1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the frame lock, such as some of the Strider knives and on the Sebenza a stronger design than the liner lock, as on some of the other Strider knives and on the Emerson Commader?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
John T Wylie Jr said:
agreed...
though when lookin at the Strider AR , most call it a liner lock...however looking at the thickeness of those liners , it is more like a Framelock with scales :D
There's an important point you brought out. I don't believe the biggest advantage of a framelock over a liner lock is strength. A well-done liner lock is incredibly strong, some marginal extra strength isn't a big difference. No, the real difference between a framelock and a liner lock is reliability. And the difference is huge, IMO. Enough that I personally won't take a liner lock for hard use, but no problem with a well-done framelock.

The difference here is that when you hold the knife firmly, with a framelock your hand engages the lock and actually tightens and reinforces the lockup. With a liner lock, the flesh of your hands sinks around the lock, and can degrade the lockup to make the lock more prone to accidently disengage -- and can even completely disengage it.

Don't be too complacent just because a liner lock has a thick liner. Yah, it's probably strong, but no less prone to accidental disengagement than any other.

Joe

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
On the subject of liner locks, does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on the Emerson linerlock?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Emerson liner locks are among those most frequently complained about on the forums. Whether forum complaints represent typical failure rates or not, you can decide, but the sheer number of complaints is disturbing.

Joe

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Honestly juding by my Emersons that I have and countless ones I have had in my hands ... I think it is more of a " jump on the bandwagon " type complaining thing than an actual issue.

If there were that much of a problem with the Emersons , why are so many dealers selling all they can get in ?? :confused:

I have a friend who has a CQC7 with a snapped blade... he was using his folder as a prybar... DOH ! ... lock didnt fail but the blade did , as I would expect any folder to do with the way it was pryed with in his big meathook of hands....

·
Registered
407 Posts
of the emersons i've had (productions) i've never had one fail, but i've had them have a bit of movement when locked. but i've seen as much or more of this with spydercos, bokers, etc.
i personally think the emerson thing is a bandwagon. they had some qc problems at one time, but improved it.
i guess it all goes back to the knife's intended purpose.
cheers,
Derek

·
Banned
967 Posts
As a dealer [ discounted retail ], I get to order and have them come back with issues, all makes.

Had 4, maybe 5 Emerson linerlock commanders come back last year with problems of lockup, different orders, different times of the year.

Two customers would not take them new after the blades released like slipjoints from the box.

1 Spyder Millie came back with a lockup problem and clip screw stripped.

Got so I won't order the EK for people, it's a pain to get them back to the dist. and then there is the customers satisfaction and distrust as well.

Thats not jumping on a bandwagon. I think EK sells plenty of knives, may have had a bad run of luck at one time with this issue and the percentage of problems may not be any bigger than anothers product.

It's like buying a Ford, having all kinds of problems with it, then not ever buying a Ford again from the experience.

The lesson: make sure your quality control lets very few out that are faulty, otherwise people who experience the product as a new customer are not so inclined to buy another again anytime soon.

Brownie

·
Registered
407 Posts
also keep in mind that the commander is a beast of a design...that is alot of blade out there where one can get all sorts of leverage on that lock.
i'd love to see a frame lock commander, i've seen a few customs.

however none of my commanders have ever had problems, nor have my 2 super commanders either.

guess it's the luck of the draw.
have heard that about spydie mili's though...only have 1 liner so the g10 flexes a bit i would imagine helps get the lock to slip.

cheers,
Derek

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
In my opinion, the Sebenza can not be beat in terms of QC.
QC with the Strider folders can be spotty. I had an AR that didn't lock up very well and also had some blade play. The second one I bought was just about perfect. I've heard of many people needing to send their Strider folders back for QC issues. That is virtually unhreard of with Sebenzas.
On the positive side, Strider customer service is excellent and they will do what they need to do to correct any problems.

·
Banned
967 Posts
SteveW13:

Best QC and sturdiest linerlocks?

Not in any particular order:

Sebenza
Masters of Defense
Microtech
Strider framelocks

Best QC and secure lockup period:

In no particular order:

Spydie Chinook
Tarani/Blade-tech Kerambits
Strider

Thats just off the top of my head here in a quick response to the question. I'm sure I'm missing some maker/manufacturer though, and of course, I'm familiar with these as I own them, or have owned them and used them in the past.

As another stated above, the Striders have been spotty at times as well. I carry the SnG model daily now. It's a framelock I trust to not fail at the most inopportune time.

Best lockup I've seen, bar none, is the Chinook lockback.

Hope that helps, keep in mind, opinions are like A$$holes, everyones got one.

Brownie

·
Registered
407 Posts
i've had some spotty dealings with liner locks from microtech...both were socoms and mini socoms.
no problems with the locking bar on the socom elite.
no problems with the lcc's either.

best frame locks are strider and sebenza-period. to me, a sng is like a sebenza with a little less class and a lot more attitude!

i've had terzuola liner locks fail, and seen cheap boker liner locks hold...at the end of the day, these are all somewhat man made and there is a room for error, regardless if it's a $35 knife or a $250 knife....it's just harder to swallow when the $250 beuaty does not work right after you didn't eat lunch for 2 months to save up for it!!!

bottom line, if you want reliability, go with sng or sebenza.

a linerlock i like alot is the plain jane emerson cqc-7. i've never been able to flex one out. the mach 1 is not bad either if you want something bigger. but the cqc7's are typically spot on.
cheers,
Derek

·
Banned
967 Posts
I've seen problems with the mini socoms as well. Not so with the socom here though I'm sure they get through sometimes.

dwenslen:

I like that, an SnG is a sebbie with an attitude and less class.

Good, very good description.

I'm no longer carrying anything but the SnG for defense, until I get the MARSOC's in, then one of them and the SnG at all times I think.

Ocasionally I'll be seen with the Millie as well. Just something about that knife in s30v that rings a good bell for me.

Brownie

·
Registered
407 Posts
Mr. Reeve is about as nice a guy as you'll ever meet.
the passion for doing his thing right is great.

Mick and Duane are passionate about having stuff that works with minimum BS.
I've just cleaned up and re sharpened my brothers strider that spent a year in afghanistan and 6 months in iraq...it's amazing how it still looks as gritty and drab as it did when it was new!

if someone is willing to spend $$ on the front end, they won't have to worry about it on the back end...kinda like the choice between a Llama/charles daly 1911 or a kimber/colt.

cheers,
Derek

·
Registered
538 Posts
brownie0486:
"I'm no longer carrying anything but the SnG for defense, until I get the MARSOC's in, then one of them and the SnG at all times I think."
-----------------

Hi Brownie,

Will the SnG and MARSOC "pop" open? I thought I'd read that they were pretty stiff opening.

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
407 Posts
you can adjust the tension if you want, and you can't really slam or snap them open, due to the design-it is a compact design with good grip and a light blade...this does not fare well for snapping knives open.

actually the SnG is as smooth as my older well used sebenzas...oddly enough my SnG is smoother when i've degreased it with brake cleaner....gues a light oil or grease can gunk up the works.
cheers,
Derek

1 - 20 of 33 Posts