1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting tired of going to wally world for a box of 100 rounds of Winchester 230 gr. FMJ for right at 21.00. There is a local place here in town that has PMC 230 gr. for 189.00 for a case of 1000 rds. I've never fired this ammo before and want to try it out due to the price and conveniance of not having to take a detour to wallmart for rds. on the way to the range.

Thanks, Flip.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
PMC ball works fine in all of my 1911s - even my Wilsons. It is the ammo stocked by Gunsite for their class & ammo packages. Try a few boxes to make sure it works in your gun. If it does, then take the plunge.

Depending on the sales tax in your area, there may be better deals out there on the web for good .45 ball ammo. S&B, Federal AE, Speer, MFS, Fiocchi, and PMC can be had for less, depending on where you are in relation to the vendor. Check this forum section for some good vendors. Be sure to check the delivered cost, including freight and any "handling" or c/c surcharges.

Good luck!

M

·
0 Posts
I think I paid $179 for my last case of PMC, but $189 is a decent price. Better than $210 @ Wal-Mart.

I just bought 5 boxes of the Winchester value packs at Wal-Mart yesterday and paid $19.97 per box.

How come it's $21 a box where you live? That's weird, I thought Wal-Mart pricing was pretty much the same everywhere.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mowerman, I live in Texas. That 21.00 is out the door. I'm going to give PMC a try this weekend and see how it works out.

Robert.

M

·
0 Posts
I got ya, I guess with tax I pay $21 out the door as well.

That's a pretty good price if you only want a hundred or so.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
RobertD.:

All my guns like PMC. It's decent stuff for the price. As was mentioned above, you may try just a few boxes of it before buying a whole case, just in the off chance your pistol doesn't like the stuff.

Happy Shooting!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be honset

189.00 isn't too far of from the price of the white box at wally world, but it isn't a hit of miss thing when it comes to availability there. Wall-mart never has more than one or two boxes (if any) at a time. I'm having ejection problems right now that are pistol related (either the extractor or ejector) and will try a hundred rounds of PMC this weekend to see how it goes. If I have any malfunctions other that the ones I'm having now, I'll stick with the white box. I wish my new ED Brown Hardcore extractor and extended ejector will get here before friday.

Robert.

·
Registered
97 Posts
In their latest catalog, CDNN have PMC for $167.80/1000 w/free shipping, plus a $2.00 signature fee.

When I run out of Blazer I'll be tempted.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Walmart will order a full case for you if you talk to the right people.

I would recomend you stay away from the fiocchi for a while as it was a little bit of an issue for my Kimber. Do a search, and you'll find pics I posted on the issue.

I put 200 or so rds of PMC ball through my kimber, and bought the case for of 1000rds for 200 after tax. It was 230grn FMJ. So, 189 sounds about right. I liked it, it shot very well, I have recovered one of the rds from my backstop, and it held together well despite smacking a rock(which made the recovery easier), and was well groved by the lands and groves of the barrel. The FMJ winchester I shot impacted a similar rock in the same backstop and esentially blew out. So, I don't know if that means the winchester is loaded hoter or if the PMC has a thicker jacket. I shot a better group with the PMC than the winchester though.

Good luck.
Wes

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
I just bought a case of Federal American Eagle from Natchez Shooting supply for $8.35 a box plus shipping. They have CCI Blazer even cheaper.
It's a case price special they are running for a limited time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
t-tac said:
I just bought a case of Federal American Eagle from Natchez Shooting supply for $8.35 a box plus shipping. They have CCI Blazer even cheaper.
It's a case price special they are running for a limited time.
[/Q

I just saw a case there for 6.35 per box of FAEs 45acp. Probably order them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts