Fight's on.

The best solution is prudence, coupled with good home layout. Don't have hiding spots near your doors (outside). Keep hedges and shrubs trimmed for visibility. Make sure lighting is good.

Just some thoughts. I'm sure most of you have already thought about this.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
THe other night (8:00pm) I anwsered my door with my chambered Makarov in my right hand , behind my back , he was trying to sell people around the neighbrohood Home Alarms. He said his company had installed one down the block, and they were just spreading the word, I never took my eyes off of him, and my hand never relaxed on the com-bloc grip. It is funny that he kept glancing down at my conceled right hand as he was speaking. I think that it is strange that, a security company, at night, is going door to door in a rural neighhood, trying to install home alarms.

I had the situtation under control, Barnual 95gr 9X18 was a big comfort.

People pick the wierdest times to go door to door...

·
Registered
579 Posts
That was my post about the 8:00PM salesman. I've dealt with those kinds of saleman back east where they were from the inner city and dropped off for the day to get magazine sales.Our saleman was from TN and they brought him all over New England to sell magazines while his g/f and kid were back home.he said they had him for 6 weeks. I didn't know if it was a cult or what but we passed on giving our business. I also would've concealed my gun.I live in an apartment complex and don't need anyone knowing I own guns.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think these magazine sellers are mostly working on commisions from selling magazines at full suscription prices. They prey on the fact people want to help young people. Around here we have for profit outfits that send young teenagers out selling overpriced candy in strange neighborhoods at night. Normally they don't have vendors licenses, etc. I always ask to see their vendors license and call the cops if they don't have one

I wouldn't offer any explanation for carrying a gun in your own home. They would probably assume you're a cop of some sort. Offering an explantion makes you seem "weak", criminals sense weakness - make yourself a hard target.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great replies guys, thanks :).... Keep em coming hehe :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is a good thread. I live in a suburban area with very low crime. I think this can by kind of deceiving in a way. I rarely have ever given any thought to checking who is at the door when they knock.

These posts have at least made me think that I need to be more careful. Any crime can happen anywhere, sometimes you just get the feeling that it won't happen in suburbia. The problem is getting my wife to understand that. Hence, she stays away from my guns and won't even learn to shoot them!! arg...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts