1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm totally new to the 1911 types,but after much reasearch (including this board)am very interested in getting into this...Hobby?....Anyhow I thought I'd start out with the original.I kinda like the utilitarian looks of the basic 1991 A1 models and was wondering if these guns would be servicable for defense out of the box.

Please guive me examples of accuracy achieved and/or problems that might need to be adressed.Eventually I'd like to have some work done as the cashflow permits,but would like to be able to make this piece usefull with just the purchase price for now.

Thanks for any info you all can share.Byron

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
New guns are a lot like new motorcycles in that you can't 'test drive' them before buying. Oh sure, you can rent a similar model at a range or shoot a friend's gun... but all are different. Even if sequentially serial numbered. Recent 1991A1s have been great, very well done. Go with it.... if it needs a reliability job (unlikely) then send it off. Most 'smiths charge about a hundred bucks.

Test fire several different types of ammo in whatever magazines you plan to use (I recommend Wilson's 47Ds in ALL 1911s). Stick with what works flawlessly. Let us know what you end up getting and how everything works out.

Callahan

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Harry,Its good to here that Colt's quality is reaching a higher standard recently.I've heard this mentioned in several posts.

I wonder what the change is about?I saw a TV show(magazine article?) a while ago that showed the foreign(British?)owner of Colt.What an imbecile!He seemed to know nothing about firearms or the American firearm culture.Seemed to be more interested in pleasing the very forces that would destroy him,by dropping any/all good new self defence/carry models that his own operation was trying to expand Colts market share with.Maybe this clown is long gone and Colt finally has the ownership it deserves.One who's sole mission is to put out superior quality firearms for the American public.

Either way the recent jump in quality makes me feel good about my decision.

·
Administrator
74,689 Posts
Recent production M1991A1s are just fine. You may like it just the way it came out of the box. As long as you use good magazines reliability shouldn't be an issue.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought a 1991A1 in 1994. It was typical of Colt's quality the early part of the decade. The first time I field stripped it the barrel link pin fell out! After several hundred dollars worth of modifications (and some hard won lessons) it became a fine pistol.

A few weeks ago I bought another new 1991A1. There has been a vast improvement in the quality and fit of these pistols since I purchased the first one. The only modifications I've made to the new one are a set of Rosewood grips and a National Match barrel bushing. Don't intend to do anything else to it. It shoots well and functions flawlessly. Seems like Colt finally got it right.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Colt has made vast imporvements as stated and I would not hesitate to buy a current 1991a1 and use it as a defense gun.

·
Registered
293 Posts
byron2112, i have two full size 91A1's that have never given me a bit of trouble. like you i like the fact that they are simple.

i carry one every day to protect my life and the lives of others, what more can i say?

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The 1991's ive owned have reminded me of an old Chevy truck i used to drive...the harder i drove it, the better it ran.

Shootem, shootem, then shootem some more. Only thing i really dont like about them is the plastic msh and trigger (its just a personal thing), and the sharp edges.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Back in 1995, I purchased a brand new 1991A1 Commander. I did not have any modifications done to it. Over a 6 month period I shot exactly 5,000 through it. This includes all major brands of ammo, full metal jacket, and hollowpoint. I also shot a 1,000 rounds of commercial reloads from Dallas Reloading Service. Guess how many malfunctions I had? Each round was documented. Two!!!!! That's not bad. I've sen more then that with the Sig, Beretta, and Glock . I think the Colt pistol is one heck of a deal. Clean it. Lubricate it.It will run forever.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I owned a 96 model, it was very accurate and reliable, the only thing it didnt like was semi-wadcutters.

------------------
Kevin

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I just bought one and find it very serviceable. Fit and finish on all the 91's I've seen is as good as any other maker.

Gunsamerica.com has several at very good prices, well below what I've seen in the stores. Buying used is always a gamble, but it paid off for me...might for you, too.

Another option, one that's even cheaper, would be the Argentine Sistema available through cruffler.com. For only $300, you get a good gun that is ready for upgrades or as-is shooting. Unless you have regulations requiring a firing pin block for open or concealed carry, like LEO's and security personnel, a Sistema would be most viable.

let us know how it goes.

------------------
When reason fails...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Found a used 1991 compact for the wife a few months ago. I was suprised at the fit of the grip safey. Looks like it was cut from the frame instead of being a seperate part. Other than adjusting the extractor tension and restaking the plunger tube it needed nothing. Runs great and eat's everything we feed it. Accuracy is very good considering the short sight radius.

TOny G.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I bought mine new in '93. The front sight came off after 300 or so rounds, and was re-staked by the 'smith at the shop while I waited. Otherwise, it's been great. Reliable and accurate.

In '97 I had hi-vis fixed sights, a long trigger, an extended thumb safety, and a steel mainspring housing installed. It's one of my favorites.

·
3,001 Posts
I would buy any reasonably priced Colt 1911 in stock form from any time period in their manufacture. Maybe I am lucky, but MOST of the Colts I have had the pleasure of shooting extensively were the early 90s or so called "dark days" of Colt. Never had to work on one that hadn't been worked on already.

1991s are quite accurate out of the box in my experience.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I bought 2 new stainless steel Colts last month, and they are excellent. I must say the quality of Colts have improved a great deal. So far they are accurate, reliable, and tight. I have not had any failure to feed problems or anything. Buy a Colt now before Jaydee terminates your membership!

------------------
Hero45
NRA Member

[This message has been edited by Hero45 (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
861 Posts
Byron, I have a '91A1, which I bought a year or so ago. It has proven to be very reliable. Best group I've ever shot was about 2" at 25 yards with S & B 230gr FMJ off sand bags. I used it to qualify for my concealed carry permit. No problems. I carry the '91A1 or a Colt Officers. Since the '91A1 has a firing pin safety, I feel that it an excellent choice for cocked and locked carry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts