1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23,176 Posts
No ramps and if you want a shooter then I would find one made after about 1984 when Colt started to headspace on the mouth of the case, not the semi rim.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
No ramps and if you want a shooter then I would find one made after about 1984 when Colt started to headspace on the mouth of the case, not the semi rim.
The first headspaced on the case mouth chamber was the 1986 Super Elite. The general run of the mill Supers from Colt didn't get the same till 1990+-...

I have a dozen Colts and none are ramped...the one ramped gun I do have is a Kimber Stainless Target II and it is an excellent shooter...

Bob

·
Registered
23,176 Posts
Interesting.

My experience with the 38 Super is I traded into a Colt in the 70s with 500 rounds of used empty brass and the reloading dies. It never impressed me much. After some time I traded it off with 400 rounds of more used empty brass and the reloading dies.

Flash forward to 2009 and a friend bought an XSE LW Commander in 38 Super. I was standing there when he bought it and knowing he did not reload I reminded him the ammo was sort of pricey. He sold it to me within the year. My idea was to put a 9mm (9x19) barrel in it and I put a Nowlin barrel /bushing in it. This was funny as heck during the last panic when you couldn't find 9mm but 38 Super was all over at a buck or two more for a box of 50. In the meantime I realized the little fellow was accurate so I started to collect brass and bought some new reloading dies. Interesting round. I don't want to load these really hot so am O.K. with non ramped chambers. I did buy another Colt in 38 Super in 2013.

I would probably have more 38 Supers but then I started playing with 10mm which is more interesting. On the other hand if you are really interested in hot 9mm and are into reloading then I would read up on the 9x23 Winchester also. If you are O.K. with the 10mm breachface then .357 SIG or 9x25 Dillon might be worth a look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts