1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, I know there are those who will say to only customize a springfield or colt but I have a Metroarms 9mm american classic commander and have been thinking of what id like in a 1911and the job will be fairly expensive.

Here is the list ive come up with:

25lpi fs checkering
Bobtailed Heinie magwell
Square trigger guard
French cuts
Ball cuts
Egw bushing and plug
Flush cut and crowned muzzle
Radical carry bevel
Some sort of refinishing

This list will cost about $1200ish so im wanting some opinions from you folks. Id prefer not to spend an extra $6-800 on an more expensive 9mm 1911 commander if i can use this one with no issue.

i also understand i could sell this one and split the difference but i paid less than half of what a colt would cost so it doesnt help much.

The only thing I would be concerned about is the frame and slide. I hear mixed things about metal quality from the Philippines though i think a lot comes from (for lack of a better term) "elitists" who feel it necessary to justify their expensive choice by bashing a less expensive one. For example, hk owners who trash glocks as "cheap." Anyway, Id hate to drop $1200 and have a frame or slide crack on me, though i dont think i shoot nearly enough for that to happen.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with this, but I've seen nice customization of a Ruger 1911. They are on the lower end of the price range.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with this, but I've seen nice customization of a Ruger 1911. They are on the lower end of the price range.
Unfortunately no 9mm variations. If you were going to get a .45 to customize, the Ruger should be considered.

Every time I am about to "pull the trigger" on some sort of custom job I talk myself into spending the cash on another gun...I say that as I am currently saving for a few mods to my Defender. :)

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
The answer may best be found by contacting a smith that you have mind.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Everyone values different things. If I were going to drop $1200 on upgrading a gun, I would want to know that the components used in that gun were rock solid...Good quality parts (preferably no MIM or at least reputable MIM parts), good sights, good trigger, good frame and slide. But that's me.

And I say this knowing nothing about Metroarms. If you're happy with the quality of the components, then upgrade away. But it sounds like you're unsure of the slide and frame. So maybe look into those before you drop the cash.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
As far as resale value, i dont think many custom jobs hold their value. I plan on keeping this gun but i know plans could change. I only want a single stack 9mm and was considering calling springfield custom shop or alchemy because i hear they are two of the best.

What is the cheapest "quality" 9mm commander out there?

Im hoping a metroarms expert comes along before too long.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
depends on if you care about resale value.

Persoanlly i couldn't care less I've never bought anything to resell it. I buy toys for me, and if you're like that then yes send it off.

If you're worried about values then no, I don't think it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
Resale value is certainly a consideration. A custom Colt from a wonderful customizer will be worth much more than what a cheap gun will be, never mind the original cost of the gun. Put lipstick on a pig and you have a fancy pig. And virtually no resale value.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
My vote would be sell it buy something that will have some resale value when complete..
I see this type of comment posted quite a bit when these threads come up. Is resale value really that important when making the decision to have custom work done? If I am paying to have a 1911 customized to my liking, chances are I am not worried about selling it later on.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Why would you think this?

I have 2 custom colts from Alchemy. I have no doubt that if I sold them I would get what I have in them or more. If it's built by a reputable shop on a good base it'll hold its value. If you carry it, you may lose the cost of a refinish or so but I can live with that.

As far as resale value, i dont think many custom jobs hold their value. I plan on keeping this gun but i know plans could change. I only want a single stack 9mm and was considering calling springfield custom shop or alchemy because i hear they are two of the best.

What is the cheapest "quality" 9mm commander out there?

Im hoping a metroarms expert comes along before too long.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Never say "I will never sell it" unless you have a crystal ball into the future.

No one can say that they will never be in real need of some extra money in the future. Medical costs would be high on the list of possibilities. Ask me how I know...

Personally, I have guns that are just like money in the bank. I would certainly not spend 1200 bucks on a $400. gun.

But that's just me.

Bob

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
^ This
A $500 metro arms 1911 with $2000 worth of custom work is worth
<$500 cause its used...
Joe

·
Registered
21,856 Posts
I agree, resale value will be nil. But even a name brand gun with all that personalized cosmetic work would be slow to move and not recover but a fraction of the money spent.

But it is your gun, fix it up to suit yourself.

I recommend you shoot it a while, say 500-1000 rounds, and not get into dressing it up unless it is fully reliable, adequately accurate, and shows no unusual wear or breakage.

I do not know what you mean by "Bobtailed Heinie magwell" and cannot find such a product on the Henie www. It does not look to me like a Heinie magwell could be bobtailed without major modification.
Even then, the bobtail considerably changes the feel of the gun. Be sure to handle one before you buy. I had the first bobtail on my block and did not keep it long.

Me? I would put the money into a trigger job, ammo, holster, training, and match entry.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I have 2 custom colts from Alchemy. I have no doubt that if I sold them I would get what I have in them or more. If it's built by a reputable shop on a good base it'll hold its value. If you carry it, you may lose the cost of a refinish or so but I can live with that.
THIS is great advice. I second it. Use a quality donor, use a quality shop, SACS or Alchemy are GREAT. I have used Rob at Alchemy for a LOT of work and NEVER been disappointed. Your gun will retain it's original value PLUS the added value of being built by a Master. ***Keep Your Reciepts

You should be able to fine a good donor for under $1000 and put 12 to 15 in it and get at least $2K or more for it most anytime

PS while you're having all that fine cosmetic work done, do not neglect the trigger and fire system, barrel, etc. It'll pay off in spades shooting or re-selling...jus sayin

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Unfortunately a Metro Arms will always be just that.
This^^^^^^^

Plus the list you have there is going to cost you more than $1200 and, except for the barrel bushing, it's all cosmetic. You're not addressing the quality of the internal components and small parts, how anything fits, the action/trigger, or the function/reliability/accuracy. You'd invest all that money and end up with a nice looking gun that functions and performs like a box stock Metro Arms.

I love a good looking custom 1911 but form follows function. My custom guns are built to perform first, then they're made to look good.

IMO, you need to rethink your build or the gun you're going to use. The better quality the gun is to start with the less will need to be done/changed when you have it built.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
My concern for a host for a custom project isn't necessarily resale value, but overall value. If I'm going to put $2k+ into a gun, every component needs to be high quality, to include the frame and slide, and it must be well fit. I also have no desire to own a $2k+ Rock Island or Ruger 1911; for that kind of money you're into the well known quality of Baer or Brown at least.

As was mentioned, lipstick on a pig don't make it the prom queen...

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.