1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst reviewing options to control humidity in and to illuminate my gunsafe, I got to thinking ... ya'll know this is going to be bad ...

It appears to me that a Goldenrod or similar device used to prevent rust in a gun safe is nothing more than a resistive heater whose purpose is to keep the equipment in a gun safe warm enough that the water vapor does not condense on it. They are available in a couple different sizes as low as 12 watts. They cost around $40.

I also want to illuminate my gun safe. Motion detecting lamps are available that would fit the bill, but cost $25+.

Well, you know, a couple of 7.5 watt nightlights from my local discount chain store cost less than $5. That puts 15 watts of energy, that ends up as heat, in my gunsafe while at the same time lighting it up. I think I have killed two birds with one stone (or five bucks). What did I miss?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Yes that is essentially what a golden rod does.

What you have done, is also what i have done. Just leave it on all day long and you have your self a light source and a dehumidifier

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
Yes, the Goldenrod et al is just a small heater. It reduces the relative humidity by increasing the temperature, with no effect on the actual water content of the air.

Lightbulbs will do the same and as you say are cheaper.
A Goldenrod will last a lot longer than a light bulb left on, though. How long to pay for the rod? I dunno. And you want a light anyhow.

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
Your thinking is correct. Even so, the Goldenrod is a useful, positive contributor towards preventing rust.

I prefer to use actual moisture absorption devices (the rechargeable versions). My 1911s in storage are packed within Bore-Stores bags, which are then placed in watertight containers, with the moisture absorption devices and a battery powered humidity gauge also placed in the watertight containers.

I regularly look at the gauges, which typically show a humidity level of 20% to 24% (when the outside humidity, measured by identical gauges, is over 50%).

A lot of this comes down to where you live and whether you have any valuable corrosion--prone firearms (e.g., charcoal blued or color-case hardened).

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
Oh, I've GOT a heater, Remington brand version. It works.
A friend who did not want to drill a hole in his gun safe is going with desiccant.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yes, the Goldenrod et al is just a small heater. It reduces the relative humidity by increasing the temperature, with no effect on the actual water content of the air.

Lightbulbs will do the same and as you say are cheaper.
A Goldenrod will last a lot longer than a light bulb left on, though. How long to pay for the rod? I dunno. And you want a light anyhow.
Well, in theory they are the same, in practice, not so much.

Goldenrods are designed to be placed at the bottom of the safe so that the heated air rises. In order to work most effectively, the safe should not be airtight, but allow the warmed air to escape. That allows the moisture the warmer air holds to vent to the outside rather than condensing on metal items in the safe. The actual Goldenrod folks state the rod must be at the bottom of the safe to work the best. So putting a light at the top may not provide the same benefit. We all know that warm air is lighter than cold air, so cold air may sit at the bottom of the safe and allow moisture to condense onto the colder items at the bottom.

And light bulbs burn out. If a bulb burns out right after you close a safe and it's a month or two before you get a chance to go shooting or check on the safe, that's a long time without protection. Is it worth saving a few dollars for the risk?

To try and save a few dollars by using light bulbs instead of a tool specially made for the job just seems like penny wise, pound foolish.

But, that's just my opinion. Others vary.

dakotaTex

·
Registered
383 Posts
goldenrod is 19.99 at Midway and other outlets if you spent the $$$ on a safe why not just pony up the $20

·
Banned
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, in theory they are the same, in practice, not so much.

Goldenrods are designed to be placed at the bottom of the safe so that the heated air rises. In order to work most effectively, the safe should not be airtight, but allow the warmed air to escape. That allows the moisture the warmer air holds to vent to the outside rather than condensing on metal items in the safe. The actual Goldenrod folks state the rod must be at the bottom of the safe to work the best. So putting a light at the top may not provide the same benefit. We all know that warm air is lighter than cold air, so cold air may sit at the bottom of the safe and allow moisture to condense onto the colder items at the bottom.

And light bulbs burn out. If a bulb burns out right after you close a safe and it's a month or two before you get a chance to go shooting or check on the safe, that's a long time without protection. Is it worth saving a few dollars for the risk?

To try and save a few dollars by using light bulbs instead of a tool specially made for the job just seems like penny wise, pound foolish.

dakotaTex
Problem one: heat rises. Solution one: put two lights in the bottom, one in the top.

Problem two: they burn out. Solution two: I go in the safe weekly at a minimum. And if they burn out and I happen to be on a three week vacation ... My guns'll be fine without them.

Penny wise, pound foolish? I don't think so. I see no insurmountable flaws with my plan other than I'll need to find time for yet another range trip to shoot up the money I saved :)

While I don't think the potential problems you pointed out are cause for me to be concerned, thanks for taking the time to point them out.

·
Banned
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
goldenrod is 19.99 at Midway and other outlets if you spent the $$$ on a safe why not just pony up the $20
Because I have not just a cheaper solution, but what I consider to be a better solution. Solves two problems for $5 instead of one for $20.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Hmmm, I guess that will work. Alas, the light bulb will eventually fail. regardless of when you discover it, it will have to be replaced. The Goldenrod comes with a lifetime warranty. If it ever fails, you get a new one for free. Thus, the Goldenrod pays for itself in about 2 years.

I don't know, but by the time you buy the night light and the cordage to install it, you'll probably be over the cost of the Goldenrod anyway. Of course, the lights do add light...hmmm.

Then again, based on your screen name, you do live in a low humidity area. Do you really need anything to combat condensation?

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I prefer to use actual moisture absorption devices (the rechargeable versions).
That's what I use in my safe. Made by Remington and rechargeable.

You could put one of these in with a light bulb and you'll find out pretty quick how efficient the bulb is or isn't.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Use desiccant gets rid of moisture. You see it every day it's those little packages you see in most everything you buy and wonder what the hell is this.
Google it on where to buy, it's used by most anyone that manufactures something and ships it, it comes in cloth bags. buy a phone, computer, and a gun and you will see a package of it.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts

dakotaTex
Let's see, invest $1000's in firearms, and cheap out on protecting them.. I'm with 'ya..

·
Banned
3,845 Posts
Considering I have into six figures in may safes no problem with the Goldenrod. Have been using them for 30 years. When I got a 2nd safe bought another one and it has lasted 6 years so far. It is the one that is 2ft I think. Never had any corrosion issues and I live in a fairly humid area.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Problem one: heat rises. Solution one: put two lights in the bottom, one in the top.

Problem two: they burn out. Solution two: I go in the safe weekly at a minimum. And if they burn out and I happen to be on a three week vacation ... My guns'll be fine without them.

Penny wise, pound foolish? I don't think so. I see no insurmountable flaws with my plan other than I'll need to find time for yet another range trip to shoot up the money I saved :)

While I don't think the potential problems you pointed out are cause for me to be concerned, thanks for taking the time to point them out.
Hot air rises not heat. Put whatever you want in your safe. If it's lights or a heater or dessicant. I would err on the side of caution for $15 but it's your choice.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
Question for professor Einstein: What percentage of energy consumed by a Goldenrod goes to producing light? ;)

·
Registered
736 Posts
I use an 18' length of LED rope light mounted hidden around the inside of the door frame. It provides light and heat throughout the entire safe and looks nice doing it. Cost me about $20.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts