1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the concept, but do shock buffers truly help or do they introduce a potential problem into the mix? I'd hate to extend the life of my Custom Classic only to potentially have a problem caused by the buffer.

What do you think?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I put a shock buffer in both my target and custom classic. It changes the way brass ejects, they are thrown more forward. I really like how it changed the feel of the recoil. It is much more of a push. I have had not reliablity changes.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
If your gun runs reliably with them, use them - they help. If your gun FTF/FTE, don't use them. Some guns like them (mine), and others don't.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by shane45-1911:
If your gun runs reliably with them, use them - they help. If your gun FTF/FTE, don't use them. Some guns like them (mine), and others don't.
Shane's standard quote on the subject. (Don't go any deeper than that)

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by Gargoyle:
Shane's standard quote on the subject. (Don't go any deeper than that)
Thanks Gargoyle - I'm THIS > < close to never responding to another shok buff post, as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry guys didn't realize it was a touchy subject. Haven't been lurking long enough.

I'll give them a shot after I've broken in my new gun and see.

Thanks.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Hey kp - no problem. Do a search under "buff" or "buffers" and get the Anacin or Advil handy. This topic has led to fisticuffs by some of our members!

·
Administrator
73,400 Posts
The old Army .45s never had them!

However, now that mine are old and semi-retired, I give them the firearm equivalent of Geritol- a Wilson Shok-Buff whenever I DO shoot them.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
I generally use a .200" buff along with a 12 lb. spring in my .45 and .40 1911s. All the brass goes forward. The slide cycles very fast. The .200" is too long for some guns. It is most important to make sure the spring is the correct length.

·
Registered
645 Posts
No, it does not do much of anything but prevent a sling shot loading of the first round in some guns.

The buffer is between the recoil spring and the guide rod head.

The metal to metal slamming and possible peening is happening between the guide rod head and the frame.

If a little peening bothers you after a zillion rounds fired, then use a Cominolli frame saver guide rod. It has a cushion/buffer between the frame and the guide rod head where the slamming takes place.

I just use a buffer on the 45 Super.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I was a believer in recoil buffers until I cleaned my gun one day and noticed that the buffer was pretty shredded. A little more shooting and the rubber would have been all over my gun. When I stopped using buffers, I thought I'd feel a difference in recoil. I didn't. The gun feels exactly the same to me with or without recoil buffers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was using Wilson Shock Buffs in my Custom Classic when I took John Farnam's Defensive Pistol class this summer. John teaches the slingshot technique for releasing the slide and my Classic's slide wouldn't release with the buffer installed. I think John is right in stressing use of the slingshot (a gross motor skill that works under stress) so I gave up using the shock buffer in the Classic.

However, in my carry gun, a Pro CDP, I use the same shock buff because I'm able to use the slingshot with it even with the buff installed. Given the Pro CDP's aluminum frame, the shock buff gives me some peace of mind that I'm protecting the frame while practicing.

I ran one Wilson shock buff in the Custom Classic for over 1000 rounds and other than looking a bit compressed it held up very well. No signs of shredding at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts